Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Facial animations "looking weird" is a bug I hope, as they stood out as significantly good when I played it.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was today years old when I finally did some reading on original BG3 project and its plot: am I the weird one or is the premise much more interesting than MUH ZANY RANDOM HIGH FANTASY FLYING NAUTILOIDS shit Swen is throwing at us? The Black Hound sounds like a grounded, down-to-earth story with nice symbolism and great potential.

Curratum

wqyqAZr.jpg

Nothing further, your Honor.

Out of boredom with how little they introduced in the updates of the vanilla game, yesterday I started to fool around with some mods.

I installed some stuff that added more levels, more spells, revamped a couple of classes and added a subclass in particular (Hexblade).
I have to say I'm impressed. I never touched this stuff so far because I expected for it to be in a much rougher state, but in reality most of it already feels almost impossible to tell apart from the native content.
Not even sure what parts of this additional content are datamined and what are custom made, so far.

If this is the level that can be achieved now with an almost complete lack of dedicate tools, it bodes reasonably well for the future.

Still, please, for the love of god (or whatever other fictional entity you are into), I know that expecting some modder to remove the toilet chain is just asking too much, but can someone come up with a way to change the stupid default formation?
I hate that default wide pyramidal formation with fierce passion.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are your characters always tied together, or does it work like in the DOS games?

Gargaune

Magister
Still, please, for the love of god (or whatever other fictional entity you are into), I know that expecting some modder to remove the toilet chain is just asking too much, but can someone come up with a way to change the stupid default formation?
I have that default wide pyramidal formation with fierce passion.
Unlikely, that would actually be asking more than for a mod to remove the toilet chain.

I have that default wide pyramidal formation with fierce passion.
Unlikely, that would actually be asking more than for a mod to remove the toilet chain.
Why, are you aware of someone who tried and found it to be hard-coded or something?

Gargaune

Magister
Why, are you aware of someone who tried and found it to be hard-coded or something?
No, I'm just making an educated guess. The way the game determines companion positions relative to the current leader will fall under AI routines and, especially since there's no player input in this regard, is quite likely to be hardcoded in engine functionality. With the Toilet Chain, you have a prayer that maybe, just maybe, a modder will be able get his grubby little hands in the GUI listeners, but this other one seems like a very long shot.

No, I'm just making an educated guess. The way the game determines companion positions relative to the current leader will fall under AI routines and, especially since there's no player input in this regard, is quite likely to be hardcoded in engine functionality. With the Toilet Chain, you have a prayer that maybe, just maybe, a modder will be able get his grubby little hands in the GUI listeners, but this other one seems like a very long shot.
It's not really a "dynamic AI" type of thing. They tend to assume a fixed position near your character that for all intents and purposes is a good old formation (and then move around a lot as soon as you click or target something, because LARIAN).

But as far as formations go it's a shitty one. By default with 4 character it's basically a tilted square, rhombus, diamond or whatever you want to call it.
Then as you add more characters (currently only through modding) you start to see the pyramidal (or triangular) pattern becoming more obvious:

Here's a screenshot:

3F11E8194C50F401C32EF99EBAC9CD3F317669EB

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's not really a "dynamic AI" type of thing. They tend to assume a fixed position near your character that for all intents and purposes is a good old formation (and then move around a lot as soon as you click or target something, because LARIAN).

But as far as formations go it's a shitty one. By default with 4 character it's basically a tilted square, rhombus, diamond or whatever you want to call it.
Then as you add more characters (currently only through modding) you start to see the pyramidal (or triangular) pattern becoming more obvious:

Here's a screenshot:

3F11E8194C50F401C32EF99EBAC9CD3F317669EB

From that picture, there seems to be no relation between the distance from the PC on the toilet chain and the depth they stand in the formation - IOW, it doesn't look like it's possible to ensure your squishies are more to the back just by positioning them on the toilet chain. Is that true, or is there some way of ensuring a meatshield->squishy formation?

From that picture, there seems to be no relation between the distance from the PC on the toilet chain and the depth they stand in the formation - IOW, it doesn't look like it's possible to ensure your squishies are more to the back just by positioning them on the toilet chain. Is that true, or is there some way of ensuring a meatshield->squishy formation?
You can rearrange the order of portraits, but it's basically pointless, since...
- The way they position in the formation has no logic correlation to where in the order of portraits you put them (i.e. I put Gale, the mage, on the botton and he's still right behind my playable character in the formation).
- As soon as you ungroup/regroup for whatever reason, the order of portraits rearranges basically randomly (not exactly, as there IS a criterium about it - the one you are controlling is dragged on the top - but still, not something you can have a direct control over).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You can rearrange the order of portraits, but it's basically pointless, since...
- The way they position in the formation has no logic correlation to where in the order of portraits you put them (i.e. I put Gale, the mage, on the botton and he's still right behind my playable character in the formation).
- As soon as you ungroup/regroup for whatever reason, the order of portraits rearranges basically randomly (not exactly, as there IS a criterium about it - the one you are controlling is dragged on the top - but still, not something you can have a direct control over).

That's very disappointing and annoying :( I loathe that kind of randomness.

Trithne

Erudite
The portraits have this "Russian X-Com clone" energy to them. They also look like the character is getting their licence photo taken.

Even Battletech managed to at least give their 3d portraits some character.

The portraits have this "Russian X-Com clone" energy to them. They also look like the character is getting their licence photo taken.

Even Battletech managed to at least give their 3d portraits some character.
Not that I'm THAT invested in this specific topic, but there are plenty of "AI generators" that can do pretty damn convincing RPG portraits these days, starting from basic descriptions ,reference pictures or whatever else.
I wonder when we'll see some developers making use of this type of stuff in a game with a large quantity of characters (or maybe even with infinite generated ones).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom