Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I read the official updates from Larian and Sven which is always humorous, honest and relevant

Larian is none of those things. They are an embarrassment.
8db.png

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I have mentioned this before but BG2: ToB is my favorite RPG of all time and that is against steep competition like W3, Elder Scrolls, ELEX and Gothic games, BT4, D:OS2 and other D&D themed games

I've got so many questions about this post....

:what:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
yeah, it's mandatory to get at least few level ups and pile of magic items in tutorial now.

In NwN2, literally the first enemy which I killed in the village gave me a +1 club. I'm not joking.

Nobody takes seriously game journalists.

The same game in the games when game journalists could have be taken seriously

QsaA2kL.png

Modern XP systems... he more likely than not won first place in said festival. Credit where it's due. The last guy who did that got a whackload of levels and a prestige class out of it.

Video games tends to have ridiculous high growth rate for PCs. In NWN2, in few months you go from lv 0 commoner in a very poor village to a lv 20 duke of Crossroad keep/hero of neverwinter, destroyer of the King of Shadows and his army of darkness.

Is not only modern games. I was playing Ravenloft : Strahd possession and my mage started at lv 5 at age of sixteen. Since I din't rest spammed, I reached lv 7, almost 8 in less than a week in game time which is a ridiculous high growth rate. Few more months and I would have the first teen Archwizard in the realms(very few people can become archwizard and takes multiple decades to do so)

In non D&D video games, the same thing happens. In VtM, take decades if not centuries to master Thaumaturgy yet your fledgling can master it in few days before even being part of the Tremere pyramid.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
yeah, it's mandatory to get at least few level ups and pile of magic items in tutorial now.

In NwN2, literally the first enemy which I killed in the village gave me a +1 club. I'm not joking.

Nobody takes seriously game journalists.

QsaA2kL.png
Look at the dates friend, gaming journalists gave an update, 13 years later the game got exposed finally. It's time for you to put off your nostalgia goggles, gaming journalists did too.

Anonona

Learned

Game journalist has always been shit, just weren't in full propaganda mode. They shill the fuck out of whatever was the "hype" shit of the moment, gave too generous scores and read more like advertising that true reviews. They were the ones that inflated scores so much that nowadays a 7 is mediocre and 8 is just ok. Game journalist also supported retarded trends like the hate for TB games, brown as realistic graphics and shilling triple AAA games since forever.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Look at the dates friend, gaming journalists gave an update, 13 years later the game got exposed finally. It's time for you to put off your nostalgia goggles, gaming journalists did too.

Is not "nostalgia goggles", I only played most of the AD&D 2e CRPG adaptations as an adult. Is the fact that this games has good and immersive game mechanics and don't threat me as an retard. For game journos, kingmaker sucks cuz "i cant kill a insect swarm with an sword" and complete shit like Diablo 3 is a good game despite it being pure trash, full of cooldowns, stat stickie itemization and nonsensical BS like the amount of blood which a necromancer can drain from a skeleton by casting siphon blood being 100% dictated by the size and sharpness of his axe. I can enjoy lots of modern shooters, arcade like BF1 or realistic like A3, can enjoy modern racing games like Forza(...) but I just can't enjoy modern RPG's.

If wasn't by old school RPG's, I would't waste my time with this genre.

Game journalist also supported retarded trends like the hate for TB games, brown as realistic graphics and shilling triple AAA games since forever.

Agreed. And this is why being praised by them is not something to be proud of. Gothic 3 and ArcaniA has the same "metascore" while ArcaniA is pure shit. G3 is just not as great as G1.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I didn't play bgII until like 2017 and it whipped ass. It's not a nostalgia thing. The game is good.

Was the normal game or ""enhanced"" edition?

I only played the Dreamforge and SSI games in 2020 and loved all which I"ve played so much... People who know me from my first years of Codex know that I was a huge 3.5e fan and fan of sorcerer class.

2zkCjwe.png

YKCk4I1.png

PIwTydo.png

xhAPt6q.png

Look the variations. Two Dark Sun games, Two Ravenloft games, one set in Barovia and other in Har'Aki desert, a adventure which starts in icewind dale and ends in underdark, now we only have boring "sword coast" based games as if no other place exists in D&D. Took a time to get used to some clunky controls but they are miles above any modern game.

-------------------------------

Is not fair to compare BG3 to BG2 cuz BG2 is way better. But what about BG3 VS "Siege of Dragonspear"??? I would say that both are bad in writing, encounter design and story but SoD wins cuz uses the best ruleset.

Brickfrog

Learned
I remember when I was a kid I didn't have a PC so when I got the PS2 "baldurs gate" twin stick arpg thing I thought I was playing the Real McCoy rofl.

It wasn't until I talked to my friend who had the real game that I found out I had been dupped lol

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember when I was a kid I didn't have a PC so when I got the PS2 "baldurs gate" twin stick arpg thing I thought I was playing the Real McCoy rofl.

It wasn't until I talked to my friend who had the real game that I found out I had been dupped lol

How did those gaming conversations go?

somerandomdude

Learned
Never cared for Larian Studios, or their games. Which made it a really easy pass on BG2 EE, and this game as well.

They lost me with Divinity Original Sin, the game was gutter tier.

somerandomdude

Learned
Obsidian makes way better games than Larian Studios, after the banal trash that was Divinity Original Sin, I found Pillars of Eternity to be really good. That's the difference between shit, and not.

Problem with Divinity Original Sin was every NPC had wall, after wall, after wall of text, and it was all regurgitations, or straight up banal. It was the laziest, and most uninteresting dialogue I've ever seen in this genre, and the story was cringe too.

Pillars of Eternity had interesting dialogue, and choices to be made.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Choices as which irrelevant walls of text from extra NPCs to read next?

His other hobbies include clicking "I'm feeling lucky" on Google.com and clicking "Random article" on Wikipedia.org. When you put it in context, his love for POE writing starts to make sense.

Brickfrog

Learned

How did those gaming conversations go?
Me: "Baldurs Gate seems like a rip-off of Diablo 2."

Travis: "???????"

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
All those ratings prove is that the original 2000 version of BG2 is way better than the so called 'enhanced' version. LMAO

We all knew that.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Problem with Divinity Original Sin was every NPC had wall, after wall, after wall of text, and it was all regurgitations, or straight up banal.
The problem with Pillows is that it tried very hard not to be banal to the extent of being overly pretentious and incoherent.

somerandomdude

Learned
Choices as which irrelevant walls of text from extra NPCs to read next?

I'll just use one example, I got busted by a maid when breaking into this rich guy's house, and I had several options, one of them was to knock her out, and my character walked up and backhanded the maid and KO'd her, and there was a hilarious scream associated with it. There was not one modicum of humor or entertaining dialogue choices in Divinity Original Sin, not one. So, doing better than Divinity Original Sin on dialogue/choices wasn't particularly hard.

Problem with Divinity Original Sin was every NPC had wall, after wall, after wall of text, and it was all regurgitations, or straight up banal.
The problem with Pillows is that it tried very hard not to be banal to the extent of being overly pretentious and incoherent.

At least some of the choices were entertaining. Are you suggesting Divinity Original Sin was any better?

somerandomdude

Learned
Divinity Original Sin would have been better as a diablo-like cRPG, with no quests, very minimal dialogue and you just explore dungeons grabbing loot, killing mobs, upgrading gear, buy/sell at the town/hub, etc. The dialogue was soo bad, the game would have been better with little to none of it. That's how banal it was.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Are you suggesting Divinity Original Sin was any better?
No, I despise both DOS as being childish, gimmicky and mobile-crowd pandering. Didn’t play them enough to tell anything about writing or story. Glad they helped Swen get enough money to make BG3 though.

somerandomdude

Learned
Are you suggesting Divinity Original Sin was any better?
No, I despise both DOS as being childish, gimmicky and mobile-crowd pandering. Didn’t play them enough to tell anything about writing or story. Glad they helped Swen get enough money to make BG3 though.

Well, in a day and age where nearly everyone seems to be going out of their way to not offend the woke crowd, I had the option of backhanding a female in Pillars of Eternity. We just don't typically get to do stuff like that in games. It's been years since I played that game, and being able to make a choice like that at least made the game memorable. I don't remember anything about the actual story, but I do remember having the option of backhanding a maid. So, maybe some of you have a point that the story wasn't all that great, or I'd have remembered more about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom