Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, mobs standing around motionless while you run up and hit them is immersion breaking. At least Gold Box let you disrupt a caster with damage, in the Pathfinder games you can only do it with RTwP.
To clarify, I have got nothing against RTwP or TB. I just find it unusual that your post implies that turn based is the sole immersion breaker in an isometric game where you do not even look through your character's perspective and where you command the actions of multiple characters in battle.
And also because I think immersion is a screwy buzzword and that being engrossed in a game is more important than being immersed in it.
Damn I suppose I really compressed the shit out of this into a single "Lmao"

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
there's no reason turn-based has to be visualized as people just standing around waiting to get hit, a game could just as easily pause all motion when the player is deciding and have the action flow between the turns
devs just don't care enough to do it

it would end up looking not too dissimilar from RTwP for the spectator. I still think there's a decent middleground to be had there, but nobody cares enough to look for it.

Perkel

Arcane
I trust Sven and his team to try and tell and give us a good story. That is what Larian always has done.
tom-cruise-laugh.jpg

there's no reason turn-based has to be visualized as people just standing around waiting to get hit, a game could just as easily pause all motion when the player is deciding and have the action flow between the turns

it would end up looking not too dissimilar from RTwP for the spectator. I still think there's a decent middleground to be had there, but nobody cares enough to look for it.
They actually created this concept where you make your orders with all motion paused, then the action flows after the player has finished telling all his units what to do.

It's called... oh yeah, real time with pause.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For the RtWP fanboys here; Lets suppose that BG3 could :

A ) Get a better ruleset(2E), fix the ridiculousness like barrelmancy to kill an fire dragon, Astarion, lv 1 wizards with an history as epic as Elminster, spiders with twice the hp poll that adamantite golems had in previous game, the worst underdark ever implemented in the game(...) but maintain Turn Based

B ) Maintain every problem of BG3 but become RtWP

Which one would you chose?

I know that both are EXTREMELY unlikely and not gonna happen. I'm just wondering how much does the RtWP crowd hate TB.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, mobs standing around motionless while you run up and hit them is immersion breaking. At least Gold Box let you disrupt a caster with damage, in the Pathfinder games you can only do it with RTwP.
To clarify, I have got nothing against RTwP or TB. I just find it unusual that your post implies that turn based is the sole immersion breaker in an isometric game where you do not even look through your character's perspective and where you command the actions of multiple characters in battle.
And also because I think immersion is a screwy buzzword and that being engrossed in a game is more important than being immersed in it.
Yeah totally agree, just easier to be engrossed when you’re in a coherent world and at the time it was understood (we loved Gold Box and BG but thought of the latter as an obvious improvement on the former as Gold Box was over, say, Atari Adventure) that getting a free Time Stop for each character wasn’t the best that could be done on that front.

Desiderius

Patron

How is this different to RTwP?

I was once an anti-RTwP jihadi too (hated Age of Empires). Then I learned how to manage the Pause and Game Speed. And I played a ridiculous amount of Diablo II and Guild Wars too. Grew up on bullethell coin-ops for fuck sake.

There’s room for games on different places in the spectrum.

Desiderius

Patron

A ) Get a better ruleset(2E), fix the ridiculousness like barrelmancy to kill an fire dragon, Astarion, lv 1 wizards with an history as epic as Elminster, spiders with twice the hp poll that adamantite golems had in previous game, the worst underdark ever implemented in the game(...) but maintain Turn Based

Which one would you chose?

I know that both are EXTREMELY unlikely and not gonna happen. I'm just wondering how much does the RtWP crowd hate TB.
That’s what you bathetic fucks can’t get through your thick heads. We don’t.

We’re just not so hot on your dipshit jihad to eliminate RTwP from games altogether based on what sure looks an awful lot like you guys never even learning how to play it.

What'd you say? Why'd they prefer the copium?
Nothing special.

It's not even about what I said in general (which is mostly being critical about things I didn't like, anyway, so that doesn't help) but being "very rude" toward other players:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=827776#Post827776

Nothing like "Codex-tier rude", to be clear.
We are talking about a teddy bear-type of community where "rude" is even just calling out someone on their bullshit.

Desiderius

Patron
Nothing special.

It's not even about what I said in general (which is mostly being critical about things I didn't like, anyway, so that doesn't help) but being "very rude" toward other players:

We are talking about a teddy bear-type of community where "rude" is even just calling out someone on their bullshit.
It’s just a different epistemology. When you don’t believe in objective truth a lot if things go haywire but the biggest thing is that any criticism or disagreement is a personal attack because the subjective is all there is.

Any claim to know anything is tantamount to being a know-it-all since there is no objective reality to be known in the first place.

It (the world) is a single player game!

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

Even if RtwP would be worse I choose RtwP. Still they could make it better and erase the reasons why people hate it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nothing special.

I went down a rabbit hole of browsing the Larian forums and taking an actual look at what people outside the Codex are saying about BG3, something I haven't done before. My main take away from the experience was that BG3 has a lot of bad design choices and/or bugs that need to be fixed ASAP according to the Larian fans. Except most of the issues are actually just D&D rules (what little amount of them that exist within BG3). Pretty depressing stuff. I don't know if Larian actually has open contempt for D&D or if they genuinely like the system but think that it can't be adapted into a cRPG without heavy modifications (or if they actually do want to do a faithful adaption but it takes time to morph the engine from the DivOS rules to the D&D rules). In the case where they do like D&D I wonder if they are regretting their choice of using the license and having to deal with their DivOS fans who clearly don't understand what D&D is and seem to be repellent to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom