Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sunri

Liturgist

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
BuT BaLDr's gaTe 3 is vAPoRwaRe!!!!!!11111111111111111111
"Bu...bu OnLy ACt1 will Be PoLisheeeed!!!!!!!"
Dunno about that, but I'm 100% sure that end game will be shit.
Based on what? Your polish intellect?
Based on your previous shitty games.
You mean my GOTY, award winning, best crpg's of the last decade "shitty" games?

afbeelding.png

But don't be mad Kurwa, I'm sure we still have a toilet cleaning job here at the office you can do.

Sunri

Liturgist

afbeelding.png

But don't be mad Kurwa, I'm sure we still have a toilet cleaning job here at the office you can do.
Cattle Niggers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

afbeelding.png

further evidence that people love trash

J5hNNGC.jpg

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

afbeelding.png

J5hNNGC.jpg
Ow so you're saying BG2 is also trash?

afbeelding.png

Black

Arcane

afbeelding.png

J5hNNGC.jpg

afbeelding.png
Yes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

afbeelding.png

No, I'm saying a high metascore isn't why it's not.

Sometimes I like to indulge into the idea that our Swen is the actual Swen, trolling people under the pretense of being a fake account just to deflect the potential consequences.

I have faith that the real Swen would be a better troll, though the bar, admittedly, is low

Better not. I can already imagine a possible outcome.

We exchange niceties, we are introduced in the playtest area, we sit to play, after a while I start talking shit about the UI and controls, the Larian guy supervising guest testers minimizes and tries to defend it, I insist "No, look, I'm not joking anymore, it sucks for real", he gets a bit over-defensive, I get a bit pissed, we raise our voice, we start throwing hands and two days later I'm spending jail time in Belgium.

Last edited:
Member how people playtested DOS 2 and their feedback was that the armor system was terrible? I member. And how it went completely ignored.
Then several months after the release Swen Vincke made a post-mortem of the game at GDC admitting basically "Boy, that armor system surely sucked ass and people tried to warn us, but we didn't listen".
If nothing else I appreciated the honesty.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Member how people playtested DOS 2 and their feedback was that the armor system was terrible? I member. And how it went completely ignored.
Then several months after the release Swen Vincke made a post-mortem of the game at GDC admitting basically "Boy, that armor system surely sucked ass and people tried to warn us, but we didn't listen".
If nothing else I appreciated the honesty.
Linky?

Harthwain

Magister
Anyway, IDK why DOS2 is so popular, I mean, Divine Divinity was so great...
I can think of a few reasons:

1) A sequel to DoS1.
2) Good production values.
3) A system that incentivizes synergistic approach (the armour system does shit on that, but it does not remove it entirely) and it can even be used for role-playing.
4) Difficulty that can be set however you like (and it really can be challenging!).
5) Some interesting additions to role-playing (NPCs' backgrounds can be used for player's character, minimizing the impact of the player being a blank slate, rock-paper-scissors mechanic to stimulate how the party resolves disagreement on the course of action).
6) The ability to create your own RPG sessions thanks to the in-game Dungeon Master mode.

Incendax

Augur
I didn't mind the armor system, but I wish status effects had percentile success based on how much armor was missing.

FriendlyMerchant

At the 40 minutes mark, if the timestamp doesn't work for whatever reason.

Honestly, armor in DOS2 is the WORST that I saw in any RPG... Anyway, IDK why DOS2 is so popular, I mean, Divine Divinity was so great...
It's kinda weird though since Battle Brothers has a similar armor system. Though it works way better since it doesn't split between melee and magic damage (magic's not even really in the game) and certain weapons are good for penetrating and breaking armor. Plus you don't have to break through an armor bar to apply status effects like stun or burning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Battle Brothers has a similar armor system.

Armor should deflect blows or mitigate damage, armor as a secondary hp bar which makes you immune to lots of powers is silly. You can't make a "DC caster" thanks to this shit. Imagine that you are playing EverQuest, Icewind dale or any game as a Gnome illusionist/Enchanter, can you imagine having to spam fireballs before you attempt to charm/dominate the "goy"? Or playing as a Ventrue in VtMB with such mechanic? Ohh before I use presence or domination in the enemy I need to empty my Desert Eagle in his head, after this I can dominate him.

That mechanic is nonsensical and kills save or else spells.

5E already nerfed such spells a lot and gave legendary resistance which is a way to take out a bit of the RNG of the game. In Kingmaker, there is a guy who destroyed Spawn of Rovagug with a mere tier 4 "phantasmal killer" spell : https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1645418344567598037/

With 41 illusion DC(achievable, see the steam link above), on normal, he needs to hit 13 in a d20 to pass the fortitude save and 15 the will save meaning about 42% chances of instantly dying to a gnome illusionist. If you have a party tanking while you spam spells, using all tier 9 spell slots, that is about 97% chances of killing him before running out of spells.

------------------

Did Larian changed his stance in "missing is not fun"? In fact one thing which I really miss in older RPGs is not only the missing in melee, is the missing in spellcasting too. Recently I was playing EverQuest and here is my Wizard misses when attempting to cast an abjuration spell with low abjuration :

2W6ecbp.png

I don't get why so many modern games are getting away with RNGoddess

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom