Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, the ability to kill any character, or at least to attack them is always the one of the signs of a quality RPG.
Killing characters should make main characters to become hunted men. Divinity OS2 kinda lacked that feature.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Killing characters should make main characters to become hunted men. Divinity OS2 kinda lacked that feature.

I have no idea what the lasting consequences would be as of yet, but when I tried it on the villagers they surrounded me and I had to either talk, fight, or bribe my way out.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From the "demo", my first impressions is that the game feels like Larian, it's just too goofy and bombastic. At least from the first moments of the game. The camera fights me in every single way. Have to recenter the camera all the time. Hard to see where to go etc. Actually it would have been better just to make it third person if there is going to be this much focus on 3D-environment.

UI is messy. Still have not figured out stuff here, but companions don't share inventory, or maybe they do? There is like 3 different inventory screens and it's making me exhausted even thinking about looking for items. And for some reason spells seems to share the quick slot area. Really messy there. Like I said - exhausting, having to fight the UI to be able to play is not ideal.

Combat show %, and for some reason that takes a way a little of playing a DnD game. It hasn't been very exciting yet either, but I'm in tutorial land so could be that. Overall, just by walking around it feels like Divinity. The whole beach area for an example.

Then last, it wasn't very exciting to create the character. Not much to pick from, and there seems to be lacking a couple of classes. Wanted to role a Paladin, but nopes.

Edit:

Want to add one more thing. Fighting has a cartoony Larian feel to it. Slashing someone with a two-hander just feels off.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is that a metric of quality? Being able to kill anyone I mean.

In general, it is perceived as sign of giving player the freedom to what they want in an RPG as waay to heavily scripted RPG (incuding of exclusion to kill NPC) limits player freedom.

On the other hand in DOS and maybe BG3 there is no consequences of those action so it is meh. At least in BG 1 and 2 there is rudimentary system to simualte your crime.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I miss painted portrait, NWN included them eventhough it's 3D. Why Larian didn't add it as optional?

Atleast it makes the UI bearable.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
An hour into the game, and there hasn't been anything exciting or worth talking about. The combat system is D:OS2. The dialogue is as amateurish, too. Watching it reminds me of Star Wars: The Old Republic's stilted crap. The full Voice Acting really restricts the world building. I don't want to keep playing it, but by God, it's called Baldur's Gate 3. I have to keep going.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Get to the point where you have to fight bunch of goblins. Wyll jumping down from a cliff and shouting"make way for the Blade of the Frontiers" like some badass.

His next two attacks were both critical failure and then get one shot by the goblin chief. Now one of the companion is dead before I even get the chance to talk to him.

Last edited:

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
What's D:OS-y about the combat? I have never yet tried to control an area from going crazy from environmental effects nor planned to attack with that in mind and I think that was too integral to D:OS2

Pizzashoes

Scholar
By D:OS, I mean it has the same flow to combat. Every ability and spell you hit feels the same as D:OS2. The game is a direct analogue. I feel like I'm playing some knockoff. Companions die in combat, and then you open the inventory screen, and sure enough, there are scrolls of "Revivify" in each character's bag, just like D:OS. Raise dead is worth pennies. One companion's death is tied to his story and there's some dialogue with it, but it all felt too cheesy to take seriously.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Codex has gone too cynical to be taken seriously when it comes to Larian games. Will have to take a look myself.

The male companions are pretty good though, BING XI LAO. Harrim is a top bro and the ranger lad isn't that bad either.

Harrim is an insufferable 15 yo emo kid trapped in an dwarven priest body. I mean the Jesus impersonator is no revelation either, but at least i dont start to plan bloody murder as soon as he opens his mouth.

Mymmeli

Barely Literate
From the "demo", my first impressions is that the game feels like Larian, it's just too goofy and bombastic. At least from the first moments of the game. The camera fights me in every single way. Have to recenter the camera all the time. Hard to see where to go etc. Actually it would have been better just to make it third person if there is going to be this much focus on 3D-environment.

The default camera settings are pretty bad but hotkeying turn camera to right mouse and camera center to middle mouse works ok for third person gameplay. WASD removing the lock in is really annoying.

Also, dipping your toes in water makes your hair wet for some reason. As soon as you step out, the whole character model dries off:
e5cb66ff9ac0a8be6ae1ae57bde9af2f.jpg

Last edited:
How do Steams game review ratings make any sense? So on the plus end of the scale it goes something like: 'Mixed' to 'Mostly Positive' then next tier up is 'Positive' then next up from there is 'Very Positive' then 'Overwhelmingly Positive'.... okay fine.

Well Wasteland 3 has an 80% positive review score and is given the overall rating that everyone sees when they glance at the main page on Steam of 'Mostly Positive'. OTOH BG3 has an 80% positive review score and is given an overall review score two tiers higher at 'Very Positive'. How does the same positive review score result in a two tier difference in ratings? I feel like I see these discrepancies often and it usually seems to favor these big name games being 'overrated'. I am sure they justify it somehow with 'known purchaser' reviews being weighted different or something, but as long as the system has some opaque nature and is not simply straight forward I will continue to be a bit suspicious of some review scores.

Ulysa

Scholar
I'm letting it be known that I am going into this game ready to despise it and will be biased and cruelly unfair to it.

I am going to light this cocksucka' up. There is no way I will like it. Even if I like something in it, I'll twist it in a way to not like it. I can't wait. I am actually going to pay money, real world currency, just so I can tell you all how much I hate this game. "Crazy," you think. "Why would anybody do that?" Because I want to, because I need to.

Oooh, release it Swen, I'm ready for it! My legs are shaking in anticipation. GIVE IT TO ME. I wanna tear this ass UP.
The hero we needed but we don't deserve but we actually deserve... *hans zimmer ost* :salute:

This game is going to make an absolute shit load of money (it already has), it already has nearly 2000 reviews and it was released hours ago..WTF... I wonder if this is good or bad for RPG's in general? I guess we will see. BTW from just brief look into game play so far it looks to me this game has one of the weaknesses I feared it might with Larian as the designer, and that is bad itemization. This issue made it difficult for me to enjoy their other games, but I was hoping it being D&D and BG might force them into being 'good' at itemization. Yet somehow they seem to fuck it up anyway, so it is something deep with in their design philosophy that causes them to believe bland loot is somehow enjoyable. I really don't understand this.

Am I over reacting with regards to the loot? I admit I have only seen a very brief amount so far, so I am hoping I am wrong about this. If I am right, maybe mods can fix it?? Maybe...?

Doktor Best

Arcane
I think "positive" is the highest possible rating which is 95% and above. Wasteland 3 maybe is on 79.6% or something, so Steam rounds up the number but still places it in the 70-80% bracket, while BG3 possibly sits at 80,3% so its in the higher bracket while showing the same number.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Is anyone else giddy with excitement for this to fail hard like all the other nostalgia driven cash grabs before?
It has COOP and 5E, normies and scrublors will likely love it, we already have some fags like that in this very thread. I loath the game but it'll likely do super well, that's the point of the trashy dev choice and the sellout use of the good BG name.
At this point most negative steam reviews are COOP bitches whining about desyncs, but some people point out it's mostly reskinned DOS2. I'll wait and see for now.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Combat feels nothing like D:OS except for the environmental effects. Which, granted, should've been toned down.

Also game is a very rough alpha. Glitches everywhere. Going to take them a long time to patch everything up.

Will see you faggots in a year's time.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I spent most of the evening downloading the game so I could only play it for like an hour before I figured it'd be best to stop for the night. I ended up concluding I hadn't played enough to properly determine what I think of it so far and I imagine a lot of other people experienced the same thing which is why there aren't many posts about the actual game yet.
So far my only takeaways based on my roughly one hour of gameplay is that I'm really not a fan of the music and that the combat feels a lot faster compared to Larian's previous games. The animations play out a lot faster so there's less idle time while waiting for enemies to finish their turn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom