Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Herumor

Scholar
Patch 8 is drawing near, and it’s going to be roughly 40GB (so make sure you have space free!), bringing the total install size for Baldur’s Gate 3 to approximately 104GB.
What kind of patch is 40GB? And if just the first chapter of the game is 104GB, how much more will the final version need? Seriously, do they just intend to cram the first chapter full of content, while others are just locations you pass through more quickly?

Jaska

Novice
Patch 8 is drawing near, and it’s going to be roughly 40GB (so make sure you have space free!), bringing the total install size for Baldur’s Gate 3 to approximately 104GB.
What kind of patch is 40GB? And if just the first chapter of the game is 104GB, how much more will the final version need? Seriously, do they just intend to cram the first chapter full of content, while others are just locations you pass through more quickly?
It's not 40gb of new content, it's just the patch size is 40gb, due to how patching works.

DisfiguredGraveEgg-max-1mb.gif

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What kind of patch is 40GB? And if just the first chapter of the game is 104GB, how much more will the final version need?
7 Terabytes. Time to invest in new storage devices.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Meming aside, is this game going to be released?
Or it really fell into some development chaos?
As far as I know the last thing we heard was them saying they had around one year left of development. This was some time around February (I think) this year, so you would assume the game would be released in Q1 or Q2 of 2023.
Maybe they'll talk about it in the livestream later this week?

jackofshadows

Magister
These "updates" tell us pretty much nothing regarding the actual development progress. I don't think the game will be canceled but there might be more and more delays ahead.

These "updates" tell us pretty much nothing regarding the actual development progress. I don't think the game will be canceled but there might be more and more delays ahead.
I doubt it. I'd be extremely surprised if this goes past Q2 2023 and I see Q3 2023 as the upper limit.

If anything what worries me is not if "the game will be finished/released", but in what state. While Infinitron is not wrong about the fact that the game has been updated with reasonable regularity so far, one could argue that the rate of improvements between patches has been exceedingly slow.
Frankly when they launched EA almost two years ago I was pretty much expecting to get the core classes in the first 6-8 months and spend the rest of Early Access experiencing changes and tweaks on fancier stuff.

What we got so far, on the other hand, are HALF of the missing base classes at launch, no additional race whatsoever, no increase in the level cap (which would be more forgivable if the EA didn't double in length compared to the initial projection).
What's more? Ah, right, their begrudging commitment to revert some of the horrendous homebrew they had the unfortunate idea to introduce to begin with.
That's pretty much it, really.

Still a lot of feedback about crucial issues in the game (UI, controls, inventory management) poorly addressed, when not even completely unaddressed.
Honestly I'm also getting the vibe that a lot of things they promised at the start of EA (like a better dialogue UI that would take in consideration the entire party rather than the character who started it) are going to be silently canned because they are struggling to get shit done.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It’s a 58th reminder that the EA build doesn’t reflect the state of the main build nor does it have a goal of adding a new content.

It’s a 58th reminder that the EA build doesn’t reflect the state of the main build nor does it have a goal of adding a new content.
That doesn't make things particularly better, even assuming the best case scenario.

"Oh, we actually fixed a lot of the things you people complained about in the last two years. We just aren't telling you because it's fucking hysterical to have you all suffering".

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm going to have to side with Tuco here. They reverted things like cantrip surfaces or free disengages, by which they showed us they're listening and implementing things that are being complained about. If they're treating us with total radio silence on other things, it sends a bit of a different message.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom