Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal - Yaga-shura fight, broken?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been replaying BG2 but never played the Bhaal expansion so pretty exciting stuff. A bit too much combat in the expansion though, but one thing. The Yaga-shura fight. I have weakened him so that is not the problem. Just wondering what the hell is up with the spawning on this map? When I approach him several giants and normal infantry spawns right in the middle of my party. It just seems lazy and broken, and kinda makes the game unfair. I mean everything is so damn well designed in this game, but this fight...

Is this a known issue or have I broken something here? Might add that I'm playing the enhanced edition.

And, any tips on this fight? Keep getting mangled. Even my top warriors get crushed by the giants.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
As far as I remember, this fight is indeed retarded with spawns etc. I think it's a matter of doing something beforehand (did you go up to take his heart or whatever before ?). Also, giants are piss when fought from afar. I only had paladins with Carsomyr on them in CC.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I did the heart thingy. I managed to kill him. I put haste on and summoned a couple of minions and just ran down to his place and focused on him. Two died in my party but the deed was done. Damn, what a sloppy encounter this was! So much combat in this expansion, and every encounter seems hard. Like the second challenge now, jeebus.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
ToB is a boring grind with badly designed encounters. Such a fucking letdown after BG2. I've never touched it again. If I want a good IE combat-fest I always fire up IW.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
ToB is a boring grind with badly designed encounters. Such a fucking letdown after BG2. I've never touched it again. If I want a good IE combat-fest I always fire up IW.

I agree. Finished it yesterday. Started pretty interesting, but then as you said... just badly designed encounter after encounter. Felt like a slog. Even went down to easy just to make it through it all, wanted to see the final for my character.

rado907

Savant
The problem with ToB is that by ToB the player is so stupidly powerful it's hard to come up with challenges. So Bioware resorted to timed fights and mob spawns and other such tricks. The fights are about as good as they can be given how broken the game's balance is by the end. As far as I know you're not supposed to hit lvl30 and walk around with +6 ->25 strength weapons in Dungeons & Dragons.

hell bovine

Arcane
The problem with ToB is that by ToB the player is so stupidly powerful it's hard to come up with challenges. So Bioware resorted to timed fights and mob spawns and other such tricks. The fights are about as good as they can be given how broken the game's balance is by the end. As far as I know you're not supposed to hit lvl30 and walk around with +6 ->25 strength weapons in Dungeons & Dragons.
Combat is so lackluster in ToB because (as Gaider hinted at in the Ascension readme) they have deliberately toned down the difficulty (with the usual excuses about new players, blah blah). If you try Ascension (which restores some of the enemies and spices up others), together with SCS (which gives them better scripts) not only are the battles really tough, but the insane difficulty becomes just that: insane.

As much as I love IWD, combat feels quite meh by comparison, since all the enemies use the default stupid scripts. I still like the story, atmosphere, art & music better, though.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
As much as I love IWD, combat feels quite meh by comparison, since all the enemies use the default stupid scripts. I still like the story, atmosphere, art & music better, though.
IWD with SCS would be glorious, even if it lacks the kind of mage battles that SCS2 is famous for (IWD for whatever reason had much lesser focus on mages as enemies).

hell bovine

Arcane
IWD with SCS would be glorious, even if it lacks the kind of mage battles that SCS2 is famous for (IWD for whatever reason had much lesser focus on mages as enemies).
I think even without that many mage battles SCS-IWD would be more difficult than SCS-BG, because it is a low magic (and arcane spells aren't nearly as broken as in BG2) dungeon crawl with limited resting. Ah well, not going to happen, the author of SCS isn't modding anymore. :-/

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I think even without that many mage battles SCS-IWD would be more difficult than SCS-BG, because it is a low magic (and arcane spells aren't nearly as broken as in BG2) dungeon crawl with limited resting. Ah well, not going to happen, the author of SCS isn't modding anymore. :-/
Eh, from what I know, he's just taking a long break due to real life commitments (moving overseas) and not giving up modding altogether. I could be wrong though :negative:

Dux

Arcane
It's all coming back to me.

I remember doing all kinds of shit in ToB - Demogorgon included - and stacking levels like mad. At one moment I was level 34 and the next I was at 41. The difference? Absolute fuck all. So my THAC0 went down a couple of notches. Who gives a shit? There's a reason Baldur's Gate started to decline along with the levels you were gaining. Playing at around level 13-20 - okay, that's doable. Not great but doable. After that and everything just collapses into one unceremonious shit pile.

I think the expansion should have focused more on the character and the history while building up to a Kangaxx-like challenge at the end. You know, a fight where you really have to think strategically to win. Hell, having one "invulnerable" fire giant would have been enough as the main opposition. A new Sarevok if you will. Just because it's the endgame doesn't mean that the entire Abyss has to be thrown at the player. A lot of game developers have made this one mistake, turning so many late game experiences into absolute chores. Unfortunately. Less is often more.

The soundtrack was pretty sweet though, I'll give it that.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Yeah, ToB is notorious for being a rush-job. Ascension and SCS help (although they do make it pretty challenging, especially if you don't cheese). As has been said, really the problem is that D&D (any edition, really) doesn't handle high levels that well. HLAs mean that levels 20-30 or so aren't too too bad, but anything 30+ is just pointless. It's nice for multiclass and that's it. Plus the encounters were lame, the villain sucked, I dunno. Just not all that great.

Theldaran

Liturgist
ToB is bad, but not worse than your average D&D epic level campaign. Low to mid level is the most fun. There's not much fun in steamrolling through everything and making cheesy spell combos.

Melcar

Arcane
Killing off entire parties of enemies with a single sorcerer/mage using carefully planned and timed spell contingencies and sequencers is always fun.

catfood

AGAIN
The only thing good about it was Watchers Keep. I think Bioware realized that too and were kind enough to let you access it through regular BG2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom