Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access - coming August

Larianshill

Arbiter
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is also one of the oldest dungeons in existence, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
rusty_shackleford Keep your sci-fi space magic in Mass Effect, please. Medieval superstitious magic provides well enough, thank you.

D&D is all about the kitsch. Without that it's just bad fantasy. That's why my favourite thing about BG3 announcement was the crazy trailer with the mindflayer steering a nautilus by playing intestinal harp. Good shit

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I am probably late, but problem is not wizard being powerfull - problem is that other classes have less satisfying progression and for some classes half of progression is bloat of numbers. Also there a problem that you can't nerf wizard without making class shit, because class made with versatility in mind and taking spells or nerf them into oblivion will rob class from versatility. It's other classes need to be buffed/changed or whole skill/magic system should be replaced by another skill/magic system. For example, why Sorcerers have to have same spell list as Wizard? Why casters descended from boss level eldritch abominations should cast the same spells as Wizards? They need unique mechanic and spell list imo.

D&D has become a mess of magic systems. I consider warlocks a failed attempt at improving the gameplay dynamic of Vancian casters. D&D5E works well using the spell point alternative, which could be much better utilized and expanded upon. I've messed around with the idea of the spellpoint cost being reduced by the caster's proficiency bonus. Increasing the cost of spells by 50% (rounding down) would keep nearly the same curve while making Level 1 spells free at CL 9 and Level 2 spells free at CL 17. That reduction would also apply to metamagics or upcasting. So a Level 17 Sorcerer could quicken Thunderwave at no SP cost. Off the cuff, I think it works out well. Two wizard class features would need reworked, but that's easily done.

Spell damage/scaling and concentration could also be improved. The number of damage dice for any given spell could simply be (Spell Level + Proficiency Bonus + Attribute Bonus) d6. Cantrips would go back to being non-damage utility spells or use a d3. Some unique/iconic spells like Meteor Storm could use greater dice, like a d10 or d12. Concentration could also be improved too. Casually speaking, it seems alright if the caster can maintain spell levels equal to their Proficiency + Attribute bonus. Maximally, a 20 INT CL17 wizard could maintain one Level 9 spell and one Level 2 spell, or two Level 4 and one Level 3 spells. Much more flexible and fun. It also opens the door for feats that can improve those abilities for the player. D&D 5E was a good start, and I like it, but it could be greatly improved if they were willing to step further away from tradition.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
rusty_shackleford Keep your sci-fi space magic in Mass Effect, please. Medieval superstitious magic provides well enough, thank you.
I'd prefer it if the Medieval superstitious magic was actually medieval superstitious magic, not just a shoe-in for heavy artillery in a setting where artillery hasn't been invented and not just a form of deus ex machina as character abilities.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There's really nothing wrong with D&D magic except how common it is. So it just becomes a crutch for a lot of things and invites people to make up dumb stuff like magic wheelchairs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Again, that depends on the setting. If you wanna an setting where magic is a lot scarce and feared, play Dark Sun.
Yeah. That's one of the things I like about D&D lore with the different crystal spheres. You can have your own little low-magic world, untouched by most of the high-magic stuff. And yet, you still have a lot to draw from in order to populate it.

But Faerun gonna Faerun, and that's what most people know.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Low magical settings = Game of Thrones, Conan
Medium magical settings = Gothic, Two Worlds, Witcher, Dark Sun **
High magical settings = Faerun, Eberron, Mystara.

Dark Sun without psionics would be low magical, but with psionics is mid IMO.

Faerun, the most popular modern D&D setting is probably one of the highest magical settings ever. An Netherese campaign is way more high magic than freaking Harry Potter. If you wanna run a low magical setting game, there are adaptations of D&D ruleset for it, like this adaptation of 3.5E for an Conan campaign, where magic is far more ritualistic, corrupting, dangerous and weak >> http://hyboria.xoth.net/sorcery/low_magic_system.htm

What I don't get is. Why play an very high magical setting and complain that is too magical? What is the next? Play an cyberpunk setting and complain that is too high technological?

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is also one of the oldest dungeons in existence, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it
I have never met anyone who didnt enjoy Expedition to the Barrier Peaks ?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Vampires :

Warhammer / AD&D/ Castlevania / Hellsing
YuwVhlc.png
etiIYTI.png
r945tIS.png
cacPQDJ.png

And ....

BG3
5yMevRo.png

I complain about BG3 and Larian cultists a lot but at least we don't have Astarion defenders here in Codex...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vampires :

YuwVhlc.png
etiIYTI.png
r945tIS.png
cacPQDJ.png

And ....

BG3
5yMevRo.png

I complain about BG3 and Larian cultists a lot but at least we don't have Astarion defenders here in Codex...
Why are you comparing vampires to vampire spawn again?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why are you comparing vampires to vampire spawn again?

We could compare to other lesser vampires, vampire brides, vampire spawns and so on. Ravenloft : Strahd possession lesser vampires where way better.

BruceVC

Magister
Pleased to meet you.
You may now amend your statement.
Do you have links that support this post, I am dont mean to question the general veracity of your post but its well known that people can be contrarian on Codex?

So I would need links before I believe you ;)

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was " ranked the fifth-best Dungeons & Dragons adventure of all time by Dungeon magazine in 2004 ", I loved the entire S series of modules and DM in all of them. My favorite being White Plume Mountain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_to_the_Barrier_Peaks

BruceVC

Magister
Vampires :

YuwVhlc.png
etiIYTI.png
r945tIS.png
cacPQDJ.png

And ....

BG3
5yMevRo.png

I just watched Hellsing for the first time this week and it was very entertaining but dont consider Alucard a real Vampire

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Pleased to meet you.
You may now amend your statement.
Do you have links that support this post, I am dont mean to question the general veracity of your post but its well known that people can be contrarian on Codex?

So I would need links before I believe you ;)

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was " ranked the fifth-best Dungeons & Dragons adventure of all time by Dungeon magazine in 2004 ", I loved the entire S series of modules and DM in all of them. My favorite being White Plume Mountain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_to_the_Barrier_Peaks
I have never even played the thing.
I just said that so you can take it off your bucket list dude. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom