Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Comparing main character to a mercenary = making our case for us better than we ever could

Codex Year of the Donut
rusty, do you imagine that resources aren't a thing? that developers just choose features and they pop up in the game at no opportunity cost?

reality must be a magical place for you
Have you ever considered why pre-written characters might have more content than your custom original character?
Think hard before replying!

Codex Year of the Donut

BruceVC

Magister
"durr y larian no make custom content for my custom character I wrote like the characters they wrote???"
I want you guys to sit there and think about how stupid you are.
Rusty is 100% correct

In most RPG, SP or party based, you create and influence your main character as you progress on the journey. You choose your class and race at the very least even with predefined characters , even the prestigious Gothic series offered that with class decision later on but it had a predefined character. And you can select specific items and how you RP your main character . Its already customized

Longes

Augur
game lets you optionally play through a game as any of the companions, codexers cry and demand less content
Dude, I'm not playing a 100 hour cRPG multiple times unless it's Wrath of the Righteous.

DOS2 isn't "optionally letting me play through a game as any of the companions". The game is optionally letting me play through a game as my original character Donut Steel, but it'd really much prefer if I was playing as their Donut Steel that they wrote real content for.

Codex Year of the Donut
game lets you optionally play through a game as any of the companions, codexers cry and demand less content
Dude, I'm not playing a 100 hour cRPG multiple times unless it's Wrath of the Righteous.

DOS2 isn't "optionally letting me play through a game as any of the companions". The game is optionally letting me play through a game as my original character Donut Steel, but it'd really much prefer if I was playing as their Donut Steel that they wrote real content for.
Again, "durrr y larian no write custom content for my character like their premade ones????"

Sit and think on this.

Longes

Augur
Wow, it's almost like there's a simple solution of "write companions as companions" instead of doubling down on every companion's writing by writing them as both companions and MC depending on a chargen choice.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
rusty, do you imagine that resources aren't a thing? that developers just choose features and they pop up in the game at no opportunity cost?

Have you ever considered why pre-written characters might have more content than your custom original character?
Have you ever considered a quality of content for your custom character is actually what a RPG is all about?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Have you ever considered a quality of content for your custom character is actually what a RPG is all about?

That is the foundation of the RPGs, creating and perfecting characters took more time then our sessions most of the time.

Codex Year of the Donut

Have you ever considered that having predefined characters you can play as does not detract from the rest of the game?
"oh no content I don't personally like, it cut immediately!"

That is the foundation of the RPGs,
Every d&d adventure until ~3E D&D came with pregen characters. Weird how the 'foundation' didn't actually exist until well after RPGs became popular.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Larian allowing me to optionally play the game as a companion is bad because I want less content

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost
Opportunity cost of what? Taking a companion that was going to be fully written to begin with and letting you play it?
Or are you angry that it requires integrating companions further into the story and you demand a worse story?
I want a game to be centered on my custom character, acknowledging its presence in the world, defining the storytelling based on its choices. No problem if the NPCs are packed with content, just gimme the same amount of reactivity.

Codex Year of the Donut
Larian allowing me to optionally play the game as a companion is bad because I want less content

Opportunity cost of what? Taking a companion that was going to be fully written to begin with and letting you play it?
Or are you angry that it requires integrating companions further into the story and you demand a worse story?
I want a game to be centered on my custom character, acknowledging its presence in the world, defining the storytelling based on its choices. No problem if the NPCs are packed with content, just gimme the same amount of reactivity.
You will NEVER get the same reactivity as a premade character. Why is this so fucking hard to understand?
You're looking at a premade and saying "wow I wish I had that reactivity", but if they didn't exist you wouldn't even be complaining despite zero change to custom characters.

Codex Year of the Donut
Guys I'm having Vietnam war flashbacks of playing the slave lord modules for AD&D and they included content specifically for pregens. It was awful, I'm literally shaking rn.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

You will NEVER get the same reactivity as a premade character. Why is this so fucking hard to understand?
You're looking at a premade and saying "wow I wish I had that reactivity", but if they didn't exist you wouldn't even be complaining despite zero change to custom characters.
And yet somehow I don’t feel robbed playing Fallout 1 and Baldur’s Gate, while I can’t get rid of this feeling in the Larian’s BG3, where the custom character feels almost non-existent.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"More content.... Bad!"

Correction. More content which forces to play as an character that I have no interest in playing at the expense of other content = bad.

Every d&d adventure until ~3E D&D came with pregen characters. Weird how the 'foundation' didn't actually exist until well after RPGs became popular.

But not with dozens of hours of content, only for pregen characters. And many 3.5E games do have premade chars, mainly NWN1/2.

and they included content specifically for pregens

The DM can adapt it for the party. And D&D in P&P is more about the group and doesn't have an main character.

Codex Year of the Donut

And yet somehow I don’t feel robbed playing Fallout 1 and Baldur’s Gate, while I can’t get rid of this feeling in the Larian’s BG3, where the custom character feels almost non-existent.
That's weird considering you can't play as a non-custom character unless you use mods, and most of the companion content isn't in the EA builds.

You wouldn't be lying, would you?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Guys how come Geralt has more personal story content than the main character of Fallout??? I don't get it.
Witcher is not a RPG.
Neither is Fallout 4, Rustie.
What about baldurs gate where you're playing a premade character you get to minorly customize? Is that an RPG?
How is it a premade though? A charname’s unique inheritance in the BG is a story driver. Other than this anyone is able to customize it as much as the chargen menu allows. If changing race, sex, physical attributes, skills, etc. are minor customization options, what are the major then?

Codex Year of the Donut
Guys how come Geralt has more personal story content than the main character of Fallout??? I don't get it.
Witcher is not a RPG.
Neither is Fallout 4, Rustie.
What about baldurs gate where you're playing a premade character you get to minorly customize? Is that an RPG?
How is it a premade though? A charname’s unique inheritance in the BG is a story driver. Other than this anyone is able to customize it as much as the chargen menu allows. If changing race, sex, physical attributes, skills, etc. are minor customization options, what are the major then?
The entire story for your character is predefined with no way to change it. You being a human or dwarf changed nothing and adds zero reactivity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom