Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Salvo

Arcane
he's a vampire spawn, not a vampire. Vampire spawn date to at least 3.5e
D&D has been a cringelord gathering place from the start. No point looking for a wholesome period. It can be argued that tastes have turned more and more depraved with the years, but I consider this a side effect, pop-culture seeping into D&D culture as D&D became more popular.
Matt Mercer's and his scripted show's fault
I still liked his voice acting in PoE and Deadfire :)
I don't dislike the man but I dislike the effect he had on the culture, though not as damaging as The Big Bang Theory or Stranger Things

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Have you ever considered that having predefined characters you can play as does not detract from the rest of the game?
It seems you think that they did not use extra developer resources to add the origin characters option, but this simply isn't the case. They put a lot of effort into writing dialogue trees for you to select for every origin character, which obviously took away from dialogue and reactivity for the custom character. I don't think anybody expects a custom character to have the same potential depth as a pre-created one, they just want the resources put into the pre-created ones to be put into the custom one instead.

Codex Year of the Donut
Have you ever considered that having predefined characters you can play as does not detract from the rest of the game?
It seems you think that they did not use extra developer resources to add the origin characters option, but this simply isn't the case. They put a lot of effort into writing dialogue trees for you to select for every origin character, which obviously took away from dialogue and reactivity for the custom character. I don't think anybody expects a custom character to have the same potential depth as a pre-created one, they just want the resources put into the pre-created ones to be put into the custom one instead.
and yet I already pointed out there's a completely unique drow playthrough that is excluded from all pregens

Reinhardt

Arcane
rusty is right. you play as companion nigguh - other niggers who know him "yo, nigger wyll!" same way as if he was just in your party. why would they shout "yo, nigger xXxOneWingedAngelSephirothxXx" if they don't even know your xXxCustomWarlockxXx?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
rusty is right. you play as companion nigguh - other niggers who know him "yo, nigger wyll!" same way as if he was just in your party. why would they shout "yo, nigger xXxOneWingedAngelSephirothxXx" if they don't even know your xXxCustomWarlockxXx?
Right, they wouldn’t. But Larian can make a series of quests (obtaining a title, becoming a member of order, etc.) that could make a main character fit better in the world by adding reactivity. “Oh, aren’t you the sir high commander of the paladin order 1nstak1!!HeadSmusha? himself? Of course you can use the library! By the way our high cleric would like to have a word with you.”
So far this type of reactions is exclusively reserved for the companions.

Reinhardt

Arcane
“Oh, aren’t you the sir high commander of the paladin order 1nstak1!!HeadSmusha? himself? Of course you can use the library! By the way our high cleric would like to have a word with you.”
nigga, it's chapter 1. in previous games all you could get is "100 gold for the head of CHARNAME" on some random hobo. every single npc except maybe imoen was more important, be it harpers, zhentarim agents or dorf running caravan protection company.

Fargus

Arcane
41wZ8T8.jpg

Quillon

Arcane

So have they fixed "controlling companions(non-player origin characters) in dialogue" abomination yet?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
“Oh, aren’t you the sir high commander of the paladin order 1nstak1!!HeadSmusha? himself? Of course you can use the library! By the way our high cleric would like to have a word with you.”
nigga, it's chapter 1. in previous games all you could get is "100 gold for the head of CHARNAME" on some random hobo. every single npc except maybe imoen was more important, be it harpers, zhentarim agents or dorf running caravan protection company.
Nigga, it’s not really about importance. It’s about the world reacting to your charname in a coherent way. In the BG1’s first chapter you were traveling from Candlekeep to meet friends after some stressful events. That’s how you have been introduced to the NPCs and they reacted accordingly. That’s how your protagonist establishes himself in the game world.

I assume Larian will introduce some backstory for the charname after all. The hints of this could be seen in some dialog choices (well, one, iirc). The problem is this backstory couldn’t be on par with something like Gale’s or demon NPC’s how’s her name. And I believe this to be an intentional design choice hence their motto for BG3 “the party is the protagonist”. While I don’t find this approach bad per se, I find it hard to relate to a party where the most NPCs are awesome buttons, while the player’s one being a placeholder.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
The problem with custom characters in DOS:2 isn't that they can't have a backstory to play off of. It's that they have way less interesting and diverse ways to roleplay than the average CRPG on account of all that writing being put into the other characters.

The problem with custom characters in DOS:2 isn't that they can't have a backstory to play off of. It's that they have way less interesting and diverse ways to roleplay than the average CRPG on account of all that writing being put into the other characters.
This is the opposite of a problem. The pregen characters should also have minimal backstory. The game is supposed to tell a story, not make allusions to one that has already played out.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i'm always roleplaying as murderhobo who murders evil pipo and takes their stuff. my party roleplays as murderhobos who murder evil pipo and take their stuff too.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm always roleplaying as murderhobo who murders evil pipo and takes their stuff. my party roleplays as murderhobos who murder evil pipo and take their stuff too.
Except that one time when you played Battle Brothers, where, in the single game that exemplifies being a murderhobo, you took to trading.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Except that one time when you played Battle Brothers, where, in the single game that exemplifies being a murderhobo, you took to trading.
still killed everyone in the end. looted weapons and armors still considered trade goods. also various body parts. you can sell them too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom