Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You don't have to. It's just my baseline for how I think a DnD computer product should feel like.
I bought a copy of Chalice 2 but haven't loaded it up yet. Between it, Grimoire and Kenshi I've got a bunch lined up to experience. I haven't even finished the first one but I do wish they retained the graphics and overall presentation of it in the new one.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
there's no they. it's just a single guy working on it. hence on the concessions pierre had to make on the game.
Right, I did know that but wasn't thinking. I actually forgot it was even coming out and had been away from gaming for a few months so when I saw it on GOG I grabbed it immediately.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's going to be some interesting content in store for the game. Plus he's going to buff a couple classes. Then there's modules that he promised he'll get done in the upcoming months. As well as more feats too. So if you don't play it now. There'll be good content waiting once you eventually get to it.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There's going to be some interesting content in store for the game. Plus he's going to buff a couple classes. Then there's upcoming modules that he promised he'll get done in the upcoming months. As well as more feats too. So if you don't play it now. There'll be good content once you eventually get to it.
Awesome! Not to piss anyone off who enjoys or looks forward to BG3 being up in the thread, but it is reassuring to know that despite D&D games heading into a direction far away from the Gold Box roots catering to a different audience, there are still some games out there devoted to recreating the earlier ruleset experiences.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What made you refund this game anyway?
Cause it feels like a downgrade to Chalice 2.
:| All credit to Pierre for KotC 1&2 but they aren't even the same sort of game and the goals and target audience are completely different.

BG3 is a more narrative driven game like the first two and is trying to bring in a reasonably accurate version of the 5E ruleset just as the first two did with 2E back in the day.

KotC 1&2 use Pierre's homebrew versions of 3E and are basically a series of combat encounters with little in the way of plot or non-combat mechanics.

It's almost bizarre to compare them if you ask me. It's like saying you refunded Resident Evil: Village because you prefer the features in Minecraft.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Cause it feels like a downgrade to Chalice 2. Chalice 2 features:
- Mage Transformations
- Monk; which will soon get reworked to have cool buffs and some class kits
- Good Enemy AI that will challenge you tactically
- Best implementation of DnD ruleset, with modifications by Pierre (some of the modifications are actually great quality of life changes), which adheres to the ruleset as faithfully as it can.
- Module Editor so you can create your own content
- Lots and lots of feats
- level cap beyond 20
- Hand crafted encounters that are made to challenge you and make you think
- Lots of cool classes
- Complete in-game database that is super easy to access and use
- Fluid Hotkey system that makes playing the game feel natural, playing the game feels like water cause of how smooth the experience is
- Pierre is also constantly updating the game while adding new things

Baldur's Gate 3 on the other hand required me to mod my favorite class just so I can enjoy the game. So that's a fail on the game :P
LMFAO, imagine unironically playing and liking this MsDOS looking trash in the year of our lord 2022

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1233530/Knights_of_the_Chalice_2/

Remind this french cuck called "Pierre" that I'm the king of Crpg's.

FriendlyMerchant

Cause it feels like a downgrade to Chalice 2.
:| All credit to Pierre for KotC 1&2 but they aren't even the same sort of game and the goals and target audience are completely different.

BG3 is a more narrative driven game like the first two and is trying to bring in a reasonably accurate version of the 5E ruleset just as the first two did with 2E back in the day.
Not an excuse for Trash combat and garbage controls. Even PS:T has better gameplay than DOS3 and the same control scheme as BG1+2, IWD1+2, and it was a narrative based game. BG1 alone had way better gameplay than this trash.
KotC 1&2 use Pierre's homebrew versions of 3E and are basically a series of combat encounters with little in the way of plot or non-combat mechanics.
I don't remember Barrelmancy or the excess of groundfire effects being in 5e last time I checked. I also don't remember the ruleset for lifting objects (such as those pertaining to barrelmancy) being anything close to the way they're represented here.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Cause it feels like a downgrade to Chalice 2. Chalice 2 features:
(...)

Baldur's Gate 3 on the other hand required me to mod my favorite class just so I can enjoy the game. So that's a fail on the game :P

Yep. KoTC2 is a masterpiece. They are the closest thing to a modern Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Wake of the Ravager.

To be fair, both games are completely different with completely different target audience. Pierre is aiming in the early 90s RPG fans. Larian is aiming at the Bioware crowd. I disagree with your analogy with RE/Minecraft cuz we are talking about two games which are D&D adaptations. A better analogy would be project CARS and Mario Kart, both are technically racing games and both have completely different target audience.

imagine unironically playing and liking this MsDOS looking trash in the year of our lord 2022

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1233530/Knights_of_the_Chalice_2/

Remind this french cuck called "Pierre" that I'm the king of Crpg's.

DOS RPGs are more immersive than modern RPGs.

Also, if you wanna play D&D CRPG's in more ""exotic"" settings like Dark Sun or Ravenloft, you need to play this Strategic Simulations/Dreamforge games.

PS : Swen is only the king of MODERN rpgs.

BG1 alone had way better gameplay than this trash.

DOS era games which Swen keep criticizing has better gameplay than DOS3 Faerun Edition.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

To be fair, both games are completely different with completely different target audience. Pierre is aiming in the early 90s RPG fans. Larian is aiming at the Bioware crowd. I disagree with your analogy with RE/Minecraft cuz we are talking about two games which are D&D adaptations. A better analogy would be project CARS and Mario Kart, both are technically racing games and both have completely different target audience.
135.png

So what you're saying is that two video games focusing on different market segments that have some but not a lot of overlap is better defined by your analogy, but not the original one which said the same thing? Got it. You really gave me a lot to think about.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
'Swarm AI' is nothing new right? Didn't Temple of Elemental Evil do it 20 years ago? They're just taking something old and putting a fancy title on it lol. It's not exactly groundbreaking, I've considered doing it in my own crappy games

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
'Swarm AI' is nothing new right? Didn't Temple of Elemental Evil do it 20 years ago? They're just taking something old and putting a fancy title on it lol. It's not exactly groundbreaking, I've considered doing it in my own crappy games

Be glad that Larian is copying ToEE instead of modern RPGs...

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Everything Larian does is ground breaking, please don't take away the credits of this amazing studio. Swarm AI is a brand new idea that literally nobody else thought about before.

Mojobeard

Augur
Do the new facial animations look weird to anyone else? They're constantly doing these just, odd grimaces, overacting. I remember them looking better before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom