Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldr Sky - adult visual novel that's a better cyberpunk RPG than CP2077

Baldr Sky is better cyberpunk RPG than Cyberpunk 2077. More interesting and viable builds, better character progression, incredible pure waifus instead of degenerated whores, likeable protag, better bromance, fun and responsive battle mechanics, 7 totally different endings, nice atmosphere, better soundtrack, intriguing story and many more. Baldr Sky totally shits on Cyberpunk, you might think it's a joke, but it's not a joke and 96% positive reviews on steam clearly show that.

I don't understand the comparisons. This just looks like top-down isometric Capcom. Do you have a video more representative of the features described?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'll bite, I love cyberpunk but have zero interest in 2077. I loved Persona 4 and that was just a VN pretty much.

Will report back.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Is it really cyberpunk? Just looks like anime mech genre to me. Everything that has computers and machines is not cyber or punk.

I really hope that it's not just blowing smoke up my ass.

3BC943B06777BFE120680320FB39E02126B5F6EE

I'll report back when I know more.

Endemic

Arcane
I only got about halfway through the first route, but here are my impressions so far:

Baldr Sky does have some of Cyberpunk 2077's storytelling flaws: it's too focused on mundane aspects of characters and straightforward confrontations, not enough time is spent on exploring the cyberpunk themes (the setting is begging for some more Shadowrun-style politicking too). Long flashbacks in-between segments of present day action cause poor pacing; did we really need another amnesiac protagonist?

That said, there are some appreciated nods\homages to Neuromancer and other related works, and the mech fights can be good fun (shame there aren't more of them - although you can avoid\affect some combat via dialogue choices). The descriptions have some neat details; even though the VN is fully voice-acted, the writers didn't forget to add to scenes with the narrative\inner monologue text as well. I'm told there are a few key decisions per route that decide the character endings.

There's a decent amount of customization for your mech, which gradually improves with experience + story-gated additions. As you can see, your attacks are context-sensitive, so the same button combinations will do several things (much like a mosou game).

lSbhUSp.png

Ex2ozRz.png

There's a practice mode as well:

teFZJ3Z.png

Matrix rules here. I like Rain so far, I hope she gets a good arc in the second half...

NIAVxon.png

Probably the most ridiculous looking doctor I've seen in a cyberpunk-style story (and unlicensed of course), but apparently she knows her stuff. Which is why we're letting her mess with Kou's neural interface...

MZOdugi.png

jac8awol

Arbiter
Cool, this was on my wishlist for a while, forgot about it. Bought it today thanks to this thread.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
The Cyberpunk wrappings are indeed decent sir but the focus of this game is most definitely on interacting with young women which usually I could at least understand the appeal of but...

They are all dead...

All the interactions are via your memory coming back... why am I expected to care about these once I know they are all dead?

Very depressing OP, you have put me in a... cyberfunk? :)

Also I kind of wish it was an older version of Kou with the beard in the "present day" parts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom