Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shinros

Learned
Godspeed. :salute:

Thanks, let's hope my eyes haven't deceive me. Anyway, my download is done. Now it's time to linger upon character creation.

Last edited:

Voids

Augur
Larian said:
Developers in 1998: Enjoy our CRPG that we worked tirelessly on - Please buy the sequel!

:takemymoney:

Developers in 2020: Enjoy our Early Access CRPG with Analytics Spyware Systems, which will let us know exactly how diverse your characters are, so we can shame you if we disapprove. Please buy the final product?

XJtaLx4.png
Am I the only one who didn't read it like that at all?
Sure, that's why the journos were butthurt, but it seemed like Larian just wanted people to play other races because it's EA and they want bugs to be reported.

Journos are basically paid to be butthurt, so yeah. Larian was just talking a little shit, not a big deal unless you're a sensitive type.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Larian said:
Developers in 1998: Enjoy our CRPG that we worked tirelessly on - Please buy the sequel!

Developers in 2020: Enjoy our Early Access CRPG with Analytics Spyware Systems, which will let us know exactly how diverse your characters are, so we can shame you if we disapprove. Please buy the final product?

XJtaLx4.png
Sure, that's why the journos were butthurt, but it seemed like Larian just wanted people to play other races because it's EA and they want bugs to be reported.

Oh how naive
:negative:

Codex Year of the Donut
Larian said:

XJtaLx4.png

Oh how naive
:negative:

What?
That's a larian dev flat out stating it was a joke?

Codex Year of the Donut
Still don't get it why they did not separate locations into self contained maps.
It'd probably halve the loading times and that would just be too good.
They already have multiple maps in the same area without loading times e.g., underdark is a self-contained map and has no loading times.
Divinity engine is probably my favorite engine used by RPGs. Has creation engine-level of detail with interactables, good performance, no loading screens outside of changes between acts, good mod support, good devkit, ...

Thonius

Arcane
Still don't get it why they did not separate locations into self contained maps.
It'd probably halve the loading times and that would just be too good.
They already have multiple maps in the same area without loading times e.g., underdark is a self-contained map and has no loading times.
Divinity engine is probably my favorite engine used by RPGs. Has creation engine-level of detail with interactables, good performance, no loading screens outside of changes between acts, good mod support, good devkit, ...
But it makes it so fucking cramped and gamey.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

One cool moment I never mentioned:

When you meet the githyanki, you can have Lae’zel tell them the truth or try to deceive them.

IIRC, this requires passing a persuasion check on her and then *her* passing a deception check on the dragon rider.

I'm not sure I've ever seen that in an RPG.

Codex Year of the Donut

When you meet the githyanki, you can have Lae’zel tell them the truth or try to deceive them.

IIRC, this requires passing a persuasion check on her and then *her* passing a deception check on the dragon rider.

If you pass both it bugs out and wants you to loot an item off the dead githyanki, but you don't fight them if you pass both. Not like it matters, that's basically the end of content for that quest in EA.

They need to improve savegame load times though. Those are pretty bad still.

Sharpedge

Prophet
I *may* have unlocked all the content possible for the Illithid route in Act 1.

I lost the ability to click on the gith after a while. I think she was meant to kill herself but didn’t due to a bug.

All my Illithid/WISDOM options now simply say [True Soul].
Were you able to unlock all of that content while keeping the Goblin Camp non hostile? For me, after you cleanse the druid grove, all of the goblins turn hostile. I am curious if there is a way to complete this quest while maintaining non hostile goblins.

If you pass both it bugs out and wants you to loot an item off the dead githyanki, but you don't fight them if you pass both. Not like it matters, that's basically the end of content for that quest in EA.
Well, she still says to loot the bodies at the end. But it's not a big deal, since there are dead bodies - ie, the Flaming Fist there. It may be a bug or may just be the devs trying to avoid doing two lines of dialog when one would suffice.

Codex Year of the Donut

Well, she still says to loot the bodies at the end. But it's not a big deal, since there are dead bodies - ie, the Flaming Fist there. It may be a bug or may just be the devs trying to avoid doing two lines of dialog when one would suffice.
The item they want you to loot is on the githyanki.
Come to think of it, I wonder if you can pickpocket it off of them while lae'zael is speaking to them

I *may* have unlocked all the content possible for the Illithid route in Act 1.

I lost the ability to click on the gith after a while. I think she was meant to kill herself but didn’t due to a bug.

All my Illithid/WISDOM options now simply say [True Soul].
Were you able to unlock all of that content while keeping the Goblin Camp non hostile? For me, after you cleanse the druid grove, all of the goblins turn hostile. I am curious if there is a way to complete this quest while maintaining non hostile goblins.
I didn't cleanse the grove in my playthroughs. I saw someone who did though and the gobos didn't go hostile. Not sure what happened there.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Well, going solo with a rogue is interesting. Killiing everything, including companions, Shadowheart was my first victim (bitch went down in 2 hits
like a bitch
), Gale too but then he appeared suddenly in a conversation and saying he wants me to res him. Well, fuck him. Next Astarion and all the rest. It's fun. Definitely have to change things up a bit, approach and use every item I have, pretty cool.

How far along are you? There's no way it's soloable through the entire act.
It is, I have soloed the entire of the EA with a Wizard. Hardest fight was probably killing the entire druid grove, although some of the fights in the underdark are also tricky. I had to kite everyone around for ages to do that. Expeditious retreat will win you most fights.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Someone do a poll on how people like it now. It will be interesting to see it the results again in 6 months when they change all kinds of stuff.

Someone do a poll on how people like it now. It will be interesting to see it the results again in 6 months when they change all kinds of stuff.
What would be interesting is seeing how many of the people who vote "no" haven't even played it.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think it can technically be soloed depending on your definition because
Gale is a timebomb. It's the reason he "reappears" when he dies to get you to resurrect him. I haven't tried leaving him dead for two days yet so I'm not sure what happens, but he says the explosion would be big enough to level an entire city.

You could, however,
Avoid meeting Gale, or play as Gale when we get origins characters. Both solve this issue. Or if you consider leaving hm in camp to be the same as soloing, then that works.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Gale is a timebomb. It's the reason he "reappears" when he dies to get you to resurrect him. I haven't tried leaving him dead for two days yet so I'm not sure what happens, but he says the explosion would be big enough to level an entire city.

You could, however,
Avoid meeting Gale, or play as Gale when we get origins characters. Both solve this issue. Or if you consider leaving hm in camp to be the same as soloing, then that works.
Well during the EA nothing happens if you leave him dead for 2 days, because I did that.

You could, however,
I killed Gale at the beginning of my playthrough and nothing happened no matter how often I rested.

It could be that the timebomb is disarmed by the parasite, like Astarion's vampiric weaknesses, or it could be that this was either a ruse by Gale or else a lie someone told him to begin with.

Also, it could be that the timebomb is either only triggered once the player knows about it or after an indeterminate amount of time (ie, you leave via the Underdark and BOOM druid grove and goblin fort are nuked). Or it could only begin to go off at a certain point in the story.

Regardless, unfortunately, I think he'll come back as a character no matter what.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom