Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
So interaction with your party is important because its part of RP.
we interact in combat. someone heals others, someone buffs - that's enough. me not rp emotional support dog.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
any interest in their stories and who they are?
no. why should i care? "let's go kill some fags" "sure" - that's enough for me.

That's just a tactical RPG then (which is fine as a genre too). But the CRPG proper became a thing because it blends tactical gameplay with a story (with some kind of at least semi-interesting writing) and character interaction/development.

I maintain that the proper definition of a CRPG (inasmuch as a definition can be given or is at all useful) is an adventure simulator. It's an ideal that works on both an intellectual and emotional level, so that you have not only intellectual engagement in the gameplay, but also some degree of emotional immersion in the virtual world, story and characters, with the result that the game is more engrossing and addictive than either alone would be.

BruceVC

Magister

That's just a tactical RPG then (which is fine as a genre too). But the CRPG proper became a thing because it blends tactical gameplay with a story (with some kind of at least semi-interesting writing) and character interaction/development.

I maintain that the proper definition of a CRPG (inasmuch as a definition can be given or is at all useful) is an adventure simulator. It's an ideal that works on both an intellectual and emotional level, so that you have not only intellectual engagement in the gameplay, but also some degree of emotional immersion in the virtual world, story and characters, with the result that the game is more engrossing and addictive than either alone would be.
This is a complex definition but I agree, do you include Romance in that definition because I consider it emotionally immersive and realistic as part of any party based RPG

If you were on quest to save the world from eternal darkness and you spent many nights around a campfire with the likes of the beautiful and seductive Isabella or Viconia why would you not have a romantic relationship with them? Especially knowing tomorrow could be your last day?

I have always maintained that optional Romance should be included where reasonable in every RPG that has an objective of realism and immersive design

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

This is a complex definition but I agree, do you include Romance in that definition because I consider it emotionally immersive and realistic as part of any party based RPG

If you were on quest to save the world from eternal darkness and you spent many nights around a campfire with the likes of the beautiful and seductive Isabella or Viconia why would you not have a romantic relationship with them? Especially knowing tomorrow could be your last day?

I have always maintained that optional Romance should be included where reasonable in every RPG that has an objective of realism and immersive design

It all depends on how well it's done. If it's not done well, or it's an opportunity for a Teaching Moment or whatever, then it's a waste of time. The romances in BG2 were mostly ok, and the concept of romance did add some depth, but it's been badly handled ever since (maybe some of the romances in DAO were ok too, thinking of the campfire thing, with that lovely music).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't get why so many people care about romances so much. It is completely dissociated from the gameplay almost every single case. There are few exceptions like Mount & Blade, where marrying gives right to rule, affects the relationship with your wive's family and her kingdom/town among other things. Other example is Heather Poe which affects a bit the late parts of the game, but she is more like a blood doll/slave/ghoul than a proper romance option.

Would be interesting if for example in a Ravenloft : Strahd possession, romancing the obcession of Stahd, Tatyana had terrible consequences in the game, with Strahd becoming completely furious, or if sleeping with a succubus could gradually make you enslaved by her and she will demand something atrocious and more sex you had with her makes more difficulty to break her domination spell.

Sunri

Liturgist
I don't get why so many people care about romances so much. It is completely dissociated from the gameplay almost every single case. There are few exceptions like Mount & Blade, where marrying gives right to rule, affects the relationship with your wive's family and her kingdom/town among other things. Other example is Heather Poe which affects a bit the late parts of the game, but she is more like a blood doll/slave/ghoul than a proper romance option.

Would be interesting if for example in a Ravenloft : Strahd possession, romancing the obcession of Stahd, Tatyana had terrible consequences in the game, with Strahd becoming completely furious, or if sleeping with a succubus could gradually make you enslaved by her and she will demand something atrocious and more sex you had with her makes more difficulty to break her domination spell.
That would be cool, but I'm happy with sex scenes anyway.

BruceVC

Magister

Great idea for a Succubus type Romance, do you have party interaction and Romance in Ravenloft? I want to play this game

But to answer your first question and I can only speak on behalf of myself. Romance is not that important, its just an aspect of party interaction and companion side quests. These mechanics are more important than Romance but Romance adds additional levels of realism and RP entertainment

Herumor

Scholar
I don't get why so many people care about romances so much.
About the only kind of romance I'd say I liked was Nameless One and Fall-From-Grace. It's not in your face, it doesn't have sex or kissing scenes. It just goes by slowly and you can even miss it. But the ending of the game perfectly showcases it in the form of the following exchange:

"So you have found yourself at last?"
YES. THE PRICE WAS... HIGH. THE COST WAS MANY LIFETIMES, MINE AND OTHERS.
"The price of such a thing is seldom measured in copper. Are you still -"
I AM STILL THE ONE YOU KNOW - BUT MY PERSPECTIVE HAS... CHANGED. I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOU, IF THAT IS YOUR FEAR.
"No, that was not my fear."
I CANNOT REMAIN HERE FOR MUCH LONGER. MY PUNISHMENT CALLS, AND FATE AND TIME SHALL SOON BE HERE. I WILL RETURN YOU TO SIGIL, IF YOU WISH.
"That is not my wish. I *will* find you again, no matter where in the Lower Planes you will be - just as you shall be able to find me."
IT MAY BE A LONG TIME. WHERE I AM BOUND, TIME IS NOT MEASURED IN YEARS. AND THE CRIMES I HAVE COMMITTED ARE STRONGER THAN ANY CAGE.
"No cage shall separate us, and no Plane shall divide us. Keep thinking of me, and we shall meet again."
I SHALL NOT FORGET ALL YOU SACRIFICED FOR ME.
"Just do not forget me."
TIME LAYS WASTE TO ALL THINGS. BUT I SHALL FIGHT IT AS LONG AS I CAN.
"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

BruceVC

Magister
I don't get why so many people care about romances so much.
About the only kind of romance I'd say I liked was Nameless One and Fall-From-Grace. It's not in your face, it doesn't have sex or kissing scenes. It just goes by slowly and you can even miss it. But the ending of the game perfectly showcases it in the form of the following exchange:

"So you have found yourself at last?"
YES. THE PRICE WAS... HIGH. THE COST WAS MANY LIFETIMES, MINE AND OTHERS.
"The price of such a thing is seldom measured in copper. Are you still -"
I AM STILL THE ONE YOU KNOW - BUT MY PERSPECTIVE HAS... CHANGED. I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOU, IF THAT IS YOUR FEAR.
"No, that was not my fear."
I CANNOT REMAIN HERE FOR MUCH LONGER. MY PUNISHMENT CALLS, AND FATE AND TIME SHALL SOON BE HERE. I WILL RETURN YOU TO SIGIL, IF YOU WISH.
"That is not my wish. I *will* find you again, no matter where in the Lower Planes you will be - just as you shall be able to find me."
IT MAY BE A LONG TIME. WHERE I AM BOUND, TIME IS NOT MEASURED IN YEARS. AND THE CRIMES I HAVE COMMITTED ARE STRONGER THAN ANY CAGE.
"No cage shall separate us, and no Plane shall divide us. Keep thinking of me, and we shall meet again."
I SHALL NOT FORGET ALL YOU SACRIFICED FOR ME.
"Just do not forget me."
TIME LAYS WASTE TO ALL THINGS. BUT I SHALL FIGHT IT AS LONG AS I CAN.
"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

The Planescape Romance was great but it wasnt a " real " Romance because you didnt end up having physical relationship with Grace which was disappointing

FriendlyMerchant

this will revoultioinize videog ames. this and starfield. F A C T !!!
It just works
3GAUsnT.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
do you have party interaction and Romance in Ravenloft? I want to play this game

Nope. No romances, you create 2 characters with a Tarot style character creation screen and can recruit more two. You will gonna suffer a bit with controls but thrust me. Worth. The game is amazing. If you wanna start with Stone prophet or import a save from Strahd possession, I suggest creating at least an pure magic and a cleric. There are no pure mage companions in the 2nd game and if you multiclass, you will not gonna see 6th tier spells and believe on me, TRUE seeing, disintegrate and DEATH spell(circle of death in 3e) are amazing spells and will gonna save your life multiple times. Also, jump/fly is vital in the second game and not needing to use potions for it is great. Clerics are must have in both games, high tier undeads are as nasty as they where in 2E. They will inflict negative levels(if you don't have protection from negative plane) and turn undead is a must have in the castle, crypt and other areas.

PAladins are also quite great. IF you look into walktroughts to pass certain parts with hidden buttons, 90%+ will be playing as a Paladin.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
do you have party interaction and Romance in Ravenloft? I want to play this game

Nope. No romances, you create 2 characters with a Tarot style character creation screen and can recruit more two. You will gonna suffer a bit but thrust me. Worth. The game is amazing. If you wanna start with Stone prophet or import a save from Strahd possession, I suggest creating at least an pure magic and a cleric. There are no pure mage companions in the 2nd game and if you multiclass, you will not gonna see 6th tier spells and believe on me, TRUE seeing, disintegrate and DEATH spell(circle of death in 3e) are amazing spells and will gonna save your life multiple times. Also, jump/fly is vital in the second game and not needing to use potions for it is great. Clerics are must have in both games, high tier undeads are as nasty as they where in 2E. They will inflict negative levels(if you don't have protection from negative plane) and turn undead is a must have in the castle, crypt and other areas.

PAladins are also quite great. IF you look into walktroughts to pass certain parts with hidden buttons, 90%+ will be playing as a Paladin.

Thanks, I will get additional feedback from you and others about this game closer to the time I am going to play it. I have followed some of the CRPG debates you guys have had on these types of iconic games

I used to DM in AD&D for 12 years and Ravenloft, Greyhawk and FR were my favorite game worlds

But Ravenloft was great with the whole Gothic horror theme. Quest for Glory 4 reminds me of that type of design

Harthwain

Magister
I don't get why so many people care about romances so much. It is completely dissociated from the gameplay almost every single case.
Because the idea of romancing a hot girl has certain allure to it? And in a genre that's focused on relationships (party relationships in particular) romance is bound to focus a lot of interest? Especially in a single-player cRPG? That is focused around player's choices? The real issue is not the existence of romances as such, but how they are handled - it's better not to have them than have them done poorly.

The Planescape Romance was great but it wasnt a " real " Romance because you didnt end up having physical relationship with Grace which was disappointing
Romance =/= Sex.

Herumor

Scholar
Putting aside the fact that Fall-From-Grace is a succubus who could kill Nameless by just kissing him, romance in video game isn't meaningless just because you didn't get to see it all straight up.

Yea, that's why they're mo-capping sex scenes. To not show them later.
He's talking about Planescape: Torment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom