Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access - next Panel From Hell on July 7th

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

BruceVC

Magister
Swen: No. Suffer

Wall so far nothing as put me off being excited and buying BG3 on full release

What are your main issues with the game, just summarize and dont go into details?

jackofshadows

Magister
What are your main issues with the game, just summarize and dont go into details?
- Theme-parky approach to the game map; too many shit cramped in closely together. Especially silly looking when you have the same "portals everywhere" design as in D:OS games. That said, Underdark looks great so far.

- Still to this point as far as I know too many barrels around.

- No day/night cycle. Nuff said except it's a massive issue.

- "Evul" branch is retartet but it's been rewritten so we'll see.

- Concerns regarding frontloading. Enough of an issue in itself to delay the purchase.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
hat said, Underdark looks great so far.

What?

So far, this is the WORST underdark in any vydia. I saw underdark in Menzoberranzan, BG2:SoA, DDO, NWN:Hordes of the Underdark, Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager and honestly, Larian is the FIRST video game developer to manage to make Underdark boring.

jackofshadows

Magister
hat said, Underdark looks great so far.

What?

So far, this is the WORST underdark in any vydia. I saw underdark in Menzoberranzan, BG2:SoA, DDO, NWN:Hordes of the Underdark, Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager and honestly, Larian is the FIRST video game developer to manage to make Underdark boring.
I was saying mostly in the context of theme-parky surface. Underdark represent a huge coherent location as it should be. It also very curvy again as it should and has enough of points of interest to me but again, located sparsely enough.

What's your idea of non-boring Underdark then? Don't say for starters it should be 45-55 lvl location though please.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't say for starters it should be 45-55 lvl location though please.

Never said that. When I reached Menzoberranzan(city) in menzoberranzan(game), I was lv 10. In BG2:SoA, I reached underdark for the first time at lv 13. In Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager, I reached underdark at lv 13(talking about my main character). That is not exactly epic level. My point is simple. Underdark should't be in the beginning of a low level adventure. You only get access to underdark in CRPG's in late part of the adventures. Even Hordes of the Underdark, only at chapter 2, you are in underdark and the adventure starts at lv 15~20(new char~importing char).

You can make it a mid level adventure, in Menzoberranzan, you spend most of the time in the underdark disguised. In NWN1 - HotU you go "guns blazing" destroying everything in your path. What is ridiculous is having it in freaking chapter 1 of a extremely low level adventure and nothing more than a few spiders with ridiculous levels of hp bloat.

Larianshill

Arbiter
So, since there are no BG3 news anyway, might as well discuss literally anything else. For example, reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...ally_like_the_fact_that_we_will_get_a_voiced/

This is a reddit thread praising BG3's voiced protagonist - a little bit odd, the protagonist is not and will not be voiced. There is otherwise literally nothing special about this thread or this opinion, just another fart in the void.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

This is literally the same thread, word for word, made by a different user a year ago. Why? But I ask again, why?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Take the Chalice 2 route. Make all the voice sets voiced by a sexy female. Problem solved! If I'm going to play a game for hundreds of hours, I'd rather listen to a female speak sweet nothings in my ear than some gruffy male.

Diablo1_reborn

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Take the Chalice 2 route. Make all the voice sets voiced by a sexy female. Problem solved! If I'm going to play a game for hundreds of hours, I'd rather listen to a female speak sweet nothings in my ear than some gruffy male.

I actually want to play as Xzar in my first playthrough, so I need an option to use his voice sets.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Voiced protag needs to go.

Agreed. The entire standard of everything being fully voice acted is bringing decline to the genre.

The exception is for dungeon crawlers with little to no player agency.

Harthwain

Magister
Take the Chalice 2 route. Make all the voice sets voiced by a sexy female. Problem solved!
Problem is in finding a sexy female voice. Otherwise you can end up with a boring female voice.

If I'm going to play a game for hundreds of hours, I'd rather listen to a female speak sweet nothings in my ear than some gruffy male.
The gruffy male voice is a safer choice. At least in my experience.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Voiced protag needs to go.

Agreed. The entire standard of everything being fully voice acted is bringing decline to the genre.

The exception is for dungeon crawlers with little to no player agency.

I think it's nice to have full VO in key or climactic scenes. I wouldn't want CRPGs to ditch that entirely, now that it's semi-standard. But for the most part, written dialogue and response barks is quite sufficient. Interesting quests with thoughtful C&C should be the top priority, and I should imagine the organization, time and expense that's necessary around full VO severely hampers devs' ability to chop and change quests till they get them just right.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
you honestly think writing nowadays would be better if it wasn't voiced? lol

The problem with fully voice acting is that each new line of dialog increases the price of developing the game a lot. Arcanum tier 2 necromancy spell allow you to talk with countless of deceased people and even solve quests in a unique way. No one would voice act thousands of dialog lines for a option which only players who plays as a necromancer would be listening to. Thanks to consoles and the expectation of fully voice acting, we are getting worse and less varied dialogs.

Diablo1_reborn

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

The problem with fully voice acting is that each new line of dialog increases the price of developing the game a lot. Arcanum tier 2 necromancy spell allow you to talk with countless of deceased people and even solve quests in a unique way. No one would voice act thousands of dialog lines for a option which only players who plays as a necromancer would be listening to. Thanks to consoles and the expectation of fully voice acting, we are getting worse and less varied dialogs.

Well, Larian kinda did with Original Sin 1 and 2. But I agree otherwise.

Harthwain

Magister
The gruffy male voice is a safer choice.
Nah. That sounds ghey.
I doubt you have heard a real chocolate salesman if you think any gruffy male voice is "ghey":

gk1-gabriel.png

0sacred

Learned
Patron

so your point is Arcanum level dialogue would be done today if it wasn't for voice acting. Which is probably not true. That was my point

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
so your point is Arcanum level dialogue would be done today if it wasn't for voice acting. Which is probably not true. That was my point

A indie company could do it. Now, a game like Arcanum would cause massive butthurt and be considered antisemitic, racist, fascist, nazist(....)Just like Morrowind, we will never get to see a Morrowind faithful remake cuz just imagine SJW's that complain about orcs in D&D seeing Breton with 50 INT(About IQ = 100 IRL) and Redguards with 30 INT(about IQ = 60 IRL).

But we don't need to talk about Arcanum level of goodness. Imagine a small Serb team wanting to make a game like UnderRail. Now imagine that they are expected to have fully voice acting...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom