Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
>download 50gb patch
>don't play it
>download 50gb patch
>don't play it
>download 50gb patch
>don't play it
Its all so tiresome.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's exactly what BG2 had though. Contingency & Chain Contingency.
BG2 had a lot of questionable stuff as well. I'm not under the delusion that it was perfect.
It was also based on a different ruleset.

AND more importantly than anything else, it wasn't a turn-based tactical, which makes the direct comparison moot.
I like the idea of having to make the decision well beforehand for something as powerful as casting a high level spell.
I also like the idea of reactions.
They should do both.

zapotec

Liturgist
It's not really a "dynamic AI" type of thing. They tend to assume a fixed position near your character that for all intents and purposes is a good old formation (and then move around a lot as soon as you click or target something, because LARIAN)

Here's a screenshot:

3F11E8194C50F401C32EF99EBAC9CD3F317669EB
Not enough reflective surfaces and the portraits are so expressive that it's distracting.

LARIAN/10.
That looks like a japanese boy band

Harthwain

Magister
I find Sven and Larian hilarious with there jokes and parody, I am surprised more people dont find them funny ?
Some people like silly or in-your-face jokes. Some don't. I am in the latter category. Similarly I wasn't fond of The Dungeon of Nahuibek approach to humour. It probably works better as an audio show or a cartoon. At least in my case.

Novice
I find Sven and Larian hilarious with there jokes and parody, I am surprised more people dont find them funny ?
Some people like silly or in-your-face jokes. Some don't. I am in the latter category. Similarly I wasn't fond of The Dungeon of Nahuibek approach to humour. It probably works better as an audio show or a cartoon. At least in my case.
Harthwain over here prefers sophisticated, subtle humour, such as Friends, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory. All those Monty Python jokes are just too silly.

FriendlyMerchant

It's not really a "dynamic AI" type of thing. They tend to assume a fixed position near your character that for all intents and purposes is a good old formation (and then move around a lot as soon as you click or target something, because LARIAN)

Here's a screenshot:

3F11E8194C50F401C32EF99EBAC9CD3F317669EB
Not enough reflective surfaces and the portraits are so expressive that it's distracting.

LARIAN/10.
It looks like they're all bored from being characters in this game.

Harthwain

Magister
Harthwain over here prefers sophisticated, subtle humour, such as Friends, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory. All those Monty Python jokes are just too silly.
I didn't watch anything you mentioned outside of Monty Python so I can't comment too much on it.

I'd say it's largely about the delivery. For example: while I found the humour in The Dungeon of Nahuibek (the video game) to be almost a complete miss, I did find the video version to be a lot more enjoyable in terms of its humour. Same goes for what little I could find on the audio show. The jokes in Discworld's books weren't "hitting" me, but the ones in comic books and video games did. It is strange, because it's essentially about the same "universe" and the "style" was more or less the same, but I guess the medium made a huge difference in response in my case.

Other than that, yes, I do prefer humour that's subtle over direct. The college student-level jokes are not doing it for me. That said, I do respect Swen and Larian for their ability to make jokes. I may not enjoy them and wish they weren't there (or in such quantity), but I have to respect it. In this industry it's rather difficult to make unfunny jokes - most developers would rather be dead-serious than take any risks. But find that attitude (of avoiding risks) to be despicable, because it's easy to fall into the trap of always making the "safe" choices and "safe" is an enemy of innovation. It's not something you want to see from a developer.

BruceVC

Magister
Monty Python created humor.....everything else after British Comedy is just catching up :obviously:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Monty Python created humor.....everything else after British Comedy is just catching up :obviously:
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Since there was one guy on the official forum attempting to argue that "only the usual vocal minority" was advocating for proper reactions and most of the user base is happy with an automated system, this guy attempted to "take the pulse" at the forum with a poll:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=825670#Post825670

Seems like a curb-stomping to me.
EDIT: Since I just realized the result doesn't show until you are logged on the forum, for the record the current split is roughly 90% vs 10% IN FAVOR of getting proper reaction prompts.

Also, for the record the newly hired Senior Community Manager spoke about reactions a couple of days ago:

Hey everyone,

While we're actively working on Baldur's Gate 3, there's still more coming to Early Access, in no small part driven by community feedback such as this.

While in Early Access, design is in flux as we work to build & implement new systems & features.
How reactions are handled in the game is an example of a that is system currently being explored internally, but we're not yet ready to talk about it.
We've been eagerly reading your feedback and discussing it with the teams, but we prefer to show rather than tell.

Feel free to comment in the forums or on our social Media, to your heart's content!
We aim to interact with you as much as we possibly can.
So again: Thank you for being a part of our community!
cool

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=825365#Post825365

On one hand, he's been as vague and inconclusive as a sloppy pity fuck, on the other hand, first time someone from Larian said anything about any topic on the official forum in two years.
Sure "exploring ideas" doesn't sound like a very firm commitment to shit out a working system, but hey, baby steps.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Swen Vincke, creator of the three best-selling turn-based cRPGs of all time, does not want unsolicited feedback from the plebeians.
I just wanted to let you know, you're the biggest faggot on this forum.
My superiority seems to have caused some anger.
You are superior at sucking cock and having shit opinions, that much is true.
Do you spend a lot of time thinking about men sucking cock?

BanEvader

Swen Vincke, creator of the three best-selling turn-based cRPGs of all time, does not want unsolicited feedback from the plebeians.
I just wanted to let you know, you're the biggest faggot on this forum.
My superiority seems to have caused some anger.
You are superior at sucking cock and having shit opinions, that much is true.
Do you spend a lot of time thinking about men sucking cock?
Only when I see your posts. They're flamboyantly homosexual, like all things American.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Since there was one guy on the official forum attempting to argue that "only the usual vocal minority" was advocating for proper reactions and most of the user base is happy with an automated system, this guy attempted to "take the pulse" at the forum with a poll:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=825670#Post825670

Seems like a curb-stomping to me.

Also, for the record the newly hired Senior Community Manager spoke about reactions a couple of days ago:

Hey everyone,

While we're actively working on Baldur's Gate 3, there's still more coming to Early Access, in no small part driven by community feedback such as this.

While in Early Access, design is in flux as we work to build & implement new systems & features.
How reactions are handled in the game is an example of a that is system currently being explored internally, but we're not yet ready to talk about it.
We've been eagerly reading your feedback and discussing it with the teams, but we prefer to show rather than tell.

Feel free to comment in the forums or on our social Media, to your heart's content!
We aim to interact with you as much as we possibly can.
So again: Thank you for being a part of our community!
cool

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=825365#Post825365

On one hand, he's been as vague and inconclusive as a sloppy pity fuck, on the other hand, first time someone from Larian said anything about any topic on the official forum in two years.
Sure "exploring ideas" doesn't sound like a very firm commitment to shit out a working system, but hey, baby steps.

Oh hey, they addressed the fact that there's a deep unsatisfaction with reactions. That's good. I was hoping for something a little more concrete, but it's good enough.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I should be thankful they are "exploring ideas" but honestly I'm just baffled they still haven't made a decision this late into development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom