Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
With the game being multiplayer and all you can make a full party of Barbarians and play football with a goblin as the ball

But sadly the systems so far don't seem to allow for a barbarian wielding a barbarian wielding a barbarian wielding a barbarian wielding a goblin.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Of course you can give Netherese magical nukes and the Necronomicon to a lv 1 wizard. But that makes absolutely ZERO sense. Do you have an idea about how much high and even epic level Red Wizards of Thay are attempting to get such artifacts? Getting an incomplete copy of a copy of few necronomicon pages is should be near impossible for low level PC's.
YOU KNOW HOW MANY LVL 2 FIGHTERS ARE ATTEMPTING TO GET LONG SWORD +1? IT SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBRU FOR LEVEL 1 FIGHTER TO GET ONE!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
For comparison, would you say the same about Frodo gaining the One Ring, one of the most if not the most dangerous artifacts in all of Middle Earth? I will even argue that the ring was more dangerous and useful seeing as the hobbit could at least use it to turn invisible even if it leads to corruption.
Nothing Larian can defecate out in terms of writing will be like the One Ring.

aleph

Arcane
A +5 longsword and lv 9 spell scrolls should be way more common than partial copies of Necronomicon. If a +5 longsowrd is out of grasp for a lv 4 nobody, necronomicon should be even more.

There are no +5 weapons in 5E, bonuses stop at +3.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The "+1" thing has in-universe implications. The number indicates the amount of material FROM OTHER PLANES that went into crafting the item. So no, low level characters shouldn't have easy access to +2 and above.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So game will release in 2023, let's average it out and say it will release in May 2023. There is a year and about 3 months until release. So I assume Paladins and Bards are basically guaranteed (is there any other classes left in 5e? Monk?), including the testing buffer for the second new class we are looking at 1 class for every 6 months till release. Amazing progress.

That's also what, 2.5 years of early access? That's vaporware territory.
I'm hoping Swen will make Monk a DLC, so I will not buy it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
bigger numbers are better, if there aren't any sky high bonuses, you don't like it

Wrong. I prefer smaller numbers. In fact my favorite edition is AD&D 2E and one of the reasons is smaller numbers. But +5 is not a big number. Come on. Is not as if you have the same number bloat of DDO.

Blast a living enemy with 1d6+12 negative energy damage per caster level up to 25d6+300 at caster level 25. A successful Fortitude save reduces the damage by half. The ray also suppresses the life force of any living creature it strikes, granting it 1 negative level. And that ludicrous number is multiplied by your spellpower. I at lv 11 managed to do more than 1200 damage when the negative ray hit a critical hit

IMO DDO is a good game but the number bloat is one of the biggest problems.

For comparison, would you say the same about Frodo gaining the One Ring, one of the most if not the most dangerous artifacts in all of Middle Earth? I will even argue that the ring was more dangerous and useful seeing as the hobbit could at least use it to turn invisible even if it leads to corruption. Unless magic Tony Stark in BG3 can shoot beams out of it, to me it seems more like a plot device than anything else.

Frodo gains it exactly cuz he is the least likely to be corrupted by the ring. And the entire campaign is about destroying the ring and they try to be stealth. If the one ring was just a side content in the first movie, that would be silly, right?

Mitleser2020

Scholar
So game will release in 2023, let's average it out and say it will release in May 2023. There is a year and about 3 months until release. So I assume Paladins and Bards are basically guaranteed (is there any other classes left in 5e? Monk?), including the testing buffer for the second new class we are looking at 1 class for every 6 months till release. Amazing progress.

That's also what, 2.5 years of early access? That's vaporware territory.

There are 3 unreleased classes left: Paladin, Bard and Monk.

Here is class-focused video from November 2020 based on datamining which gives an idea of Larian's implementation of these classes.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The "+1" thing has in-universe implications. The number indicates the amount of material FROM OTHER PLANES that went into crafting the item. So no, low level characters shouldn't have easy access to +2 and above.
That explains max +3, can't get more planes than xy, xz and zx on cartesian.

Im referring to the only real version of DnD of course: 3.5
Tried to find the source but Google insists I should look at 5E instead

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
so lets see

- game is flashy like some korean mmo
- low level cap + 5ED
- game is more of a movie than a game
- current amount of content is pathetic
It actually looks very good at times. Dungeons is where it excels visually. But overall I agree that it needs some color palette toning down as well as fx and all the other fancy stuff. Blood spills are especially ridiculous.

Anonona

Learned
Frodo gains it exactly cuz he is the least likely to be corrupted by the ring. And the entire campaign is about destroying the ring and they try to be stealth. If the one ring was just a side content in the first movie, that would be silly, right?

Yeah, but I would guess that companion quest would revolve all around finding a way not to blow up, it is his motivation. If you are playing as him, then it probably would be pretty important for the player to get rid of it. I could be wrong though, I haven't even played the game, but I had the impression that the bomb may be his main concern even if you are not playing as him. I'll make an educated guess and say that probably in the full game not solving the bomb problem could have some kind of consequence, even if is just the character's death.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oooo, how did I miss this. Frodo gets the ring from Bilbo at first and then he volunteers to do it at the Council, it has nothing to do with his imperviousness to corruption. If anyone is the least likely to be corrupted, it's Sam.

Also, I thought more about this whole "the One Ring is the most powerful artifact and a bunch of lvl 1 hobbits get it" argument. Here's the thing with that, the lvl 1 hobbits can't use it to rule the world unlike Sauron, Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, etc. The most they can do is degenerate like Gollum because they aren't high enough level to use its other powers besides invisibility (a shitty one at that because Sauron instinctively knows where you are if you use it).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom