Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access - Patch 9 coming December

motherfucker

Educated
No, low level DnD is the best, where you have to be creative with your limited resources instead of relying on nuke spells and OP skills. This is why BG > BG2.
Consequentially, magic gets a lot more exciting. The first taste of magic you get in BG is the hired killer in Friendly Arm, and he will fuck you up if you're not prepared. Mages will keep being a challenge for some time, then you'll get better at fighting them, start going around thinking you're hot shit, then... Daevorn. My point is, in BG mages feel powerful and exciting, precisely because of low power level and overall scarcity, and in BG2 it gets a lot more mundane because it's so much more commonplace

Last edited:

Gradenmayer

Learned
High level 5e is like Original Sin 2 without armor system. Everyone has oneshots, and whoever wins the initiative roll also wins the fight.

Shrimp

Learned
Low level DnD is cringe. Has Larian announced any plans for the game to include content past the level 10 cap?
To my knowledge they originally said the level 10 cap was tentative and they haven't really elaborated any further on it since then.

Low level DnD is cringe. Has Larian announced any plans for the game to include content past the level 10 cap?
To my knowledge they originally said the level 10 cap was tentative and they haven't really elaborated any further on it since then.
More specifically, they said "cap wil be level 10" before the EA started, then few months later they said " Nevermind. Turns out we are making far more content that we originally predicted so it will be more".
And THEN they never elaborated any further.

The common guess seems to be something between level 12 and 14, but Larian never went back to the topic once.

Thonius

Arcane
Does anyone knows:
1)How many Acts are there gonna be in this game?
2)How many are playable in the current state?

This game perma-status as EA confuses me by how ahead or how behind things are with a finalized version of it

There are 3 Acts planned for the game.

In the current Early Access, only parts of Act 1 (and not all of it) is playable. I'd estimate 70%- 80% of Act 1 is in the game so far.

This, plus allegedly (at least according to Larian) Act 2 is supposed to be by far the meatiest part of the game and dwarf the other two in size.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Just starting up character creation and I'm already getting slapped with SJW shit. Default human is a nigger with nigger hair and the voice options are arranged so the male voices are odd numbers and female voices are even numbers (meaning you have to listen to a female voice before reaching voice #3.) Ugh.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Holy fuck, what is this outfit :lol: I want to play a musician, not a court jester.

fekAIB3.png

Rieser

Learned
This, plus allegedly (at least according to Larian) Act 2 is supposed to be by far the meatiest part of the game and dwarf the other two in size.
Has there been any mention where it will be set? Like in the actual Baldur's Gate city?
That's where you're headed in the game, with several quests ending with "we'll met again in Baldur's Gate" and such. I'd assume act 2 will be set there.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Holy fuck, what is this outfit :lol: I want to play a musician, not a court jester.

fekAIB3.png

I was hoping since they're going for a renaissance-era style of clothing rather than the middle ages that they would include some more understated, realistic versions of this (which has some of the basic elements already). Something prestigious like a neck ruff and breastplate over striped pantaloons and slashed, paned sleeves. The Witcher had some of that.

But noooo, instead it's ankle booties and a cravat.
rating_prosper.png

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
High level D&D is like Original Sin 2 without armor system. Everyone has oneshots, and whoever wins the initiative roll also wins the fight.
fixed

NO, you guys are both wrong.

High level 5E is exactly the opposite of "everyone has oneshots", Each new spell level once two levels increase the damage of spells by about 3.5 points while each CR that creatures grow up increases their hp by in average 23 points. If you look into Strahd 2E stats, as a 16th level necromancer, he din't had much hit points however, he required +3 weapons to be hit, had contingency, decent AC, lots of undead immunities, great saves and resistances and so on. Exactly the opposite of Strahd in 5E which is extremely weaker than the generic vampire but has a lot of hit points.

The control based spells which many people claim to be OP now require concentration and enemies in this level tends to have legendary resistances, meaning that you need to burn out their legendary resistance before you could affect then with such spells.

This while in 2E, a simple sleep spell could end an low level encounter before it even started. And in 3E, at merely lv 7, you get Phantasmal killer. Your first save or die spell. In mid to high levels, you will get Cloudkill, Flesh to Stone, Disintegrate, Circle of Death, Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee(...) all of this spells are either heavily nerfed or removed in 5E.

I played a lot of high level PvP in NWN1 and believe on me, was incredible fun.

Low level DnD is cringe.
No, low level DnD is the best, where you have to be creative with your limited resources instead of relying on nuke spells and OP skills. This is why BG > BG2.

BG2 is extremely better than BG1 and is not only due the higher xp cap. You can own your own stronghold, the quests are more interesting, investigating a strange sewer cult, dealing with strange shadows, visit other planes and so on.

The unique problem of high level D&D is that it trivializes iconic monsters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
off your meds again.

Go play your 4E. I was addressing the point that 3E and 2E where full of "one shots" at high level which is nonsense. There are lots of protections against "one shots" in high level.

A question, did you ever played BG1/2?

How this thread is relevant to the war with Ukraine? Will you spam rate my posts here too since you have no argument? As I've said, you can span rate every single post, this would't change the fact that your ideology being a failed ideology which only produced misery and tyranny in the world and that if that ideology is implemented in your country, you will be the first to flee.

Vatnik Wumao

Mojobeard

Augur
Keeps crashing for me in character creation.
And verifying file integrity sends you to the "Why did you uninstall BG3" page :lol:

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't know where the 80% figure comes from. We also have the Sharran Fortress and the Moonrise Towers. Both of those must be at least as big as Grymforge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom