Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Why, are you aware of someone who tried and found it to be hard-coded or something?
No, I'm just making an educated guess. The way the game determines companion positions relative to the current leader will fall under AI routines and, especially since there's no player input in this regard, is quite likely to be hardcoded in engine functionality. With the Toilet Chain, you have a prayer that maybe, just maybe, a modder will be able get his grubby little hands in the GUI listeners, but this other one seems like a very long shot.
It's not really a "dynamic AI" type of thing. They tend to assume a fixed position near your character that for all intents and purposes is a good old formation (and then move around a lot as soon as you click or target something, because LARIAN).

But as far as formations go it's a shitty one. By default with 4 character it's basically a tilted square, rhombus, diamond or whatever you want to call it.
Then as you add more characters (currently only through modding) you start to see the pyramidal (or triangular) pattern becoming more obvious:

Here's a screenshot:

3F11E8194C50F401C32EF99EBAC9CD3F317669EB
Have to admit a big party looks kind of cool.

Gargaune

Magister
It's not really a "dynamic AI" type of thing. They tend to assume a fixed position near your character that for all intents and purposes is a good old formation (and then move around a lot as soon as you click or target something, because LARIAN).
From a technical standpoint, I'd imagine that the party "formation" is dictated by positional vectors relative to the leader which set the location targets, and then the AI actors pathfind to those within a certain tolerance. If so, you could hypothetically externalise these vectors to an accessible config file, but as an engineer, it's unlikely you'd go through the trouble if the design has no use case for them ever changing. And since Larian can't even be bothered to minimally optimise party selection, I doubt they'd spare a thought for travel formation in their TB game.

That's very disappointing and annoying :( I loathe that kind of randomness.
I never tire of pointing out just how similar (and marginally subpar) to NWN2's interfaces BG3 is. :) NWN2 also randomly shuffles portrait orders around, but only on save/load.

The portraits have this "Russian X-Com clone" energy to them. They also look like the character is getting their licence photo taken.

Even Battletech managed to at least give their 3d portraits some character.

NWN2 started out with 3D head portraits, and then with MotB they added proper, painted 2D ones. I'm telling you guys, I won't tire of it. :M

Spectacle Here, I found the part of the thread where you made the exact same question and got multiple answers. Including mine:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...h-8-bards-gnomes.135311/page-555#post-7773478

Pretty much anywhere they were civilized enough to have proper toilets, if you go back in time far enough.

Then again I'm not sure how common it may be in English to refer to a "toilet chain", because quite frankly at first I came up with the label for the Larian system in Italian, using what's a very common italian way to refer to the "toilet flush" in old-styled bathrooms (I think my exact words were more or less "la loro catenella del cesso di sto cazzo" if we have to be that specific).

The translation is just something I improvised trying to adapt in English a rant I already had among Italian friends.
And then I noticed other people on the Larian forum adopted it without protesting, so I assumed it didn't sound too weird.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Spectacle Here, I found the part of the thread where you made the exact same question and got multiple answers. Including mine:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...h-8-bards-gnomes.135311/page-555#post-7773478

Pretty much anywhere they were civilized enough to have proper toilets, if go back in time far enough.

Then again I'm not sure how common it may be in English to refer to a "toilet chain", because quite frankly at first I came up with the label for the Larian system in Italian, using what's a very common italian way to refer to the "toilet flush" in old-styled bathrooms (I think my exact words were more or less "la loro catenella del cesso di sto cazzo" if we have to be that specific).

The translation is just something I improvised trying to adapt in English a rant I already had among Italian friends.
And then I noticed other people on the Larian forum adopted without protesting, so I assumed it didn't sound too weird.
Is it common it Italy to associate chains with toilets?

Is it common it Italy to associate chains with toilets?
That type of model isn't used very often anymore, unless you go into some very old homes, but yeah, generally speaking the term "catenella del cesso" (toilet chain) is still used as a not-very-formal-nor-polite way to refer to any toilet flush.

And even more in general some variation of "Tira la catena" ("Pull the chain") is a way to suggest someone to get rid of his own shit (both literally and figuratively).

MuffinBun

Educated
I still don't understand why people associate chains with toilets.
Its about your soul being chained to a digestive system and as an extent - to the physical body. Look up "anality" in freudian psychoanalisis.(seriously. I dont agree with this, but its real)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's very disappointing and annoying :( I loathe that kind of randomness.
I never tire of pointing out just how similar (and marginally subpar) to NWN2's interfaces BG3 is. :) NWN2 also randomly shuffles portrait orders around, but only on save/load.

Gaaah, I remember now, how annoying that is. I also played DAO recently and it annoyed me incredibly that the portrait order/team position order bore no relation to the selection order you'd do on the team selection page.

Come on developers, surely getting these things consistent and correct can't be that complicated to implement.

Positioning should matter, should be a part of gameplay, and that should be reflected by the possibility of having particular team order/pattern and placement.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3385035722285102093
Hotfix #26 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.1721785
253da2b1d718566428e62fd56882e2c3719bb543.jpg

Hello everyone,

We’ve got a new hotfix for you today, taking care of multiple crashes, bugs, and issues. Sometimes, corpses get nostalgic for those halcyon days of being less corpse-y. When this happens, they tend to stand bolt upright in an act of what can only be described as undead defiance. We’ve told them to act their age (dead being their age), hopefully leading to fewer weird ‘Didn’t I kill you already?’ moments.

As ever, thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3 and reporting these issues to us through all our channels. We really appreciate it!

CRASHES AND BLOCKERS
  • Party members now appear correctly at camp regardless of how many times you go there.
  • Fixed a major blocker causing a permanent black screen if the game had just loaded after you went to camp.
  • Fixed a major multiplayer issue causing you to get blocked if you gave a fellow player control of an Origin character.
  • Fixed an issue that would block you in the Active Roll UI if you were interrupted by an NPC’s crime interrogation dialogue.
  • Fixed a crash related to the bibberbangs’ explosion VFX.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur after loading a savegame.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur if you had created the Vision of the Absolute spear and saved in camp.
  • Fixed a blocker that would occur if you took a Long Rest after defeating Bernard and the automatons atop the Arcane Tower.

CINEMATICS
  • Fixed cinematic issues related to Barcus and Beldron at Grymforge.
  • Fixed a cinematic issue related to missing water VFX when speaking to Gauntlet Dain at Waukeen's Rest.
  • Fixed the myconids freezing during their cinematic dialogue.
  • Fixed a cinematic issue causing party members to have jittering heads during the cinematic dialogue with the deep rothé.
  • Fixed female halflings and gnomes not looking at the correct speakers in a cinematic dialogue during the introduction to the camp area.
  • Fixed cinematic issues in the conversation with Nettie involving drinking the antidote.
  • Fixed a continuity issue where the bard dialogue options with BOOOAL wouldn’t proceed correctly.
  • Fixed several cinematic issues related to camera angles, animations, depth of field, popping, lighting, and clipping.

UI
  • Fixed an issue related to the new combat cameras causing the gold dice overlay and vignette to go missing after the first critical camera shot.
  • Added missing weapon damage resistance to the resistances' update.
  • Fixed an issue causing the inventory to appear empty if a character was looted as a soul and then revived.
  • Fixed an issue causing spells in the custom Hotbar to be removed after Wildshaping.
  • Fixed a UI issue where searching for filtered names did not display the relevant items.
  • Fixed spell options becoming greyed out if you moved around in-game whilst the Variant Hotbar was open and active.
  • Fixed some global inventory filters not working if your character wasn't Proficient.
  • Fixed the visibility of the Options screen when applying any Interface option while in a dialogue.

CONTINUITY AND OTHER BUGS
  • Fixed corpses standing upright after you leave a region and go to camp. This was also affected by Autosave.
  • Fixed an issue causing druids to lose all their prepared spells if they had used Dismiss Wild Shape or if they dropped to 0 HP.
  • Fixed an infinite loop of entering and exiting combat when only one character and one in-world item remained.
  • Fixed the Short Rest SFX.

MORE ABOUT THIS GAME

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Reinhardt , imagine being able to do this:

Show video of Baldur's Gate 3 so I can make an informed comparison between the two.

Not much to see.

Just a bunch of spergs moving around erratically without any particular reason as you stroll around.

Then again, for how bad this default formation can be, the worst part of this system comes when you are attempting to move separate subgroups rather than when you are moving the entire party.
Imagine, for instance, that you are in need to move three of them in one direction and three on the opposite one: welcome to MINUTES of bizarre and convolute pulling and pushing for what could take two drag and click with a typical CRPG.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just a bunch of spergs moving around erratically without any particular reason as you stroll around.
I kinda get this, but it seems like a nitpick to me. Which is fine, we're all particular in different ways. It's more that I've been playing a lot of Solasta lately and despite the characters having more of a standard select and click interface, they tend to move kind of like that if you select them all and sometimes if combat starts during a move, more than one character will be in the same space and they'll separate arbitrarily as initiative is rolled.

It looks dumb, but it's a relatively minor and primarily aesthetic issue, imo.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Hey Reinhardt , imagine being able to do this:

Show video of Baldur's Gate 3 so I can make an informed comparison between the two.

Not much to see.

Then again, for how bad this default formation can be, the worst part of this system comes when you are attempting to move separate subgroups rather than when you are moving the entire party.
Imagine, for instance, that you are in need to move three of them in one direction and three on the opposite one: welcome to MINUTES of bizarre and convolute pulling and pushing for what could take two drag and click with a typical CRPG.

20+ year old games have more responsive formations than this. I dislike how loose animations feel in many modern games that are supposed to have high production value. That character dangling his arms after he is supposed to finish moving doesn't make the game look more technically impressive; it's annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom