Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - Early Access Patch 8: Bards & Gnomes

mediocrepoet

In USian: medokerpote
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Never cared for Larian Studios, or their games. Which made it a really easy pass on BG2 EE

Makes sense. Larian really fucked up the Infinity Engine EEs, let me tell you.

somerandomdude

Educated
Obsidian makes way better games than Larian Studios, after the banal trash that was Divinity Original Sin, I found Pillars of Eternity to be really good. That's the difference between shit, and not.

Problem with Divinity Original Sin was every NPC had wall, after wall, after wall of text, and it was all regurgitations, or straight up banal. It was the laziest, and most uninteresting dialogue I've ever seen in this genre, and the story was cringe too.

Pillars of Eternity had interesting dialogue, and choices to be made.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Choices as which irrelevant walls of text from extra NPCs to read next?

His other hobbies include clicking "I'm feeling lucky" on Google.com and clicking "Random article" on Wikipedia.org. When you put it in context, his love for POE writing starts to make sense.

Brickfrog

Learned
I remember when I was a kid I didn't have a PC so when I got the PS2 "baldurs gate" twin stick arpg thing I thought I was playing the Real McCoy rofl.

It wasn't until I talked to my friend who had the real game that I found out I had been dupped lol

How did those gaming conversations go?
Me: "Baldurs Gate seems like a rip-off of Diablo 2."

Travis: "???????"

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
All those ratings prove is that the original 2000 version of BG2 is way better than the so called 'enhanced' version. LMAO

We all knew that.

Strap Yourselves In
Problem with Divinity Original Sin was every NPC had wall, after wall, after wall of text, and it was all regurgitations, or straight up banal.
The problem with Pillows is that it tried very hard not to be banal to the extent of being overly pretentious and incoherent.

somerandomdude

Educated
Choices as which irrelevant walls of text from extra NPCs to read next?

I'll just use one example, I got busted by a maid when breaking into this rich guy's house, and I had several options, one of them was to knock her out, and my character walked up and backhanded the maid and KO'd her, and there was a hilarious scream associated with it. There was not one modicum of humor or entertaining dialogue choices in Divinity Original Sin, not one. So, doing better than Divinity Original Sin on dialogue/choices wasn't particularly hard.

Problem with Divinity Original Sin was every NPC had wall, after wall, after wall of text, and it was all regurgitations, or straight up banal.
The problem with Pillows is that it tried very hard not to be banal to the extent of being overly pretentious and incoherent.

At least some of the choices were entertaining. Are you suggesting Divinity Original Sin was any better?

somerandomdude

Educated
Divinity Original Sin would have been better as a diablo-like cRPG, with no quests, very minimal dialogue and you just explore dungeons grabbing loot, killing mobs, upgrading gear, buy/sell at the town/hub, etc. The dialogue was soo bad, the game would have been better with little to none of it. That's how banal it was.

somerandomdude

Educated
Are you suggesting Divinity Original Sin was any better?
No, I despise both DOS as being childish, gimmicky and mobile-crowd pandering. Didn’t play them enough to tell anything about writing or story. Glad they helped Swen get enough money to make BG3 though.

Well, in a day and age where nearly everyone seems to be going out of their way to not offend the woke crowd, I had the option of backhanding a female in Pillars of Eternity. We just don't typically get to do stuff like that in games. It's been years since I played that game, and being able to make a choice like that at least made the game memorable. I don't remember anything about the actual story, but I do remember having the option of backhanding a maid. So, maybe some of you have a point that the story wasn't all that great, or I'd have remembered more about it.

Heinrich

Educated
Well, that's a new high for the thread, we got someone who didn't get who made the BG enhanced editions and loves POE writing. Here I am thinking that anything is better than repeating our same three topics, but the Codex always manages to surprise you after all.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Ah, yes an opinion from a newfag that's not shared by the oldfags. Blasphemy, itz.

ikr

Just wondering though, what is it that turned you off BG2EE that POE did better? What could Larian do that might change your mind about trying BG2EE?

somerandomdude

Educated
Ah, yes an opinion from a newfag that's not shared by the oldfags. Blasphemy, itz.
You've got nothing to fear from me, but I fear that you might need to defend your opinion at some point. Which will, inevitably, result in some comedy. I'm looking forward to that part.

I at least played through Pillars of Eternity and found one thing memorable about a choice I made, which is more than can be said for most games. It ain't no Baldur's Gate II, but it's a cut above most of the rest of the slop we're getting. Including from Larian Studios.

somerandomdude

Educated

ikr

Just wondering though, what is it that turned you off BG2EE that POE did better? What could Larian do that might change your mind about trying BG2EE?

I already played the original BG2, years ago, and I actually played through it multiple times. Why would I need to buy Larian's remake? I got the original disk in a box in my attic (it's backed up on a drive). I can just replay the original.

Pillars of Eternity is not better than BG2, but it was good enough for me to play through it, unlike Divinity Original Sin, which I played for under 2hrs before refunding it on Steam.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Idk man. Larian's BG2:EE still holds up.

somerandomdude

Educated
Idk man. Larian's BG2:EE still holds up.

I remember when it first released, I took a look, and there were huge complaints about performance/optimization/stability issues with the game, and considering I have a copy of the original which has no such issues, why would I buy a remake that's rushed out beta slop with tons of issues at launch, which is typical of what most developers give us these days?

If these issues have all been resolved, I might consider giving it another look.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Well after Larian finishes up the sequel to Baldur's Gate 2 they may go back and fix the Enhanced Edition.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Why would I need to buy Larian's remake?

Yeah, I guess that really is the heart of the question.

It's a shame though. The design of DOS is significantly different than the enhancement of BG2EE. I think there were different writers on them or something. What feature of the EEs doesn't interest you?

Also, you're aware that they're not really remakes, right? It's more like some updates for new OS and expanded content, like DLCs of other packs. You can even try the Siege of Dragonspear expansion to bridge BGEE and BG2EE.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
You're missing something quite important here mediocrepoet. All of the lessons Larian learned from working on the Enhanced Edition of BG2 went towards Baldur's Gate 3. For example, no day and night cycle. Turns out there were a lot of bugs associated with that feature. So that's why Larian ended up cutting it from the third game.

somerandomdude

Educated
Why would I need to buy Larian's remake?

Yeah, I guess that really is the heart of the question.

It's a shame though. The design of DOS is significantly different than the enhancement of BG2EE. I think there were different writers on them or something. What feature of the EEs doesn't interest you?

Also, you're aware that they're not really remakes, right? It's more like some updates for new OS and expanded content, like DLCs of other packs. You can even try the Siege of Dragonspear expansion to bridge BGEE and BG2EE.

Unless they fixed the performance/optimization/stability issues the game had at launch, then how could they sell that off as enhanced? It's for people who never got to play the original most likely, and would rather have something more easily playable on newer hardware via steam. Based on what the poster above you said, that doesn't give me much confidence that this is truly an enhanced edition, if they "might go back and fix it". It more or less reassures my position of zero confidence in Larian Studios.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom