Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Yeah that's great and all but lets not forget that Monk is still an awesome class. I mean. You have to be manly as fuck to fight the forces of evil naked with no magical equipment, no abilities, and only your fists. Such heroism puts both Barbarians and Mages to shame. Look at those wimpy barbarians having to use "magical" weapons.

*laughs in monk*
I like monks that brew beer.
m-nch.jpg

Those Asian monks that jump around and do circus tricks look silly.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
troll account?

No, why would I create another account? Also, I din't liked Pillars.

If you wanna laugh, check Larian cultists reviews : https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/larian-cultists-reviewing-pf-km.143219/

some of the most active posters in this thread didn't play the game and have no intention of playing the game.

LOL. Probably BG3 is the least talked game in this thread.

You have to be manly as fuck to fight the forces of evil naked with no magical equipment, no abilities, and only your fists. Such heroism puts both Barbarians and Mages to shame. Look at those wimpy barbarians having to use "magical" weapons.

I get the appeal of monks.
Fighters needs their weapons and armor
Mages needs their books and scrolls
Clerics needs their deity
(...)
Monks needs their fists and can OHK, wall climb, move extremely fast without fancy incantations or magical items.

somerandomdude

Learned
"Seething butt rage"? What could I possibly rage about? All I did was question your legitimacy by agreeing with another poster that something is fishy about you. As for the Pillars of Eternity itself - I found it to be too boring to hate it.

Fake accounts would be stuff like holocaust survival stories of blood gushing out of the earth in massive geysers, or surviving 9 alleged death camps.

Are you into ugly fat bitches? Or just an incel who imagines that any kind of attention from anything that can be nominally called a woman must be a dream come true? I do not know like you, but I had enough attention from girls (including nice and cute ones) to be able to develop more discerning taste and have standards for my partners.

You must be some kind of emasculated little faggot looking boy if an ugly fat girl tried to molest you.

It's not that your opinion is controversial. It's that you decided to start your presence on the Codex with something like that. This is somewhere between "Not sure if serious" and "WTF". And the main reason why it feels like you're some kind of spy placed on the Codex by the wookies. "Hello, fellow Codexers, I am a human, just like you! Let's slap some women together!". Yes, this is perfectly normal!

Sorry, but that's autistic as fuck. This is a pretty niche forums, I never even heard about it until a couple of weeks ago. You and the others who think that are fucking paranoid beyond belief.

It's not that I don't like it. I don't even care about it. I just find this beginning of your Codex career to be too suspicious to be genuine is all.

Then why the fuck do you keep quoting me just to go off on paranoid aspie rants? You can't help it? Does your autism truly define who you are?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
no abilities
Lmao looking at all those no abilities of ki fist, stunning fist, and also
Monks are united in their ability to magically harness the energy that flows in their bodies.

No abilities he says. I thought monks don't lie.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
no abilities
Monks are united in their ability to magically harness the energy that flows in their bodies.

Unironically, the thing that hurts the most as a Monk is that after 19 levels of roleplaying as a person that gets to know their body well... they become "an Outsider". It's 19 levels of amazing roleplay, only to be told at the end, that the best way of mechanically representing your achievement is to strip away your humanity.

Truly, perfection can never be achieved.

I like to think that Monks don't lie. It's just D&D incapable of representing how awesome monks truly are. :P

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
no abilities

Unironically, the thing that hurts the most as a Monk is that after 19 levels of roleplaying as a person that gets to know their body well... they become "an Outsider". It's 19 levels of amazing roleplay, only to be told at the end, that the best way of mechanically representing your achievement is to strip away your humanity.

Truly, perfection can never be achieved.

I like to think that Monks don't lie. It's just D&D incapable of representing how awesome monks truly are. :P

It represents transcendence of the mortal, in keeping with Eastern traditions and perspectives.

Aphex81

Scholar
Larian wasn't woke enough so wotk stepped in. Everything must be woke. If you make a game and it becomes successfull, some woke corporation will offer you a contract and make your games woke.

FriendlyMerchant

I get the appeal of monks.
Fighters needs their weapons and armor
Mages needs their books and scrolls
Clerics needs their deity
(...)
Monks needs their fists and can OHK, wall climb, move extremely fast without fancy incantations or magical items.

The only thing missing is a race designed for the use of monks.
rHUbGY4.jpg

Anonona

Learned
Also don’t forget Victor’s husbandu the magnificent fagmancer Astarion

I think the companions are just player-sexual like DoS 2, meaning you can romance them regardless of the gender you have chosen. As far as I'm aware, nowhere is stated as canon that Astarion is gay. You can romance him with a female MC no problem.

New small Gamespot video about BG3's core design:

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-box-that-broke-baldurs-gate-3/2300-6458407/

The Box That Broke Baldur's Gate 3
Baldur's Gate 3, like Dungeons & Dragons, is a game meant to evoke player freedom. But somewhere early in its making, a small decision was made that collided with that basic principle, and sent its development into a cascading spiral of problems.

At the heart of an unforgettable Dungeons & Dragons campaign is a great dungeon master. It's their responsibility to guide the player on an adventure and make sure the world reacts to their actions in a way that feels natural and unplanned.

For developer Larian Studios, to capture that D&D essence in Baldur's Gate 3, it has to evoke that same sense of freedom and role playing. It's collaborative storytelling between the player and the story. Every choice, action, reaction, and consequence has to feel like it really matters, no matter how big or small.

But somewhere early in the making of Baldur's Gate 3, the game's dungeon master, Swen Vincke, made a small decision that sent its development into a cascading spiral of problems that has been a big challenge to solve. And all it involved was getting the player to acquire one very specific item: the Mysterious Artefact and it belongs to a character named Shadowheart. In an effort to get the player to receive this item as elegantly and naturally as possible, as though it was their own decision, has resulted in creating 100s of possibilities that plagued the game's development.

This is the story of how the Mysterious Artefact broke Baldur's Gate 3.

On one hand you have to appreciate the dedication to the craft.
On the other one, I found myself wondering "What if you just made very clear that the box was important and you were supposed to keep it, and then reserve yourself the right to FUCK THE PLAYERS hard if they just didn't listed to the advice?"

Why is a "fail state" (and especially one purposefully caused by the player itself, rather than by a random roll) so much of a tabu in modern design?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom