Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Where's the passage to the underdark through the temple of Selune? I thought the temple was where you get your lich guy who resurrects people. But there's no passage there.
You go where Polma is, the bodyguard of the priestess I think. It's a separate area that you reach by interacting with an ornate door. You either kill Polma or not, get the book near the bed and go left IIRC. Solve the puzzle and that's it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Where's the passage to the underdark through the temple of Selune? I thought the temple was where you get your lich guy who resurrects people. But there's no passage there.
You go where Polma is, the bodyguard of the priestess I think. It's a separate area that you reach by interacting with an ornate door. You either kill Polma or not, get the book near the bed and go left IIRC. Solve the puzzle and that's it.
What's Polma? You basically told me nothing, I'm afraid.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Podcast interview with Swen: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ax...incke-on-baldurs-gate-3s-early-access-release

The interview starts at 26:19.

Larian founder Swen Vincke returns to the podcast to discuss the initial feedback on Baldur's Gate 3's early access release, turn-based vs. real-time with pause, dice rolls, and more! Plus, Kat and Nadia share their impressions on Genshin Impact, the Monster Hunter movie trailer, and more!

It's a positive thing to hear that they'll let give you options whether you want the ability checks to work on a dice, loaded dice or be deterministic. The fact that you can savescum through everything regardless of your stats is something I dislike.

Vatnik Wumao
Got to the druid camp and seeing the Tieflings not only being pathetic, but also acting unbecoming of their fiendish heritage makes the storyfag in me want to abandon this Tiefling playthrough.

So how do I ally the goblins instead? Do I need to be a Drow?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
What's Polma? You basically told me nothing, I'm afraid.
Get inside the goblin camp in the main building where the goblins that you have to assassinate are and look around for an ornate door, that's what it's called. Then you will see Polma.
Polma is the bodyguard. You'll see it, big one.

Bah

Arcane
Got to the druid camp and seeing the Tieflings not only being pathetic, but also acting unbecoming of their fiendish heritage makes the storyfag in me want to abandon this Tiefling playthrough.

I can't confirm that only a Drow can ally them, but the goblins immediately recognized my Drow and assumed I was with 'the absolute'. There might have been one deception/intimidate check involved, can't remember for sure.

Vatnik Wumao

I can't confirm that only a Drow can ally them, but the goblins immediately recognized my Drow and assumed I was with 'the absolute'. There might have been one deception/intimidate check involved, can't remember for sure.
Will the game treat my PC as if he's into femdom if I play as a male Drow? Don't want to have to restart again.

Bah

Arcane

Will the game treat my PC as if he's into femdom if I play as a male Drow? Don't want to have to restart again.

Haven't seen any indications of that with my Male drow.

Vatnik Wumao

Haven't seen any indications of that with my Male drow.
Might wait for the release of the Duergar race to side with the goblins though. I'm guessing that they'd be able to join the goblins as well since they are evil denizens of the Underdark akin to the Drows.

BarbequeMasta

Learned

Sharpedge

Prophet

Any race can join the goblin camp, provided you make some persuasion checks. Alternatively, if you tadpole all the dialogues you get in without any conflict. I got in with a High Elf.

Vatnik Wumao
:obviously: Since I've been reading the Forgotten Realms wiki articles for the different races of BG3, y'all can have a drawing of a Duergar king:
u0L9hPo.jpg

Edit: Fixed the image.

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
So what's the verdict?
It's much closer to "D:OS3" than to "BG3."
I liked it enough that I will revisit it when it's fully released, but not enough that I'll keep playing the EA. As far as 5e RPGs go, had more fun with the Solasta demo than with BG3 EA. I give it a score of a medium number out of a big number.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Podcast interview with Swen: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ax...incke-on-baldurs-gate-3s-early-access-release

The interview starts at 26:19.

Larian founder Swen Vincke returns to the podcast to discuss the initial feedback on Baldur's Gate 3's early access release, turn-based vs. real-time with pause, dice rolls, and more! Plus, Kat and Nadia share their impressions on Genshin Impact, the Monster Hunter movie trailer, and more!

It's a positive thing to hear that they'll let give you options whether you want the ability checks to work on a dice, loaded dice or be deterministic. The fact that you can savescum through everything regardless of your stats is something I dislike.

Seriously, as in you'll be able to swap between rolling against a DC or just meeting a static threshold?! Man, someone better check on Sawyer and take his shoelaces away... Honestly, if I understood you correctly I don't think I'm a fan of this either, it reeks of negligent balancing. If you're that worried about difficulty, just take the Baldur's Gate approach with the +6 loaded dice on Easy and call it a day.

On the other hand, if they're actually considering such sweeping mechanical changes in EA, can someone who's on their forums or reddit poke them about adding some proper rolls behind NPCs in Stealth? I know it's a long shot, but hell, why not throw it in there?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How much Larian haters bought BG3?

And will Larian implement concurrent turns? Only watched videos. The combat seems too slow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom