Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Again, that depends on the setting. If you wanna an setting where magic is a lot scarce and feared, play Dark Sun.
Yeah. That's one of the things I like about D&D lore with the different crystal spheres. You can have your own little low-magic world, untouched by most of the high-magic stuff. And yet, you still have a lot to draw from in order to populate it.

But Faerun gonna Faerun, and that's what most people know.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Low magical settings = Game of Thrones, Conan
Medium magical settings = Gothic, Two Worlds, Witcher, Dark Sun **
High magical settings = Faerun, Eberron, Mystara.

Dark Sun without psionics would be low magical, but with psionics is mid IMO.

Faerun, the most popular modern D&D setting is probably one of the highest magical settings ever. An Netherese campaign is way more high magic than freaking Harry Potter. If you wanna run a low magical setting game, there are adaptations of D&D ruleset for it, like this adaptation of 3.5E for an Conan campaign, where magic is far more ritualistic, corrupting, dangerous and weak >> http://hyboria.xoth.net/sorcery/low_magic_system.htm

What I don't get is. Why play an very high magical setting and complain that is too magical? What is the next? Play an cyberpunk setting and complain that is too high technological?

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Vampires :

Warhammer / AD&D/ Castlevania / Hellsing
YuwVhlc.png
etiIYTI.png
r945tIS.png
cacPQDJ.png

And ....

BG3
5yMevRo.png

I complain about BG3 and Larian cultists a lot but at least we don't have Astarion defenders here in Codex...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vampires :

Warhammer / AD&D/ Castlevania / Hellsing
YuwVhlc.png
etiIYTI.png
r945tIS.png
cacPQDJ.png

And ....

BG3
5yMevRo.png

I complain about BG3 and Larian cultists a lot but at least we don't have Astarion defenders here in Codex...
Why are you comparing vampires to vampire spawn again?

BruceVC

Magister
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is also one of the oldest dungeons in existence, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it
I have never met anyone who didnt enjoy Expedition to the Barrier Peaks ?
Pleased to meet you.
You may now amend your statement.
Do you have links that support this post, I am dont mean to question the general veracity of your post but its well known that people can be contrarian on Codex?

So I would need links before I believe you ;)

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was " ranked the fifth-best Dungeons & Dragons adventure of all time by Dungeon magazine in 2004 ", I loved the entire S series of modules and DM in all of them. My favorite being White Plume Mountain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_to_the_Barrier_Peaks

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks is also one of the oldest dungeons in existence, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it
Pleased to meet you.
Do you have links that support this post, I am dont mean to question the general veracity of your post but its well known that people can be contrarian on Codex?

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was " ranked the fifth-best Dungeons & Dragons adventure of all time by Dungeon magazine in 2004 ", I loved the entire S series of modules and DM in all of them. My favorite being White Plume Mountain

I have never even played the thing.
I just said that so you can take it off your bucket list dude. :lol:

BruceVC

Magister
Pleased to meet you.

I have never even played the thing.
I just said that so you can take it off your bucket list dude. :lol:
I thought you were joking, its like meeting someone who says " I dont eat Pizza" ....who doesnt eat Pizza?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember when me and my friends would think that Alucard is just a caricature of a real vampire, because he used guns. And now 20 years later he's on a list being considered "a real vampire".

Funny.

BruceVC

Magister
because he used guns

WTF!! Lots of vampires uses guns mainly in urban fantasy settings. As for guns ,he don't use regular guns. He uses a freaking .454 Casull fully automatic pistol.

dont consider Alucard a real Vampire

Why not? He is literally Dracula
Mostly because I dont agree with Hellsings entire interpretation of what Vampires are and how they interact with humans. I watched Hellsing Ultimate and it was entertaining but he is not a " vampire " based on normal vampire lore and there are lots of inconsistencies and artistic license used like how vampires and ghouls get created. Why should it matter if you a virgin or not?

Stadia is shutting down (good fucking riddance, by the way) and the internet is now full of brilliant armchair experts making claims like "It was very shortsighted for Larian to support the platform".

I wonder if they realize that it wasn't a decision made out a kindness toward Google. Larian got a big fucking check to support Stadia. An almost-outrageous amount, in fact, if past rumors are to be trusted.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Better. An almost-classles system. The fewer the classes, the closer to the optimum.
Meh. Classless systems have their own merits, but there's nothing inherently wrong with a class-based system where each one has very specific roles, strengths and limitations.
As usual is more a matter of proper implementation than anything.
Either system can feel meaningless if there is no reactivity provided for it, and all else being equal it's easier to balance and provide reactivity for fewer classes than for more. I'm drifting more and more towards quality over quantity. Maybe I should go back to playing some AoD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom