Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 1&2 for the first time in ages. BGT or not?

SCS and EE gave a tremendous edge to dual-class over multi. People forget that at time of release, dual classing from a kit mean not importing your character, which would mean lower stat. Also the xp was preventing you from getting level 9 spell in SoA, and multi were a way better fighter.

I'm forgetting BG1 dual classing mechanics and don't have it installed to check, but IIRC:

- If you dual classed in BG1 to mage, you could choose a mage specialization (which was pretty cool and handy). I can't recall if this was preserved upon import into BG2.
- If you imported a BG1 character to BG2, you could choose a kit and then dual class under BG2 rules.

Regardless, even if you couldn't import from BG1 it's not that terribly important because the only really important fighter attribute to increase in BG1 was strength, yet BG2 gives tons of items that will set your strength to 20-25.

Not sure what you mean about XP preventing level 9 spells, that was a problem multis faced in pre-ToB BG2. And not sure what you mean by multi being a better fighter, duals are generally better thanks to weapon grandmastery, especially if we're talking SoA. It's only late ToB where dual class THAC0 starts to fall significantly behind but by that point you have tons of buffs and equipment to offset that.

Sarathiour

Cipher
No one could cast level 9 spell in original SoA, because the cape was under 3 million.

Weapon grandmastery has been changed in EE, it used to not give an extra apr.

You seems to have the EE in mind, because mage were loosing their specialization by being imported as a dual back then. Pretty sure you could not gain a kit either.

Yeah I don't think I ever played SoA w/o ToB. I thought the XP cap was exactly 3M there, not just under.

Everyone and their mother "fixed" Bioware's nerf of weapon specialization though because fuck that. I'm not sure why they nerfed it from BG1 and PnP.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Because giving grandmastery to dualclass is incredibly dumb, not sane GM would have allowed it at his table, so my pet theory is that they somewhat restricted it to not make anomen more ridiculously op than he already is.

Vatnik Wumao
"Modding is bad" is such a cucked take. It's my game, I'll do what I want with it. Do you allow others to dictate how you can enjoy things in other areas of your life as well?
Not to mention that some games are objectively better when modded (e.g. KotOR 2 and VtMB).

Codex Year of the Donut
VkRnJO5.jpg
skyui inventory is basically everything I want in an inventory
all those little icons that show information at a glance, the way you can sort any column, all the different columns you can pick from and are automatically added depending on what filter you've selected hnnnngggg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom