Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Heinrich

Scholar
Well, that's a new high for the thread, we got someone who didn't get who made the BG enhanced editions and loves POE writing. Here I am thinking that anything is better than repeating our same three topics, but the Codex always manages to surprise you after all.

somerandomdude

Learned
Ah, yes an opinion from a newfag that's not shared by the oldfags. Blasphemy, itz.
You've got nothing to fear from me, but I fear that you might need to defend your opinion at some point. Which will, inevitably, result in some comedy. I'm looking forward to that part.

I at least played through Pillars of Eternity and found one thing memorable about a choice I made, which is more than can be said for most games. It ain't no Baldur's Gate II, but it's a cut above most of the rest of the slop we're getting. Including from Larian Studios.

somerandomdude

Learned
Ah, yes an opinion from a newfag that's not shared by the oldfags. Blasphemy, itz.

ikr

Just wondering though, what is it that turned you off BG2EE that POE did better? What could Larian do that might change your mind about trying BG2EE?

I already played the original BG2, years ago, and I actually played through it multiple times. Why would I need to buy Larian's remake? I got the original disk in a box in my attic (it's backed up on a drive). I can just replay the original.

Pillars of Eternity is not better than BG2, but it was good enough for me to play through it, unlike Divinity Original Sin, which I played for under 2hrs before refunding it on Steam.

somerandomdude

Learned
Idk man. Larian's BG2:EE still holds up.

I remember when it first released, I took a look, and there were huge complaints about performance/optimization/stability issues with the game, and considering I have a copy of the original which has no such issues, why would I buy a remake that's rushed out beta slop with tons of issues at launch, which is typical of what most developers give us these days?

If these issues have all been resolved, I might consider giving it another look.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why would I need to buy Larian's remake?

Yeah, I guess that really is the heart of the question.

It's a shame though. The design of DOS is significantly different than the enhancement of BG2EE. I think there were different writers on them or something. What feature of the EEs doesn't interest you?

Also, you're aware that they're not really remakes, right? It's more like some updates for new OS and expanded content, like DLCs of other packs. You can even try the Siege of Dragonspear expansion to bridge BGEE and BG2EE.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
You're missing something quite important here mediocrepoet. All of the lessons Larian learned from working on the Enhanced Edition of BG2 went towards Baldur's Gate 3. For example, no day and night cycle. Turns out there were a lot of bugs associated with that feature. So that's why Larian ended up cutting it from the third game.

somerandomdude

Learned
Why would I need to buy Larian's remake?

Yeah, I guess that really is the heart of the question.

It's a shame though. The design of DOS is significantly different than the enhancement of BG2EE. I think there were different writers on them or something. What feature of the EEs doesn't interest you?

Also, you're aware that they're not really remakes, right? It's more like some updates for new OS and expanded content, like DLCs of other packs. You can even try the Siege of Dragonspear expansion to bridge BGEE and BG2EE.

Unless they fixed the performance/optimization/stability issues the game had at launch, then how could they sell that off as enhanced? It's for people who never got to play the original most likely, and would rather have something more easily playable on newer hardware via steam. Based on what the poster above you said, that doesn't give me much confidence that this is truly an enhanced edition, if they "might go back and fix it". It more or less reassures my position of zero confidence in Larian Studios.

somerandomdude

Learned
I at least played through Pillars of Eternity and found one thing memorable about a choice I made
And that thing being slapping a woman? Josh must be proud.

It was with an open hand, and I believe there was another option to simply kill her. It was something of a chaotic-neutral choice, the evil choice would have been to kill her. Don't want her alerting the guards when I'm in there to burglarize, not fight, she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so little tam tam had to go nighty night.

Harthwain

Magister
I at least played through Pillars of Eternity and found one thing memorable about a choice I made
And that thing being slapping a woman? Josh must be proud.
Sounds like a fake account to me. I mean, praising Pillars of Eternity(!) simply because there was an option to "backhand a woman" and nothing else? From an account made last Thursday and named "somerandomdude"? Yeah, I smell a fish here.

somerandomdude

Learned
Sounds like a fake account to me. I mean, praising Pillars of Eternity(!) simply because there was an option to "backhand a woman" and nothing else? From an account made last Thursday and named "somerandomdude"? Yeah, I smell a fish here.

Newfag has opinions you don't like = fake account. *yawns*

Pardon me for not being a white knight. I admittedly find it extremely banal to be expected to be some sorta bastion of humanity in these types of games, so when I get unexpected choices, such as the option of slapping a woman! That actually makes things more interesting.

Pillars was still a cut above most of the newer cRPGs we're getting, the graphics/art style was decent, the combat was what you'd expect out of a game like this, and you had the freedom to be a total douche if you wanted to with "choices", which some people like having.

Divinity Original Sin's only redeeming quality was maybe the combat (not really cRPG), but it would have been better as some sorta team-based Diablo-clone dungeon spelunking game than a cRPG.

For the record, I decided to register here after someone posted a link to this forums on Grimoire's steam section. I was like, that looks like a cool place where people can actually share an opinion without getting totally censored. But, that doesn't mean that sharing an opinion won't irritate some people, which I somehow manage to do without even really trying, so maybe I'm just a natural at this?

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Bullshit. There are a plenty of opinons I disagree with, yet I find them to be reasonable or at least understandable, even when posters are relatively new to the site. However, when someone is making such wild claims out of the blue, like you do, and it is an account that's not even a week old, then it is going to look suspicious. So suspicious, in fact, that I don't even think you're retarded, because I find it much more likely to be a calculated effort. Then again, maybe I am giving you too much credit here.

Pardon me for not being a white knight.
I did slap a woman in real life. She was literally asking for it by touching my ass with her fat hands after I told her, three times, that I do not appreciate being touched against my will. I guess she thought my politeness made me an easy target for her to abuse, but enough was enough.

Also, nobody is asking you to be a white knight, but focusing on that single particular detail means you either have some woman-related issues or are a fake who's trying to be controversial.

Vatnik Wumao
I did slap a woman in real life. She was literally asking for it by touching my ass with her fat hands after I told her, three times, that I do not appreciate being touched against my will. I guess she thought my politeness made me an easy target for her to abuse, but enough was enough.
:updatedmytxt:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
That came out of nowhere, what the fuck...

somerandomdude

Learned
Bullshit. There are a plenty of opinons I disagree with, yet I find them to be reasonable or at least understandable, even when posters are relatively new to the site. However, when someone is making such wild claims out of the blue, like you do, and it is an account that's not even a week old, then it is going to look suspicious. So suspicious, in fact, that I don't even think you're retarded, because I find it much more likely to be a calculated effort. Then again, maybe I am giving you too much credit here.

Since you want to express such seething butt rage over a simple comment about me enjoying an aspect of a game you don't agree with, then just put me on ignore so my comments don't ruffle your feathers up, or report me if you think something I said is against the rules.

I think you're gay, because you slapped a woman who was looking to give you some, and you're suggesting I'm the one with women issues? LMAO.

Also, nobody is asking you to be a white knight, but focusing on that single particular detail means you either have some woman-related issues or are a fake who's trying to be controversial.

I'm not the one focusing on that specific detail, you are. I elaborated my opinion on the game more broadly, but you ignore that and keep going back to that one thing that apparently triggered you. And let's ignore the fact that I simply like having unexpected choices like this in games, and found the game to be good in some other areas as well, maybe not stellar, but good enough for 1 playthrough.

And yes I have opinions which are controversial, such as I'm in agreement with Sean Connery's original opinion when it comes to slapping women. Someone we can all agree had no issues getting women. If you don't like it, I don't care.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So what was next? Did she get angry, did she proceed touching you?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So what was next? Did she get angry, did she proceed touching you?

He showed her his other honour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom