Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Voiced protag needs to go.

Agreed. The entire standard of everything being fully voice acted is bringing decline to the genre.

The exception is for dungeon crawlers with little to no player agency.

Harthwain

Magister
Take the Chalice 2 route. Make all the voice sets voiced by a sexy female. Problem solved!
Problem is in finding a sexy female voice. Otherwise you can end up with a boring female voice.

If I'm going to play a game for hundreds of hours, I'd rather listen to a female speak sweet nothings in my ear than some gruffy male.
The gruffy male voice is a safer choice. At least in my experience.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Agreed. The entire standard of everything being fully voice acted is bringing decline to the genre.

I think it's nice to have full VO in key or climactic scenes. I wouldn't want CRPGs to ditch that entirely, now that it's semi-standard. But for the most part, written dialogue and response barks is quite sufficient. Interesting quests with thoughtful C&C should be the top priority, and I should imagine the organization, time and expense that's necessary around full VO severely hampers devs' ability to chop and change quests till they get them just right.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
you honestly think writing nowadays would be better if it wasn't voiced? lol

The problem with fully voice acting is that each new line of dialog increases the price of developing the game a lot. Arcanum tier 2 necromancy spell allow you to talk with countless of deceased people and even solve quests in a unique way. No one would voice act thousands of dialog lines for a option which only players who plays as a necromancer would be listening to. Thanks to consoles and the expectation of fully voice acting, we are getting worse and less varied dialogs.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

The problem with fully voice acting is that each new line of dialog increases the price of developing the game a lot. Arcanum tier 2 necromancy spell allow you to talk with countless of deceased people and even solve quests in a unique way. No one would voice act thousands of dialog lines for a option which only players who plays as a necromancer would be listening to. Thanks to consoles and the expectation of fully voice acting, we are getting worse and less varied dialogs.

Well, Larian kinda did with Original Sin 1 and 2. But I agree otherwise.

Harthwain

Magister
The gruffy male voice is a safer choice.
Nah. That sounds ghey.
I doubt you have heard a real chocolate salesman if you think any gruffy male voice is "ghey":

gk1-gabriel.png

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

so your point is Arcanum level dialogue would be done today if it wasn't for voice acting. Which is probably not true. That was my point

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
so your point is Arcanum level dialogue would be done today if it wasn't for voice acting. Which is probably not true. That was my point

A indie company could do it. Now, a game like Arcanum would cause massive butthurt and be considered antisemitic, racist, fascist, nazist(....)Just like Morrowind, we will never get to see a Morrowind faithful remake cuz just imagine SJW's that complain about orcs in D&D seeing Breton with 50 INT(About IQ = 100 IRL) and Redguards with 30 INT(about IQ = 60 IRL).

But we don't need to talk about Arcanum level of goodness. Imagine a small Serb team wanting to make a game like UnderRail. Now imagine that they are expected to have fully voice acting...

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

A indie company could do it. Now, a game like Arcanum would cause massive butthurt and be considered antisemitic, racist, fascist, nazist(....)Just like Morrowind, we will never get to see a Morrowind faithful remake cuz just imagine SJW's that complain about orcs in D&D seeing Breton with 50 INT(About IQ = 100 IRL) and Redguards with 30 INT(about IQ = 60 IRL).

But we don't need to talk about Arcanum level of goodness. Imagine a small Serb team wanting to make a game like UnderRail. Now imagine that they are expected to have fully voice acting...

except no one expects full VO in an indie game

vibehunter

Learned

Not necessarily, but opting out of voice acting helps create the opportunity for richer and more expansive dialogue. Of course, whether this opportunity is properly taken advantage of and well-executed still depends on the skill of the writing team.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Not necessarily, but opting out of voice acting helps create the opportunity for richer and more expansive dialogue. Of course, whether this opportunity is properly taken advantage of and well-executed still depends on the skill of the writing team.
You want less Larian dialogue, not more.

BruceVC

Magister
who cares about dialogues
Dialogue is critical to party interaction and participating in companion side quests. Its also intrinsically part of all Romance arcs

But I dont mind or care about full voice, thats cosmetic to me. Just some voice is nice like in BG2 but what is much more important are the dialogue options and outcomes and how they influence the game

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It is a Larian game. The dialog uis meaningless. FFS, BG1 which has basic straight to the point writing and doesn't really have dialogue checks had more depth and ud more iterating than Larian or most video game writing. Even with retartet Minsc.

BruceVC

Magister
It is a Larian game. The dialog uis meaningless. FFS, BG1 which has basic straight to the point writing and doesn't really have dialogue checks had more depth and ud more iterating than Larian or most video game writing. Even with retartet Minsc.
Volo do you have any links to confirm the veracity of your views

I dont remember anything terrible about the dialogue in D:OS2, it was fine?

BruceVC

Magister
Dialogue is critical to party interaction and participating in companion side quests. Its also intrinsically part of all Romance arcs
Who cares about companion side quests and romance arcs. I ain't reading this shit.

So forget Romance arcs, are you telling me that you dont interact with your party members or have any interest in their stories and who they are?

Sunri

Liturgist
Who cares about companion side quests and romance arcs. I ain't reading this shit.

So forget Romance arcs, are you telling me that you dont interact with your party members or have any interest in their stories and who they are?

He only plays with himself.

BruceVC

Magister
any interest in their stories and who they are?
no. why should i care? "let's go kill some fags" "sure" - that's enough for me.
Great question, " why should I care " ?

Its because party interaction is part of the overall RP aspect of the game and the journey. This doesnt apply to action RPG but it does apply to RPG where the design and mechanics incorporate this

So interaction with your party is important because its part of RP. The dialogue options adds more depth and substance to the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom