Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
What is the difficulty to put an caster and cast dispel magic if the party is full of buffs?
What does dispel magic have to do with the tedium of prebuffing?
Maybe you should try Pathfinder 2e.
I'd be happy to play it if someone adapts it into a video game but I haven't enjoyed playing it at the table, because like pathfinder 1e and the newer d&d editions each encounter takes 10 years as everyone painstakingly calculates their bonuses and hums and haws about what to do next.

aleph

Arcane
I'd be happy to play it if someone adapts it into a video game but I haven't enjoyed playing it at the table, because like pathfinder 1e and the newer d&d editions each encounter takes 10 years as everyone painstakingly calculates their bonuses and hums and haws about what to do next.

Yeah, that's annoying. Unfortunately, most people interested in crunch heavy games like Pathfinder 2e are exactly the kind of people who take ages to decide what they are gonna do on their turn.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
The math is not complicated. +2, +1, +3(...) also, players can't pre buff if they where ambushed.
Oh when I'm talking about prebuffing I'm talking about in crpgs, it's definitely not an issue at the table. And maybe you've only played with high iq people but from my experience even simple math slows down the game dramatically.

Codex Year of the Donut
a system that makes 5E look like customization heaven with its extremely limited character options
...no?
(most level ups in baldur's gate 1&2 will consist of you clicking the 'ok' button)
probably because they only implemented parts of the system???

3e skills were just AD&D NWPs except ruined by tethering them to classes(therefore merely making them an illusion of choice) and most of them were cut.
'feats' were available in many forms ranging from proficiency slots(especially expanded in the Complete Fighters Handbook and such) to outright new character point systems as presented in the Skills & Power accessory

yes, AD&D had backgrounds and other stuff for your characters. None of this is new. I remember particularly liking the one Player's Option rule that split each attribute into two sub-attributes.

FriendlyMerchant

sounds like 5e is just a better 2e for you
If you don't subtract AC from THAC0 to figure out what you need to roll to hit, then it's not even D&D.
That's essentially what 5e is, a better, more modern 2e.
5e is more like a variation on 3e with some retarded rules like being able to use potions as quick actions after moving and attacking, somehow magically getting extra actions during combat, and AC/save/AB caps. It also keeps the retarded nonsense of being able to "sneak attack" once per turn regardless of whether or not the character is correctly positioned (at least in 3e, flanking was required even though the rule for it defeated the thematic purpose of a sneak attack; AD&D limited it to backstabs where the thief had to exactly be at the enemy's back). Then to top it all off, it's ability score improvements every few levels just like 3e.

So... Since some time passed, it may be the moment to ask...
No leak/first impression whatsoever was posted anywhere from anyone who had the chance to try act 2/3 during one of these closed doors testing sessions at Larian?

Gargaune

Magister
Personally I've always hated 5e at the table but I look forward to playing it in a CRPG.
Kinda the opposite for me, only ever played 5E at the table and the accessibility was essential to my group, but I'd want 3.5E in my cRPG. When the computer's handling all the numbers, I kinda want all those skills and feats and stuff, levelling in BG3's EA felt a little bit like autopilot.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think the biggest thing I hate about 3.xe is the initiative system. Ya got your base stat, modifiers, bonuses, then ya roll a d20 on top of it, then add it all up. If you roll low, you die. Roll or die kind gameplay. When it shouldn't be the case for just getting to decide who gets to act. Should be through actual playing rather than losing d20 die. I don't think encounters should be lost or won by basis of that alone.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
5e is more like a variation on 3e

Is more like an variation of 4E. Low level characters can survive being shot by cannons, lots of nonsensical gamey stuff in sneak attacks every turn no matter what and hitting undeads, mundane weapons damaging ghosts, high level fights lasting forever, tiers of play, lv 1 nobodies being "heroes", short/long rest which is AEDU in disguise. wizards being merely controllers, artstyle, lack of OHK spells, traps(magical or not) being extremely weaker(...)

3E is not as good as 2E but please. Don't compare 3E and 5E. 5E took few good things from 3E and a lot of bad things from 4E. Just like PF2e which sucks and I hope that OwlCat adapts any retroclone into an CRPG but never touches PF2e.

aleph

Arcane
5e is more like a variation on 3e with some retarded rules like being able to use potions as quick actions after moving and attacking, somehow magically getting extra actions during combat, and AC/save/AB caps. It also keeps the retarded nonsense of being able to "sneak attack" once per turn regardless of whether or not the character is correctly positioned (at least in 3e, flanking was required even though the rule for it defeated the thematic purpose of a sneak attack; AD&D limited it to backstabs where the thief had to exactly be at the enemy's back). Then to top it all off, it's ability score improvements every few levels just like 3e.

5e plays nothing like 3e on the table and has a completely different design philosophy, but right it is a variation on 3e because some dumb New Codex trash (join date 2020, lol) like you says so. Let me guess, you barely glanced at 5e, never played it, you just think saying stupid shit and being all edgy earns you Kool Kodex Kredits, right?

FriendlyMerchant

5e plays nothing like 3e on the table and has a completely different design philosophy, but right it is a variation on 3e because some dumb New Codex trash (join date 2020, lol) like you says so. Let me guess, you barely glanced at 5e, never played it, you just think saying stupid shit and being all edgy earns you Kool Kodex Kredits, right?
Hello retarded goy.

Larianshill

Arbiter
5e is more like a variation on 3e

Is more like an variation of 4E. Low level characters can survive being shot by cannons, lots of nonsensical gamey stuff in sneak attacks every turn no matter what and hitting undeads, mundane weapons damaging ghosts, high level fights lasting forever, tiers of play, lv 1 nobodies being "heroes", short/long rest which is AEDU in disguise. wizards being merely controllers, artstyle, lack of OHK spells, traps(magical or not) being extremely weaker(...)

3E is not as good as 2E but please. Don't compare 3E and 5E. 5E took few good things from 3E and a lot of bad things from 4E. Just like PF2e which sucks and I hope that OwlCat adapts any retroclone into an CRPG but never touches PF2e.
What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? Do you ever stop to consider the shit that comes out of your mouth?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom