Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

I just watched a youtube video about the game and one comment is bitching about it having turn based combat.
Some people on this very site were bitching about it too, because they wanted a RTWP game.
The real joke will be when divinity original sin 3 comes out and it's strictly real time. It'll still suck, of course, but it'll be extra funny for people without garbage taste in games.

I don't know if you've heard of them, but baldur's gate 1 and 2 actually weren't the exact same game as divinity original sin.

You know, most D&D CRPG adaptations since SSI are Turn Based. There are many things to criticize BG3 and Larian, being TB is not one of then.
Perhaps so, but all prior Baldur's gate games and by extension infinity engine games (you know, the thing they're marketing off of to get people to buy this game) were real time with pause (OK I'm ignoring deadly alliance here but come on). If they called it "gold box 3" or "Literally anything but baldur's gate" you'd have a good point, but then if they did that nobody would complain about it being turn based, nor would they care that it exists.

Ulysa

Scholar
I just watched a youtube video about the game and one comment is bitching about it having turn based combat.
Some people on this very site were bitching about it too, because they wanted a RTWP game.
The real joke will be when divinity original sin 3 comes out and it's strictly real time. It'll still suck, of course, but it'll be extra funny for people without garbage taste in games.

I don't know if you've heard of them, but baldur's gate 1 and 2 actually weren't the exact same game as divinity original sin.

You know, most D&D CRPG adaptations since SSI are Turn Based. There are many things to criticize BG3 and Larian, being TB is not one of then.
I was so willing to accept turn based combat before that first horrid gameplay preview. But since everything else sucks too I am making a combo and crying over RTwP.

:greatjob:

Novice

Perhaps so, but all prior Baldur's gate games and by extension infinity engine games (you know, the thing they're marketing off of to get people to buy this game) were real time with pause (OK I'm ignoring deadly alliance here but come on). If they called it "gold box 3" or "Literally anything but baldur's gate" you'd have a good point, but then if they did that nobody would complain about it being turn based, nor would they care that it exists.
Bitter faggot. Your franchise is being fixed. Accept it.

Divine Divinity did one thing. Beyond Divinity played with some cute ideas. Ego Draconis did something else. Dragon Commander did something completely different. Original Sin revitalized your dying genre and allowed a fuckton of studios to thrive in the industry by making such games, Original Sin 2 led to one of the most acclaimed games ever made, and Baldur's Gate 3 is pushing CRPGs into AAA space. LARIAN! LARIAN! LARIAN!

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

FriendlyMerchant

Bitter faggot. Your franchise is being fixed. Accept it.
There's nothing being fixed. If anything, the series is being ruined by Wizards as it the entire D&D franchise.
Original Sin revitalized your dying genre and allowed a fuckton of studios to thrive in the industry by making such games,
DOS1 was no more successful that PoE.
Original Sin 2 led to one of the most acclaimed games ever made, and Baldur's Gate 3 is pushing CRPGs into AAA space. LARIAN! LARIAN! LARIAN!
DOS2 is garbage. Crpgs were also already in the AAA space with KOTOR1, and DA:I. DOS3 is going to be garbage too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
its been years and codexers are still deep in the copemire over how successful DOS2 was

Here is Codex, DOS2 appears above freaking ToEE, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands, KCD, SW:Kotor, Dungeon Master, Ultima II(...) in the best RPG of all time. https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11193

The problem is not Larian, is Larian cultism. People who refer to dos2 as "modern baldurs gate" and an "classic in depth rpg experience" yet they have no clue about what they are talking about.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

RTwP is turn-based. Non-move actions still occur in initiative order.

It just takes out the immersion-breaking pen-and-paper necessities that are made obsolete by automating (and vastly speeding up) computation.

Pause spam is a UI issue. Games with an advance time button don’t have that unless you want the chaos.

Novice
its been years and codexers are still deep in the copemire over how successful DOS2 was

Here is Codex, DOS2 appears above freaking ToEE, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands, KCD, SW:Kotor, Dungeon Master, Ultima II(...) in the best RPG of all time. https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11193

The problem is not Larian, is Larian cultism. People who refer to dos2 as "modern baldurs gate" and an "classic in depth rpg experience" yet they have no clue about what they are talking about.
DOS2 is not a modern Baldur's Gate.
DOS2 is not a classic, in-depth RPG experience (whatever the fuck this means, but I'll go ahead and you mean the overall gameplay experience of Infinity Engine games).

DOS2 is the upgrade.

Desiderius

Patron
Yes, mobs standing around motionless while you run up and hit them is immersion breaking. At least Gold Box let you disrupt a caster with damage, in the Pathfinder games you can only do it with RTwP.

You can be a trad without being a Luddite. Every tradition you cherish was once an innovation itself.

The whole point of all those tables in the splatbooks was verisimilitude in its depiction of combat. The bottleneck preventing simultaneous movement was computational, not fidelity to the thing simulated. The computer relieved that bottleneck.

Last edited:

rojay

Scholar

It just takes out the immersion-breaking pen-and-paper necessities that are made obsolete by automating (and vastly speeding up) computation.

Pause spam is a UI issue. Games with an advance time button don’t have that unless you want the chaos.
You know, you're one of the most knowledgable people on this website. You don't have to be an asshole about it.

Edit: take it for what it's worth, kid. My advice is to learn some grace.

Black

Arcane

DOS2 is not a modern Baldur's Gate.
DOS2 is not a classic, in-depth RPG experience (whatever the fuck this means, but I'll go ahead and you mean the overall gameplay experience of Infinity Engine games).

DOS2 is the upgrade.
God damn, now there are two Rustics.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, mobs standing around motionless while you run up and hit them is immersion breaking. At least Gold Box let you disrupt a caster with damage, in the Pathfinder games you can only do it with RTwP.

You can be a trad without being a Luddite. Every tradition you cherish was once an innovation itself.

The whole point of all those tables in the splatbooks was simulational verisimilitude. The bottleneck preventing simultaneous movement was computational, not fidelity to the thing simulated. The computer relieved that bottleneck.
Bioware's "Real-Time with Pause" combat system, introduced in Baldur's Gate, was horrendous decline that tainted CRPGs for many years. Fortunately, CRPG audiences have belatedly seen the error of this path, as evidenced by their enthusiasm for both turn-based and action-based real-time combat systems over RTwP drek. +M

Desiderius

Patron
You clowns are fucking Amish. Notice nobody who likes RTwP is polluting threads with “hurr, durr, Jagged Alliance would be better with RTwP.”

It’s a circle-jerk of false nostalgia where you’ve talked yourselves into hating something most of you never even figured out how to play as intended.

TB games are fine for what they are. Chess is TB. Nobody is taking away your binky anytime soon.

Likewise action-based button-mashers for those who want maximum realism. RTwP executed properly is best of both worlds.

Desiderius

Patron

You know, you're one of the most knowledgable people on this website. You don't have to be an asshole about it.

The previous post is being an asshole. Which has its own purpose. The example you quoted here is anything but. It’s simply offering a different way of looking at the issue that could potentially alleviate the mostly false dichotomy people get stuck in.

That’s gracious in its own way and one sorely missing.

Cheap grace is the plague of the postmodern world.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DOS2 is the upgrade.

In what? The worst armor mechanic ever invented? Barrelmancy?

Bioware's "Real-Time with Pause" combat system, introduced in Baldur's Gate, was horrendous decline that tainted CRPGs for many years. Fortunately, CRPG audiences have belatedly seen the error of this path, as evidenced by their enthusiasm for both turn-based and action-based real-time combat systems over RTwP drek. +M

What do you think about pure real time D&D adaptations? Like Ravenloft : Strahd possession.

rojay

Scholar

The previous post is being an asshole. Which has its own purpose. The example you quoted here is anything but. It’s simply offering a different way of looking at the issue that could potentially alleviate the mostly false dichotomy people get stuck in.

I should know better.

Desiderius

Patron

I should know better.
Your above it all high-horseism is how we got in this mess. You’ve abstracted yourself out of life itself.

If you don’t have an asshole you wind up full of shit.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To clarify, I have got nothing against RTwP or TB. I just find it unusual that your post implies that turn based is the sole immersion breaker in an isometric game where you do not even look through your character's perspective and where you command the actions of multiple characters in battle.
And also because I think immersion is a screwy buzzword and that being engrossed in a game is more important than being immersed in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom