Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

somerandomdude

Learned
And let's ignore the fact that I simply like having unexpected choices like this
Out of curiosity: is slapping a woman is already a taboo in western media? I can remember it wasn’t like 20 years ago with men usually slapping back without any particular remorse.

It's a little more complicated than that, because there's differing reasons for it being viewed as taboo depending on which type of values one subscribes to.

#1 - Now, it's bad for men to assert any dominance over women at all, because it's seen as patriarchal, and misogynistic. Whether it's a slap, or mansplaining, or even casual micro-aggressions perceived as such, I.E. toxic masculinity.
#2 - But on the other hand there's still the old school values where men shouldn't hit women because they're the fairer sex, and should be treated as if they're babies. The old school white knight philosophy of coddling women.

Pick your group whether it's the liberal woke mobsters or old school cuckservative values that no longer really applies in this day and age.

And some of the ones here are right to suspect that I purposely threw that out, I did it just to test the waters, just to see how based this forums was. Overall, I still think the forums is pretty based, just that there's a few snowflakes around for sure.

Anyway I'm done with the games/testing the waters.

I actually bought BG2 EE on epic store (I had a discount coupon). I'm hugely skeptical of 3, because it's a new game, not a remaster of a classic that I know is good.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
And let's ignore the fact that I simply like having unexpected choices like this
Out of curiosity: is slapping a woman is already a taboo in western media? I can remember it wasn’t like 20 years ago with men usually slapping back without any particular remorse.

w3OqDh.gif

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Sounds like a fake account to me. I mean, praising Pillars of Eternity(!) simply because there was an option to "backhand a woman" and nothing else? From an account made last Thursday and named "somerandomdude"? Yeah, I smell a fish here.

Newfag has opinions you don't like = fake account. *yawns*

Pardon me for not being a white knight. I admittedly find it extremely banal to be expected to be some sorta bastion of humanity in these types of games, so when I get unexpected choices, such as the option of slapping a woman! That actually makes things more interesting.

Pillars was still a cut above most of the newer cRPGs we're getting, the graphics/art style was decent, the combat was what you'd expect out of a game like this, and you had the freedom to be a total douche if you wanted to with "choices", which some people like having.

Divinity Original Sin's only redeeming quality was maybe the combat (not really cRPG), but it would have been better as some sorta team-based Diablo-clone dungeon spelunking game than a cRPG.

For the record, I decided to register here after someone posted a link to this forums on Grimoire's steam section. I was like, that looks like a cool place where people can actually share an opinion without getting totally censored. But, that doesn't mean that sharing an opinion won't irritate some people, which I somehow manage to do without even really trying, so maybe I'm just a natural at this?
Is this Victor's troll account?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds like a fake account to me. I mean, praising Pillars of Eternity(!) simply because there was an option to "backhand a woman" and nothing else? From an account made last Thursday and named "somerandomdude"? Yeah, I smell a fish here.

Newfag has opinions you don't like = fake account. *yawns*

Pardon me for not being a white knight. I admittedly find it extremely banal to be expected to be some sorta bastion of humanity in these types of games, so when I get unexpected choices, such as the option of slapping a woman! That actually makes things more interesting.

Pillars was still a cut above most of the newer cRPGs we're getting, the graphics/art style was decent, the combat was what you'd expect out of a game like this, and you had the freedom to be a total douche if you wanted to with "choices", which some people like having.

Divinity Original Sin's only redeeming quality was maybe the combat (not really cRPG), but it would have been better as some sorta team-based Diablo-clone dungeon spelunking game than a cRPG.

For the record, I decided to register here after someone posted a link to this forums on Grimoire's steam section. I was like, that looks like a cool place where people can actually share an opinion without getting totally censored. But, that doesn't mean that sharing an opinion won't irritate some people, which I somehow manage to do without even really trying, so maybe I'm just a natural at this?
Is this Victor's troll account?

Grammar is too coherent. Victor would never use a word like "banal"

Salvo

Arcane
Sad how all the discussion ITT is about something other than the game btw, Swen needs to get his shit together

Larianshill

Arbiter
We should get some new content in June, there'll be finally something worth discussing again. But truth be told, some of the most active posters in this thread didn't play the game and have no intention of playing the game.

Salvo

Arcane
We should get some new content in June, there'll be finally something worth discussing again. But truth be told, some of the most active posters in this thread didn't play the game and have no intention of playing the game.
Absolute cope

Harthwain

Magister
That came out of nowhere, what the fuck...
I made a point to cut short the bullshit about white knighting, because I am not a white knight either.

Since you want to express such seething butt rage over a simple comment about me enjoying an aspect of a game you don't agree with [...]
:what:

"Seething butt rage"? What could I possibly rage about? All I did was question your legitimacy by agreeing with another poster that something is fishy about you. As for the Pillars of Eternity itself - I found it to be too boring to hate it.

I think you're gay, because you slapped a woman who was looking to give you some, and you're suggesting I'm the one with women issues? LMAO.
Are you into ugly fat bitches? Or just an incel who imagines that any kind of attention from anything that can be nominally called a woman must be a dream come true? I do not know like you, but I had enough attention from girls (including nice and cute ones) to be able to develop more discerning taste and have standards for my partners.

I'm not the one focusing on that specific detail, you are. I elaborated my opinion on the game more broadly, but you ignore that and keep going back to that one thing that apparently triggered you.
Uh-huh...:
I'll just use one example, I got busted by a maid when breaking into this rich guy's house, and I had several options, one of them was to knock her out, and my character walked up and backhanded the maid and KO'd her, and there was a hilarious scream associated with it.

Well, in a day and age where nearly everyone seems to be going out of their way to not offend the woke crowd, I had the option of backhanding a female in Pillars of Eternity. We just don't typically get to do stuff like that in games. It's been years since I played that game, and being able to make a choice like that at least made the game memorable. I don't remember anything about the actual story, but I do remember having the option of backhanding a maid. So, maybe some of you have a point that the story wasn't all that great, or I'd have remembered more about it.

I at least played through Pillars of Eternity and found one thing memorable about a choice I made, which is more than can be said for most games.

And yes I have opinions which are controversial, such as I'm in agreement with Sean Connery's original opinion when it comes to slapping women.
It's not that your opinion is controversial. It's that you decided to start your presence on the Codex with something like that. This is somewhere between "Not sure if serious" and "WTF". And the main reason why it feels like you're some kind of spy placed on the Codex by the wookies. "Hello, fellow Codexers, I am a human, just like you! Let's slap some women together!". Yes, this is perfectly normal!

If you don't like it, I don't care.
It's not that I don't like it. I don't even care about it. I just find this beginning of your Codex career to be too suspicious to be genuine is all.

So what was next? Did she get angry, did she proceed touching you?
Not much. She was shocked that I actually snapped and slapped her (as I warned her would happen eventually), but the hit was more of an instant reflex and the blow wasn't hard, and she was literally asking for it with her behaviour (after being told not to break my personal space mutliple times, as well as making her last act in public). Before that happened I did tell everyone about my situation, trying to get the matter settled somehow via other channels (since the bitch wasn't likely to stop on her own). Ultimately nobody really did anything, not surprisingly, but because they were all aware of the situation I was in when the actual slapping happened everybody was OK-ish and understanding to me. The bitch herself had to pretend like she was fine with doing nothing as she had no leg to stand on, figuratively speaking.

Sarathiour

Cipher
How the fuck is it relevant to anything ? Heck, you can even punch Irabeth in wrath, and we all know where does the game fall on the progressive scale.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah that's great and all but lets not forget that Monk is still an awesome class. I mean. You have to be manly as fuck to fight the forces of evil naked with no magical equipment, no abilities, and only your fists. Such heroism puts both Barbarians and Mages to shame. Look at those wimpy barbarians having to use "magical" weapons.

*laughs in monk*

Salvo

Arcane
Yeah that's great and all but lets not forget that Monk is still an awesome class. I mean. You have to be manly as fuck to fight the forces of evil naked with no magical equipment, no abilities, and only your fists. Such heroism puts both Barbarians and Mages to shame. Look at those wimpy barbarians having to use "magical" weapons.

*laughs in monk*
Not only does monk suck, your waifu does too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom