Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Larian games are closer to tabletop than almost any other computer RPG because they actually reward you for thinking outside the box. "nooo you shouldn't be able to just push people off a ledge to do damage!!!"
...why not? Stop standing next to ledges, dumbass.
Here's the problem with this stupid line of argument:

No one has any problem with the player being able to push opponents over the edge; the issue is that with BG3's implementation of shove "the edge" is literally any spot 4 meters away from a precipice/water body/lava pit.
In some scenarios (like the boat combat in the Underdark) it becomes literally impossible to put yourself in a spot where you CANNOT be shoved into insta-death. And losing the initiative roll is all it takes to be basically a bunch walking corpses.

Then on top of this you have the fact that Shove is not just significantly buffed in terms of range and dangerousness, but it also became a bonus action, which as already pointed makes it so surprisingly convenient to use compared to a lot of other bonus actions (since you don't even have to trade off your attacks to use it) that the AI itself started abusing it over and over and over.

Here's an example (among many) of threads going over the issue: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=836549#Post836549
lmao this guy fell off the edge and blamed the game

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Rusty playing a Larian game:

*Shove*
*Shove*
*Shove*

Man it's just like pen and paper, where the DM always places the monsters next to ravines, lava, quicksand and puddles of oil.

You want the game changed because you're too inept to not position your characters next to ledges.
I "want the game to change" because
1- the current implementation is INCORRECT
2- the ideal way to work around the issue pushes for an UNAPPPEALING playstyle that throw plausibility out of the window for a "game-y" exploit-heavy approach.
3- In some cases, as pointed, there is simply NO WAY to "play safe" without abusing save-scumming and rerolls.

Codex Year of the Donut
You want the game changed because you're too inept to not position your characters next to ledges.
I "want the game to change" because
1- the current implementation is INCORRECT
2- the ideal way to work around the issue pushes for an UNAPPPEALING playstyle that throw plausibility out of the window for a "game-y" exploit-heavy approach.
3- In some cases, as pointed, there is simply NO WAY to "play safe" without abusing save-scumming and rerolls.
lmao now he admits to savescumming

typical

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It does look a bit silly with dudes sending each other flying. I thought to use shove you had to be next to the edge, not for it to work six meters away.

It does look a bit silly with dudes sending each other flying. I thought to use shove you had to be next the edge, not for it to work six meters away.
Because it is. It is more than "a bit" silly. It's stupid to the bone.

And it's not coincidental that it's one of the most recurring complaints among players about the current state of EA (probably THE most recurring one, now that reactions have been addressed to an extent).

P.S. Oh, and for the record, Solasta has the "SHOVE" action too and guess what? It's not so disruptive to the balance because their implementation of the mechanic isn't downright retarded.

Last edited:

CodexTotalWar

Learned
To be fair, the issue with that specific video is as much a Shove issue as it is a water = instant death issue.

Ironically, in that fight if you moved Shove to 5E RAW they'd actually get to shove twice as much because of Extra Attack. Realistically the only way to fix that would be to reduce the launch distance of the shove itself.

I do agree that Shove right now needs better counterplay. Outside of instant-death water (which should really fixed), Feather Fall is usually the play but right now you have to pre-buff with it, whereas it should be a reaction.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They've revised and stepped back from both of those decisions
I may have missed something, did they drop the barrelmancy? How?
I had read somewhere in this thread that they'd dialled it back by reducing the number of barrels. If that's not true it's probably my faulty memory. I haven't touched the EA in about a year or so.

Ironically, in that fight if you moved Shove to 5E RAW they'd actually get to shove twice as much because of Extra Attack. Realistically the only way to fix that would be to reduce the launch distance of the shove itself.
But that's the point. Or at very least one of the main points of contention.
Shove should just allow to push someone 5ft/1,5m away, not to YEET the poor bastard into the stratosphere.

And "being careful of the edges" should simply mean that you shouldn't linger less than 5-10 feet next to one, not that "Anywhere in a five meters radius is potential insta-death".

To add insult to the injury, the wonky physics implementation in the game make it so that things don't just fall (mostly) *vertically* as they should, but gain significant horizontal momentum when height is added to the equation.
Which in layman terms means that an already ridiculous 4m/20ft shove can turn into a 20+ meters throw if some height is involved, turning whoever is doing the pushing in an human trebuchet.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Shove should just allow to push someone 5ft/1,5m away, not to YEET the poor bastard into the stratosphere.

And "being careful of the edges" should simply mean that you shouldn't linger less than 5-10 feet next to one, not that "Anywhere in a five meters radius is potential insta-death".

To add insult to the injury, the wonky physics implementation in the game make it so that things don't just fall (mostly) *vertically* as they should, but gain significant horizontal momentum when height is added to the equation.
Which in layman terms means that an already ridiculous 4m/20ft shove can turn into a 20+ meters throw if some height is involved, turning whoever is doing the pushing in an human trebuchet.
I still fondly remember launching Lae'zel off the side of the airship right after she was introduced. It was like she had Boba Fett's malfunctioning jetpack on. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Patron
My guess it is done that way to keep it from being too niche.
It's also fairly entertaining. It wouldn't be quite so bad if it wasn't a bonus action so you could just spam it risk-free every round. That alone makes combat stupid like a Benny Hill farce, as someone (Tuco?) said above.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Rusty: Shoving people is 'realistic' and part of pnp rules.

Also Rusty: Water being insta death is a-okay even though in pnp water is NOT insta death.

LMFAO

So.. which is it? Are you pro pnp rules or not?

mediocrepoet

Patron

Also Rusty: Water being insta death is a-okay even though in pnp water is NOT insta death.

LMFAO

He's usually pro-whatever gets a rise out of people, especially if it's inconsistent since that irritates anyone who's paying attention. Imo of course, YMMV.

FriendlyMerchant

9IGONZ2.png

cOO14M1.png

W18svLB.png

FriendlyMerchant

LMFAO

He's usually pro-whatever gets a rise out of people, especially if it's inconsistent since that irritates anyone who's paying attention. Imo of course, YMMV.
I think I found your answer

R9aAUXr.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

50cent-lol.gif

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3640633392760507300

Now streaming on Geforce NOW

It’s time to take the party to the cloud. We’re excited to announce that Baldur’s Gate 3 is now available to stream via GeForce NOW! Experience Baldur’s Gate 3 on underpowered PCs and more with a GeForce NOW membership. Members will be able to adventure, loot, battle and romance as they journey through the Forgotten Realms, either alone or with companions.

To find out more about GeForce NOW, please visit Nvidia’s blog and follow the GeForce NOW Twitter channel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom