Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios; Mike Mearls; Swen Vincke

I thought Baldur's Gate 3 would be revealed during one of the E3 press conferences over the weekend, but it turns out we didn't have to wait that long. You may have heard of Stadia, a new game streaming service from Google announced back in March. Google cleverly scheduled their first Stadia Connect event two days before the rest of E3, and the first game to be announced during that event was none other than Baldur's Gate 3. The game is a sequel to Wizards of the Coast's upcoming Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus tabletop module, set over 100 years after the original series. All we know about the story right now is that it involves a rather horrifying illithid invasion, as the cinematic announcement trailer makes clear:

Larian aren't ready to reveal any concrete information about Baldur's Gate 3 yet, but that didn't stop Swen Vincke from offering interviews about it to a bunch of websites. The most important takeaway is that it's not clear that the game is an isometric RPG. It will not be using the same engine as the Divinity: Original Sin series. The ruleset will be based on 5th Edition D&D, but with "adaptations". Other than that, the interviews don't offer much beyond a general idea of the game's sensibilities. Here's a list of them:

Baldur's Gate 3 has been in development since 2017, but Larian aren't ready to reveal a release date estimate yet. Hopefully we'll learn more about the game during E3 or shortly afterwards. In the meantime, you can wishlist it on Steam or GOG, or sign up to the newsletter on the official website.

Last edited by a moderator:

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
Let's summarize what we know so far shall we?

Extremely unlikely to be 2d.
It's not using DOS engine and it is AAA game with huge budget so it's likely a tpp / over the shouder camera game with pure real time combat.
They already admiting that it is game with huuuge budget and that means catering to retarded masses who never played bg2 and love skyrim...
They already admiting that they raping 5ed rules coz "missing is not fun" .

Everything about this game so far just screams "abomination" and yet codexers are already fapping like crazy to this dogshit rape of bg series.

When beamdog was releasing their games there where MASSIVE amount of butthurt on this forum, when some Dragon age modders where porting bg2 to dragon age engine there was MASSIVE amount of butthurt on codex .
Fast forward few years and bg3 ( no 2d, no fixed camera, no rtwp ) but a 3d tpp aaa game is announced and codexers are perfectly fine with this abomination.
What a joke this site has become.

Codex Year of the Donut

It's not using DOS engine and it is AAA game with huge budget so it's likely a tpp / over the shouder camera game with pure real time combat.
They already admiting that it is game with huuuge budget and that means catering to retarded masses who never played bg2 and love skyrim...

Everything about this game so far just screams "abomination" and yet codexers are already fapping like crazy to this dogshit rape of bg series.

When beamdog was releasing their games there where MASSIVE amount of butthurt on this forum, when some Dragon age modders where porting bg2 to dragon age engine there was MASSIVE amount of butthurt on codex .
Fast forward few years and bg3 ( no 2d, no fixed camera, no rtwp ) but a 3d tpp aaa game is announced and codexers are perfectly fine with this abomination.
What a joke this site has become.
go away, todd

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
talking every line about the complexity of the old ones and how that wouldn't sell today. Then moving on how they use D&D5 rules to say inmediately that they don't really use those rules because those won't work on a game (lmao), then talking about "streamlining" to sell.

every bit of those interviews sounds like they are making a third person pseudo-arpg with pause and they are trying again to become the next bethesda same as they did with divinity II.

hope I'm wrong and are just shitty interviews.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Looks like someone essentially filmed what happened to me last Friday night

I told her I was rotten inside, but she didn't believe me. Said I had emotions like any other human being. Look what happened - tentacles, man. That's always what it comes down to when you get to the bottom of things

Cross

Arcane

It can't be an action-RPG, otherwise they wouldn't have made that statement about missing not being fun. In an action-RPG attacks can't miss to begin with, you have to manually dodge out of the way.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

It can't be an action-RPG, otherwise they wouldn't have made that statement about missing not being fun. In an action-RPG attacks can't miss to begin with, you have to manually dodge out of the way.

There are games where you can see a MISS, block or damage after shooting on real time combat.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Since it's based on a D&D 5E you can expect SJW content in super high proportions:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/09/09/im-too-old-to-start-playing-dd-again/
I’m too old to start playing D&D again…
But wow, the changes in the latest edition are stunning. This is the description for the standard “Human” player:

via Liselle Angelique Krog Awwal

Looks like Wizards of the Coast have been completely overrun by SJWs. We’re going to have to start calling them Wizards+.

2mNrSTA.jpg
So don't get your hopes up just yet.

Edit:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Swen is being so intentionally vague that it's impossible to be sure whether that's a "tell" or whether he's just speaking in generalities. It's very odd.

You can twist yourself into knots but it's best to just to wait to see some gameplay footage.

Quillon

Arcane

If it were action RPG, they'd have announced it for consoles too.

Max Heap

Arcane
Was BG3 even needed?
The story is over. Go home already!

I mean what are you getting out of this?
A game system that probably is nothing like the original?
A setting that has gone through two great cataclysmic events and won't be recognizable?
A couple characters that probably shouldn't even be in the game, but get pushed as a form of fan-service?

What for? What's the point of this? BG is just a name at that point.

You won't be getting the "old BG" out of this. No way.
Just take the old virtues and make something new (like Realms Beyond does).
Larian did this already with DOS. Which gives me a little hope, but I'm afraid BG3 will lack identity.

Codex Year of the Donut
Was BG3 even needed?

A setting that has gone through two great cataclysmic events and won't be recognizable?
A couple characters that probably shouldn't even be in the game, but get pushed as a form of fan-service?

What for? What's the point of this?

Just take the old virtues and make something new.
Larian did this already with DOS. Which gives me a little hope, but I'm afraid BG3 will lack identity.
Who cares?
Does having a new game negatively impact you in some way?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Doubters wondering whether BG3 will have the same trademark humor with stuff like Misc and Edwina should breathe a sigh of relief.

Max Heap

Arcane
Was BG3 even needed?

Who cares?

No, but I was a huge fan of BG1 and I'm still confused why I should care for this.

Codex Year of the Donut
Was BG3 even needed?

Who cares?

No, but I was a huge fan of BG1 and I'm still confused why I should care for this.
Then go replay the same game for your 105th time because you're an angry old man that hates everything new

Max Heap

Arcane
Was BG3 even needed?

Who cares?

Then go replay the same game for your 105th time because you're an angry old man that hates everything new

I never said I hate it. I'm just genuinely wondering who this is for.
In fact "something entirely new" instead of "something new but with an old name tacked on it for marketing" is exactly what I'd advocate for.

Andhaira

Arcane
talking every line about the complexity of the old ones and how that wouldn't sell today. Then moving on how they use D&D5 rules to say inmediately that they don't really use those rules because those won't work on a game (lmao), then talking about "streamlining" to sell.

every bit of those interviews sounds like they are making a third person pseudo-arpg with pause and they are trying again to become the next bethesda same as they did with divinity II.

hope I'm wrong and are just shitty interviews.

Wait, where did they say that? Are they serious? D&D 5e has the less whiffing at lower levels of all the editions due to Bounded Accuracy; it was a specific design goal.

5e is also 'streamlined' in certain ways more than 3e and 2e.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Doubters wondering whether BG3 will have the same trademark humor with stuff like Misc and Edwina should breathe a sigh of relief.

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie
@GavinEtc
Senior Writer @ Larian - Baldur’s Gate 3 - also worked on Torment: Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Diablo III, and Other Stuff.

:prosper:
how come every single european on twitter does nothing but retweet american politics shit?
I swear you eurofucks care more about our politics than we do

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom