Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Playing an instrument badly in front of NPCs no longer makes them refuse to speak to you ever again.
Game has gone from a realistic down to earth sim to a power fantasy in this one change.

FriendlyMerchant

realistic down to earth sim
wkQcg5f.gif

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
DOS3... err... BG3 cant be Larian's breakthrough. They already had their breakthrough. It was he original DOS1. LMAO

Of course the game will make money.

I think it will be a fun game for the most aprt with some usual Larian flaws.

But, it will never be a true BG3. And, no, it's not because of turn base. I like turn base combat. But, Larian doesn't understand or even like BG or DnD. Their bashing of both, ignorance of the spirit and rules of both, and their treatment of criticism... Oops... that fits into modern Hasbro... perhaps they do fit in to nu HASBRO DnD.

LMAO

Still, not one legit dwarven npc and no H0T female npcs... EPIC FAIL.

Was it ever disclosed how much money Larian got out of the Stadia deal?
Not what Larian got exactly, but there were "leaks" about how Google pretty much overpaid for every single agreement they signed.
According to the rumors in some cases up to 100 millions only to get a guaranteed Stadia port plus exclusive rights among streaming services.

Chances are a sizable part of the entire Baldur's Gate 3 budget has been courtesy of Google... And they didn't even have to deliver anything in the end. :)

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm glad that Stadia failed. Streaming in games would be a nightmare and bring a huge decline. Larian is the luckiest game developer ever. Talking about portables, did anyone played BG3 in steam deck?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So lemme get this straight: Swen swindled persuaded Google, and half of his Steam customers to buy his game on a promise that it will come out in the next 5 years at some point?

Todd is sweating in a corner over there at what Swen just pulled off.

Just crossed this interview from few days ago: https://www.gamesradar.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-bring-the-magic-of-dandd-back-to-gaming-in-2023/

And this quote caught my attention:

That's not to say that it's been smooth sailing. Vincke says that "in the beginning we thought adapting D&D into a video game format would be more straightforward, but we've learned a whole lot along the way about what makes sense in a tabletop RPG versus a video game."

I'm not sure why Swen keeps repeating this tired bullshit. At no point they served people with a faithful adaptation of the rules, and if anything despise their urge of WANNABE MODERN DESIGNERS they spent two years of EA almost systematically reverting some of their worst changes back to a more functional form (which incidentally overlapped every single time to the way the tabletop implemented them).
IF this EA should have taught them something, is not that "some things don't work in videogames" but that "some rules are written in a certain way for a reason and changing them on a whim rarely leads to improvements".

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"some rules are written in a certain way for a reason and changing them on a whim rarely leads to improvements".

Examples? I can only think in very few cases of a adaptation from P&P into computer which improved the game. Warlocks in DDO, their pacts affect their Eldritch Blast damage which makes each pact more unique. But in most cases, it only makes things worse. See nwn2 without spell fixes and with spell fixes how much spell fixes improve the game.

And some adaptations are necessary. The most iconic example is the wish/limited wish with a "wish list" of some pre determined wishes.

Wish is a stupid example, because it's basically an "open spell" where you can come up with fucking whatever and the GM has to negotiate the plausibility. Of course in a videogame that's going to be restricted to a limited range of possibilities (and Throne of Bhaal did just that).

Back to the first question, one banal example of " don't mess with a rule if you don't understand why it's there" would be Larian's implementation of the Shove action. They thought it was a great idea to "give characters more things to do per turn" and the unintended consequence now is that shove moved from being "situationally useful" to "too fucking convenient to pass" compared to a lot of other bonus actions, to the point even their own "dynamic AI" learned to abuse the hell out of it at any given chance". As a result some fights now resemble more closely a Benny Hill skit that an ideal battle of sword and sorcery.

Other examples would be... Well, the entire laundry list of POOR homebrew tweaks Larian originally implemented and then spent the last two years reverting:

- disengage for free on jump
- disengage on a bonus action
- their terrible implementation of backstab, with advantage applied just by walking slowly being an enemy
- advantage given for standing on higher ground (sometimes even two goddamn crates above the target)
- disadvantage for being on lower ground (no, it's not a repetition of the previous point, they used to add up)
- food used for healing
- making stealth work based on cones of vision rather than skill checks
- no fatigue or exhaustion
And more.

These are all examples of " minor changes" from the tabletop that ended up having a far bigger impact on the flow of the game than Larian ever realized.
And now they are releasing the Nth interview where they try to pass the idea that their struggle so far has been about "being too faithful".

I also happen to disagree in general with the idea that CRPGs should strive to have the numeric/mechanical predictability of a videogame-centric ruleset.

As a side note, I don't want to see absolutely shit from NWN 2 if I can help it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3656394723635462015

Hotfix #32 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.2154614

Hello everyone,

Today we bring you a new hotfix, which addresses some common reasons for crashes and other gameplay issues.

This hotfix will also take care of the issue causing parties of 3-4 players to crash when a second player joins an already-started conversation. (
Warning:
We're pleased to assist in making your party chats run smoothly, but you're on your own when it comes to avoiding small talk.)

A big thank you to all who reported this issue and all the rest!

For our Mac players, we know you’re still waiting for Patch 9. We’re continuing to work on the stability of the build on Mac, but need some more time to address the issues.

CRASHES AND BLOCKERS
  • Fixed a crash caused by RAM corruption that would occur when loading into the tutorial.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when booting the game using Vulkan.
  • Fixed an issue prompting the 'Mid-dialogue saves are currently disabled' error while not in dialogue, which was preventing you from saving.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur in 3- or 4-player sessions - if one player is in a dialogue and another listens in, the game no longer crashes for everyone else.
  • Fixed an issue in multiplayer causing the UI to disappear when switching from listening in on the host to listening in on the client.
GAMEPLAY
  • Fixed an issue causing your equipped weapon set to switch from melee to ranged or vice versa when loading a savegame.
  • Fixed an issue causing some of Shadowheart's spells to disappear from her prepared spell list after saving and then loading that savegame.
  • Fixed some visual issues with the Vision of the Absolute spear.
  • Fixed a certain non-interactable NPC appearing in the goblin camp.

LabRat

Learned
Almost three years, Larian still doesn't made their own homebrew subclasses, while Solasta has a lot of homebrew subclasses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom