Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Longes

Augur
do they plan to introduce more patrons to warlock?
Assuming they deliver on "everything PHB" promise, we are missing on the Archfey, and the Great Old One having any actual features.

Next update are the cringe-barians anyway.
You force me to unleash ERYFKRAD upon you.
Barbarians and Paladins are bros, at least he isn't a casterfag.
Sorry chief. I am. I'm a gish supremacist. There's nothing better in life than Warlock with a Greatsword casting Darkness and smacking everyone within it.

Delterius

Arcane
Assuming they deliver on "everything PHB" promise, we are missing on the Archfey, and the Great Old One having any actual features.
so those are the three PHB options, demon - archfey - squid? interesting contrast

kinda wanna play a warlock but i got the feeling this will be like playing a shaman in shadowrun. the companion will get custom tailored content and you're his npc.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Or they could homebrew the Eldritch Tentacle Barrel.

Jokes aside, DDO Warlock initially had only the Fey, GOO and Fiend. But they added Celestial, Abyssal and Carceri Storm warlock. Outside of PHB, I wanna see the Fathomless pact and hope that they will include something similar in a DLC >> http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/warlock:fathomless

But before I play BG3, I will wait till someone makes an spell fixes which makes the spells more akin to 3.5E

the companion will get custom tailored content and you're his npc.

Yep. I think that Wyll will get 99% of the WLK story content.

So far, my favorite class in this types of RPGs is the Pact Wizard(Winter) from PF:KM + Call of the Wild.

Slaver1

Savant

Larian achieves Le Humor, placating 95% of Early Access paypigs for the next 6-12 months while remaining remnants of Fourth Wall tumble into the ocean.

nintendo-switch-gif.26336

Slaver1

Savant

Larian achieves Le Humor, placating 95% of Early Access paypigs for the next 6-12 months while remaining remnants of Fourth Wall tumble into the ocean.

nintendo-switch-gif.26336

that's just standard voice acting for monster/animal noises and shit, what are you on about?

Every time there's an animal or ambient sound ingame we now know it's a funny guy in the studio making noises, destroying immersion.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What are warlocks like in 5e? I see they have some spell like abilities. Do they just use their eldritch blast and those?

They have very limited spell selection. If you played ad&d in a setting where getting an single spell scroll is extremely rare, magic users in ad&d are akin to wlk in 5e in spell variety. Their spell list is extremely limited and most offensive spells comes from the patron spells. So an fay wlk cant cast fireball, but an fiend wlk can.

Their greatest advantage is that they regain spells up to 5th tier in short rest. And since 5e has hp bloat and nerfed enemy abilities, almost no one plays pas lv 11 so you can expect all spells back in short rest.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane

Longes

Augur
so those are the three PHB options, demon - archfey - squid? interesting contrast

kinda wanna play a warlock but i got the feeling this will be like playing a shaman in shadowrun. the companion will get custom tailored content and you're his npc.
This is my general problem with Larian's approach in DOS2 and BG3. Like yes, you could play a custom warlock. Or you could play Will and get the actual Warlock content. Imagine playing a regular Undead in DOS2 instead of Fane. Just pointless. I wish they'd stop this "MC companion" shit

BruceVC

Magister
game lets you optionally play through a game as any of the companions, codexers cry and demand less content
I agree, its an illogical and utterly unconvincing criticism of D:OS2 or BG3. I like and support the NPC party system. It gives you a myriad of choices and you get to interact with interesting and compelling party members who have their own side-quests and events

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
game lets you optionally play through a game as any of the companions, codexers cry and demand less content

I agree, its an illogical and utterly unconvincing criticism of D:OS2 or BG3. I like and support the NPC party system. It gives you a myriad of choices and you get to interact with interesting and compelling party members who have their own side-quests and events

Non-companion PC's were visibly underprioritized to make room for the "play as one of these douches"-mode in D:OS. Lots of reactions to your background if you made one of those picks, almost none if you didn't. You saying it's not the same for BG3?

Codex Year of the Donut

Non-companion PC's were visibly underprioritized to make room for the "play as one of these douches"-mode in D:OS. Lots of reactions to your background if you made one of those picks, almost none if you didn't. You saying it's not the same for BG3?
That's weird considering D: OS didn't even have that mode.
Again, if the feature didn't exist you wouldn't complain. You're demanding less content.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
demand content which doesn't force you to play as an companion

Fixed for you. The problem is not less content. Is having to play as an diversity hire Wyll to experience all WLK content.

Again, if the feature didn't exist you wouldn't complain. You're demanding less content.

Or making all Wyll/Gale/Lae'Zel content available for all WLK/WIZ/CLE.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You don’t get it. While the NPCs get all the content, your character is a spectator nobody.

Codex Year of the Donut
"durr y larian no make custom content for my custom character I wrote like the characters they wrote???"
I want you guys to sit there and think about how stupid you are.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

That's weird considering D: OS didn't even have that mode.

obviously meant div: os2 lol I'm literally responding to a quote

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
rusty, do you imagine that resources aren't a thing? that developers just choose features and they pop up in the game at no opportunity cost?

reality must be a magical place for you

Codex Year of the Donut
omg I just used mercenaries in kingmaker and they didn't give my mercenaries unique content like the companions........

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom