Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hate Larian so much.
Reading the patchnotes, an improvised weapon with more than 10kg weight does 2d4 damage. Thats 5 average. The best one-handed nonmagical weapon is a longsword with 1d8. Thats 4,5.
The strongest sword and board fighter uses a shield and a 10kg tableleg as his main weapon before magic items.
As you can wield enemies as improvised weapons now, which also deals damage to them, wielding a Goblin as an improvised weapon is likely the best in slot sword for a one handed sword and board warrior.

It is like they entered a contract with Asmodeus that for every new good thing a patch brings (Barbarian looks deecent) they have to introduce something that is solely there to give Grognards a brain aneurysm.

I hate Larian so much.
Reading the patchnotes, an improvised weapon with more than 10kg weight does 2d4 damage. Thats 5 average. The best one-handed nonmagical weapon is a longsword with 1d8. Thats 4,5.
The strongest sword and board fighter uses a shield and a 10kg tableleg as his main weapon before magic items.
As you can wield enemies as improvised weapons now, which also deals damage to them, wielding a Goblin as an improvised weapon is likely the best in slot sword for a one handed sword and board warrior.

It is like they entered a contract with Asmodeus that for every new good thing a patch brings (Barbarian looks deecent) they have to introduce something that is solely there to give Grognards a brain aneurysm.
It is new Larian HOLDS UP SPORK nonsense anon! It is! It is new Larian LE QUIRKY BARRELMANCY nonsense anon! It is!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway, not only we had ultra low level chars adventuring into the underdark, using barrelmancy to kill a fire dragon fleeing a mindflayer spelljammer ship, carrying ancient Netherese magical nukes, meeting archdruids and helping then with dangerous enemies, but also this lv 1~4 chars will find the Necronomicon. A book which every high level necromancer or evil cleric wanna have. There are more epic artifacts in this game's chapter 1 than in WoTR, a game where you can reach lv 40.

It feels like the saturday morning D&D Cartoon where on the first episode they go against fucking Tiamat or some shit.

Yep. Vox Machina. I read a bit of their wiki and OMG. Pronouns in character sheets... D&D used to have titles for high level chars, now they have pronouns.

That is :decline:

"Noooo, you can't have cool magical objects in a low level D&D campaign"

Of course you can give Netherese magical nukes and the Necronomicon to a lv 1 wizard. But that makes absolutely ZERO sense. Do you have an idea about how much high and even epic level Red Wizards of Thay are attempting to get such artifacts? Getting an incomplete copy of a copy of few necronomicon pages is should be near impossible for low level PC's.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
they are giving fricking nukes to level 1 frogs
i wonder if thats an exaggeration

No, is not.

"A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city" https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Gale

Yes, this lv 1 wizard have a magical nuke from the ancient times that mortals could cast true godlike tier 10/11/12 magic and affect deities. And guess what. There are people theorizing that Gale is Karsus.

Delterius

Arcane
they are giving fricking nukes to level 1 frogs
i wonder if thats an exaggeration

No, is not.

"A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city" https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Gale

Yes, this lv 1 wizard have a magical nuke from the ancient times that mortals could cast true godlike tier 10/11/12 magic and affect deities. And guess what. There are people theorizing that Gale is Karsus.

ah so the guy is a bomb in the story

rip him

here i thought you were complaining about something that matters

Anonona

Learned
No, is not.

I dunno, does it really apply in this case? Seems to me like it is not much more different than any other story where the main character gains a powerful yet dangerous macguffin. For comparison, would you say the same about Frodo gaining the One Ring, one of the most if not the most dangerous artifacts in all of Middle Earth? I will even argue that the ring was more dangerous and useful seeing as the hobbit could at least use it to turn invisible even if it leads to corruption. Unless magic Tony Stark in BG3 can shoot beams out of it, to me it seems more like a plot device than anything else. If anything, the tadpoles may be more of a "low level nuke" what with them being special and granting powers and such.

Yep. Vox Machina. I read a bit of their wiki and OMG. Pronouns in character sheets... D&D used to have titles for high level chars, now they have pronouns.

That is :decline:
...What?
No, he's talking about this oldie:

1-28.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I hate Larian so much.

So once again they are too retarded or too arrogant to follow the RAW.

An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage (the GM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object). If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage.

Weight does not impact damage at all.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hate Larian so much.

An object that bears no resemblance to a weapon deals 1d4 damage (the GM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object). If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage.

That's a dumb rule. Obviously you're gonna feel it more if someone whacks you in melee with a bowling ball than say, a baseball.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I hate Larian so much.

That's a dumb rule. Obviously you're gonna feel it more if someone whacks you in melee with a bowling ball than say, a baseball.

It exists to prevent the scenario THAC0 mentioned and regardless of what they think, its not Larians place to fiddle with the rules.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"muh high level pew pew" and "no dungeons and kobolds gameplay wahh wahh" all the time.

Wrong. Low level D&D is fine mainly in 5E where most P&P modules are very low level. The problem is giving legendary artifacts to low level characters. A +5 longsword and lv 9 spell scrolls should be way more common than partial copies of Necronomicon. If a +5 longsowrd is out of grasp for a lv 4 nobody, necronomicon should be even more. If Larian wanna to end this game at lv 13, a partial copy of necronomicon being a part of the end game goal is ok. Being a random item in chapter 1 is silly.

What is the next? Lv 0 peasants with Mjolnir and Excalibur?

LE QUIRKY BARRELMANCY nonsense !! It is!

Barrel thrower Barbarian subclass and Barrelmancer wizard subclass when??

It exists to prevent the scenario THAC0 mentioned and regardless of what they think, its not Larians place to fiddle with the rules.

Rule of cool >>>> balance.

A Barbarian throwing a druid gnome at the enemy and then it shapeshifting into a bear sounds pretty dope, so why not?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
So game will release in 2023, let's average it out and say it will release in May 2023. There is a year and about 3 months until release. So I assume Paladins and Bards are basically guaranteed (is there any other classes left in 5e? Monk?), including the testing buffer for the second new class we are looking at 1 class for every 6 months till release. Amazing progress.

That's also what, 2.5 years of early access? That's vaporware territory.

Anonona

Learned
With the game being multiplayer and all you can make a full party of Barbarians and play football with a goblin as the ball

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom