Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Almost three years, Larian still doesn't made their own homebrew subclasses, while Solasta has a lot of homebrew subclasses.
Weird, it's almost like being an official licensed product might tie you to certain features while not being an official product that specifically disallows you from using non-OGL subclasses and forces you to make homebrew stuff create different conditions.

Solasta devs have been extremely clear on why they homebrewed stuff and didn't have <insert class here> that people wanted.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Almost three years, Larian still doesn't made their own homebrew subclasses, while Solasta has a lot of homebrew subclasses.
It would just be nice if the game offered more support for the official subclasses.

It would just be nice if the game offered more support for the official subclasses.
It will (allegedly) include all the PHB subclasses on release, but it's up the air how much of the "extended" options will be included.
Hexblade warlock is in very popular demand for what I can see, for instance. Given that even modders managed to implement it without too much of a struggle it would be a missed chance on their part to not capitalize on its popularity.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was under the opinion that Larian should homebrew stuff, but honestly, this will be probably the unique official D&D 5E adaptation. I wish that they deliver PHB and after the PHB, maybe picking the most popular D&D homebrew class with Woketard's and the creator's permission. TBH some very popular homebrew classes would be hard to adapt into a CRPG like the blue mage https://www.dndbeyond.com/subclasses/9262-blue-mage )

But would be funny to see "Anime Swordsman" in this game https://www.dndbeyond.com/subclasses/39530-anime-swordsman

Any chance for Hexblade or was that entirely ruled out?
Neither a confirmation nor a denial so far.
The thing is, Larian basically promised they are going to implement pretty much anything of relevance in the Player's Handbook but implied that nothing past that is guaranteed.
My guess is that they MAY decide to implement a couple of extra subclasses if popular and in high demand enough (especially if not particularly messy to implement) but no one should expect an extensive amount of "expanded" material.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I like Bladesinger better (Hexblade can be a bit one-dimensional, ironic for a gish), I just figured Bladesinger odds = 0 while Hexblade competes for the top spot in terms of popularity for non-PHB subclasses.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Any chance for Hexblade or was that entirely ruled out?
Neither a confirmation nor a denial so far.
The thing is, Larian basically promised they are going to implement pretty much anything of relevance in the Player's Handbook but implied that nothing past that is guaranteed.
My guess is that they MAY decide to implement a couple of extra subclasses if popular and in high demand enough (especially if not particularly messy to implement) but no one should expect an extensive amount of "expanded" material.

Larian promised to implement all the classes in the PH, but implied that nothing past that is guaranteed. Which means there's a good chance they won't implement all subclasses in the PH. Of course that means there's even less of a chance they will implement non PH subclasses.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hoped all the barrels and ground shit would stay in DoS and BG would be all about D&D type spells.

Codex Year of the Donut
I hoped all the barrels and ground shit would stay in DoS and BG would be all about D&D type spells.
Heavy objects doing damage when dropped on you has been a rule in D&D since at least AD&D. People complaining about it are -- definitely not to my surprise -- crpg babbies whose only experience with D&D is neverwinter nights and baldur's gate.
image.png

Larian games are closer to tabletop than almost any other computer RPG because they actually reward you for thinking outside the box. "nooo you shouldn't be able to just push people off a ledge to do damage!!!"
...why not? Stop standing next to ledges, dumbass.

BruceVC

Magister
Heavy objects doing damage when dropped on you has been a rule in D&D since at least AD&D. People complaining about it are -- definitely not to my surprise -- crpg babbies whose only experience with D&D is neverwinter nights and baldur's gate.
image.png

Larian games are closer to tabletop than almost any other computer RPG because they actually reward you for thinking outside the box. "nooo you shouldn't be able to just push people off a ledge to do damage!!!"
Its interesting how some of the criticism towards BG3 is because people dont know the D&D\AD&D tabletop ruleset

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
image.png

This was actually my thought when I was screwing around right after the EA launch. I'd been pretty impressed with it. My main complaint was the changes to things like cantrips automatically giving effects that would tend to make them better than your levelled spells and an overabundance of barrels. They've revised and stepped back from both of those decisions, so I'm cautiously optimistic this may actually be a high production value RPG that's actually an RPG and not the usual crap we get that says it's an RPG, but is actually a walking/romance simulator.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My point was that DoS is all about covering the place in oil then blowing it up, or water to lightning or frost. It gives bonuses which is kool, but it was all the game was about... Fights are mostly about the ground bonus. D&D sucks too but it is better than DoS. More spells, more effects, gives more chance for it to actually be an interactive experience that you can lose by picking unsuitable things... or win big by making good choices. Without that it's just a story driven puzzle game for console tards.

Here's the problem with this stupid line of argument:

No one has any problem with the player being able to push opponents over the edge; the issue is that with BG3's implementation of shove "the edge" is literally any spot 4 meters away from a precipice/water body/lava pit.
In some scenarios (like the boat combat in the Underdark) it becomes literally impossible to put yourself in a spot where you CANNOT be shoved into insta-death. And losing the initiative roll is all it takes to be basically a bunch walking corpses.
Conversely, by the rule with "Shove" you'd be supposed to be able to do just two things: use your action to push an opponent 5ft/1,5m away OR use it to make that creature go prone (fall on the ground).

Then on top of this you have the fact that Shove is not just significantly buffed in terms of range and dangerousness, but it also became a bonus action because Larian's brilliant designers decided that "melee need more shit to do", which as already pointed makes it so surprisingly convenient to use compared to a lot of other bonus actions (since you don't even have to trade off your attacks to use it) that the AI itself started abusing it over and over and over.

Here's an example (among many) of threads going over the issue: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=836549#Post836549

It's not even strictly a matter of "balance". Endorsing this playstyle gives a very bad "aesthetic" vibe to the combat in general, turning what should be the representation of a "battle of sword and sorcery" into a Benny Hill skit where everyone is shoving around everyone else and the only thing missing is a cheerful tune in loop.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom