Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fuck. All of you assholes are clearly drunk. Take a piss and go to bed.

PS: IE Games are the god damned bedrock of incline.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
819954.png

Bioware: Not even once

Harthwain

Magister
This forum is filled with decline enabling Infinity Engine slanderers. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and PS:T are some of the greatest RPGs of all time, certainly within the top ten. Yet, you'll have people ranking shit like FO:NV or Gothic over them.
Gothic is a different kind of game than any Infinity Engine game so it's not the best comparison to be made.

Also, I wouldn't call Infinity Engine games "the greatest RPGs of all time". Unless you think that tactical combat games are the essence of RPGs. To me the actual RPG elements are very limted in Infinity Engine games outside of combat (with Planescape: Torment being a notable exception, which is probably the reason why it's the all-time favourite by most people who played it).

If anything, I'd say Fallout or Arcanum would be much closer to the ideal blueprint for an RPG. They are, of course, not without flaws of their own, but these are the games I think are more deserving the title of "the greatest RPGs of all time" than Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate. And I say that despite all of my love for Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate.

Reinhardt

Arcane
which companions would you add to the game if you could?
dorf bro fighter who don't talk much and wants to kill some gobbos.
human bro barbarian who don't talk much and wants to kill some elves.
human bro paladin who don't talk much and wants to kill some skellingtons.
elf girl rogue who don't talk much and wants to steal some shit.

Larianshill

Arbiter
LOL... Anyway, since you guys seems to have hated BG3 companions, which companions would you add to the game if you could?

I? I would make the 8 companions :
  • Dwarf heavy armored shield focused lawful good fighter who lost his faith and can regain his faith and become a lg paladin or cleric depending on player choices.
  • Robin hood style chaotic good ranger elf who hates taxes.
  • Chaotic neutral human barbarian who sees magery and/or civilization as a tool for weaklings who should't survive to defy the natural order, he would't join the party if charname is warlock, sorcerer, wizard and will be harder to recruit for divine casters but still possible
  • Neutral dragonborn who become a warlock to try in vain to save his village
  • Fanservice blonde, blue eyed elf cleric chick
  • Fanservice NYMPH druid chick ( druid is the most underrepresented class in this types of games) which got separated from her glade by a mindflayer experiment.
  • Gnome trickster illusionist who believes that gnomes are superior and should rule non gnomes
  • Halfling rogue who orphan who stole to live since he childhood.
What do you guys think?
What the game is really lacking is the Carth of the group. The Alistair, if you will. You know, a normal person. The closest thing BG3 has to it is Wyll, and he has a pact with a demon. And there absolutely needs to be a dwarf. Preferably a big titty female dwarf.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Number one rule of Aprile 1st jokes is they need to be funny. Is that too much to ask?

Dos3 is about 5 months away. Looking forward to a reasonably fun non bg experience by a company who hates dnd and bg.

Is there even a joinable dwarf npc?

Oh well.. At least you can eventually create the whole party.

Not one Larian npc is even in my top 100.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic is a different kind of game than any Infinity Engine game so it's not the best comparison to be made.
I understand why you might say this, but for me,

isometric view > first/third person view

when it comes to RPGs anyway. That is why even though Gothic is a totally different thing from the IE games, and might even be a good game, I consider the IE games to be in a league of their own in comparison to Gothic.
Also, I wouldn't call Infinity Engine games "the greatest RPGs of all time". Unless you think that tactical combat games are the essence of RPGs. To me the actual RPG elements are very limted in Infinity Engine games outside of combat (with Planescape: Torment being a notable exception, which is probably the reason why it's the all-time favourite by most people who played it).

If anything, I'd say Fallout or Arcanum would be much closer to the ideal blueprint for an RPG. They are, of course, not without flaws of their own, but these are the games I think are more deserving the title of "the greatest RPGs of all time" than Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate. And I say that despite all of my love for Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate.
While it is true that IE games are lacking in a lot of RPG elements, that doesn't mean they can't be great RPGs in spite of this flaw. I would disqualify Arcanum automatically from the debate due to how broken of a game it is, as well as how terrible the combat is. Fallout is a more spirited debate, but again, combat is terrible and frankly, though I didn't play through the entire game, the game also had some very bland and boring writing at least early on. These two flaws in addition to others (art style, UI, etc) mean it doesn't measure up to the IE titles imo.

It doesn't matter if game one has more RPG elements than game two. As long as game two has enough RPG elements to actually be considered an RPG, than we should assess the two games based on their quality, and if game two happens to be the better game, than it is the better RPG.

Harthwain

Magister
While it is true that IE games are lacking in a lot of RPG elements, that doesn't mean they can't be great RPGs in spite of this flaw.
True, which is why I mentioned Planescape: Torment as the best Infinity Engine game that was able to transcend the limitations of the engine.

I would disqualify Arcanum automatically from the debate due to how broken of a game it is, as well as how terrible the combat is.
I like Arcanum DESPITE its combat and due how reactive the world is to the player's character (and how expansive the character creation is, compared to most cRPGs). Like you said before - just because combat is not great and the game was obviously unfinished doesn't mean it can be considered a great RPG in spite of these flaws.

Fallout is a more spirited debate, but again, combat is terrible and frankly, though I didn't play through the entire game, the game also had some very bland and boring writing at least early on.
I found combat to be fine in Fallout and the writing was serviceable. This sounds like a personal preference more than anything else. Not that there is anything wrong with that (after all, de gustibus non disputandum est), but it can't exactly be used as an objective criteria when weighting one game against the other.

These two flaws in addition to others (art style, UI, etc) mean it doesn't measure up to the IE titles imo.
I didn't have any problem with either the art style nor the UI, so I am not sure what's the problem here. Nor I find it to be an argument for or against something being a particularly good RPG.

It doesn't matter if game one has more RPG elements than game two. As long as game two has enough RPG elements to actually be considered an RPG, than we should assess the two games based on their quality, and if game two happens to be the better game, than it is the better RPG.
I disagree with this take.

It does matter how many RPG elements a game has (or how they are implemented) if we are to judge it as an RPG. For example: I will take any Troika game over a BioWare game, because in Troika games low intellect actually impacts what you can say, whereas in BioWare games you can make a character with INT 1 and talk perfectly fine as their games don't track character's stats in conversations. Which is VERY stupid thing to do in an RPG.

Sacibengala

Prophet
This thread is more depressing than the new dragon age game one. I'm curious if with the game it will be the same.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Imagine how great the game could be if all of its jokes were of the same quality as that tweet

Aside for being some pretty fucking cringey humor in itself, which is a description that covers pretty much 99% of what Larian puts out on social medias these days, I especially dislike this one because it feels like a deliberate middle finger to months of discussions on their very official forum, where a lot of people expressed a lot of criticism about how easily exploitable ("easy to cheese") most of Larian core mechanics are (Stealth, shove, merchant attitude, "dialogue lock" and in the past even height and backstab advantage).

This reads pretty much like "We like our cheese, and fuck you if you don't", which incidentally aligns perfectly with things Swen Vincke said in the past about the way they design their games.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
LOL... Anyway, since you guys seems to have hated BG3 companions, which companions would you add to the game if you could?

I? I would make the 8 companions :
  • Dwarf heavy armored shield focused lawful good fighter who lost his faith and can regain his faith and become a lg paladin or cleric depending on player choices.
  • Robin hood style chaotic good ranger elf who hates taxes.
  • Chaotic neutral human barbarian who sees magery and/or civilization as a tool for weaklings who should't survive to defy the natural order, he would't join the party if charname is warlock, sorcerer, wizard and will be harder to recruit for divine casters but still possible
  • Neutral dragonborn who become a warlock to try in vain to save his village
  • Fanservice blonde, blue eyed elf cleric chick
  • Fanservice NYMPH druid chick ( druid is the most underrepresented class in this types of games) which got separated from her glade by a mindflayer experiment.
  • Gnome trickster illusionist who believes that gnomes are superior and should rule non gnomes
  • Halfling rogue who orphan who stole to live since he childhood.
What do you guys think?
You are way over thinking this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom