Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Varnaan

Augur
How the fuck war-forged and tadpole work together? And why? Yikes.

How the fuck vampire and tadpole work together?
I mean one is robot?? other is just gay dude.

Undead. The tadpole wouldn't have sufficient stuff to feed on. Not just brain matter, enzymes and such would be completely missing.

Asstarion is a very weird case.
Mechanically in the game he is still hurt by running water, he can still drink blood for sustenance, and he confirmed that prior to the tadpole he couldn't go out in the sun.
Yet he is not qualified as an undead, doesn't have the Vampire Spawn abilities and traits (regeneration, spider climb, forbiddance).
I suppose we'll learn later on that the tadpole through the magic infusion it was subject to somehow resurrected him or something.
I think it's interesting.

Shinros

Learned
To be more productive about the feedback thread I'm glad that Larian is at least aware that the evil route is downright comical and veering into cartoon evil territory. Also it's interesting that they are surprised with Halsin's popularity, I mean he is an elf who has the form a bodybuilder, a good druid and is more than willing to slaughter goblins. What's not to like about that? I would gladly trade him for Wyll.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
How the fuck war-forged and tadpole work together? And why? Yikes.

How the fuck vampire and tadpole work together?
I mean one is robot?? other is just gay dude.

Undead. The tadpole wouldn't have sufficient stuff to feed on. Not just brain matter, enzymes and such would be completely missing.

Asstarion is a very weird case.
Mechanically in the game he is still hurt by running water, he can still drink blood for sustenance, and he confirmed that prior to the tadpole he couldn't go out in the sun.
Yet he is not qualified as an undead, doesn't have the Vampire Spawn abilities and traits (regeneration, spider climb, forbiddance).
I suppose we'll learn later on that the tadpole through the magic infusion it was subject to somehow resurrected him or something.
I think it's interesting.

I do hope they will give us an explanation like that. I keep forgetting the tadpoles have been tampered with.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Nah, history will prove once again that this game is shit and will be forgotten along with so many other cash-grab games. We're dealing with a cat in heat right now, but wait a year or two, this will die down eventually.
For the good of the rpg industry, I hope you're right
RTwP for kids
Considering how the main complaint I hear about rtwp is that it's too chaotic and hard to control/micromanage, I'm thinking that rtwp isn't the one for kids. Kids have trouble following and keeping track of multiple objects at once, maybe the one that caters to that is for kids. Or maybe they're both great systems but to create a 'bg' game and turn it tb because your studio is too incompetent to try something new is bad.

Varnaan

Augur
I do hope they will give us an explanation like that. I keep forgetting the tadpoles have been tampered with.
If I can put on my conspiracy theorist hat for a moment, considering the ability for the PC to complete ceremorphosis has been mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to return him into an actual vampire spawn or to a natural High Elf once the tadpole is removed.
I mean Larian already gave us playable undeads in OS2 and Kingmaker had Jaethal so I doubt he'll stay in this state, it would be silly.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the Avernus all about? What is the story, the gist of it?

The city of Elturiel had a contract with a Devil Lord, made by the mayor. The city gets dragged into Hell. Minsc and his adventuring party, along with a bunch of Speljammer pirates led by a Mind Flayer, save the city. The end.

Okay, what is the connection to Baldur's Gate 3? Or BG as a city in general.

Varnaan

Augur

The city of Elturiel had a contract with a Devil Lord, made by the mayor. The city gets dragged into Hell. Minsc and his adventuring party, along with a bunch of Speljammer pirates led by a Mind Flayer, save the city. The end.

You'll meet a group of Elturiel refugees, the Nautiloid you're on at the start goes through Avernus and you have a quest to kill/assist a Blood War veteran.

Edit: An entire city literally going to hell is a pretty big deal I think.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Elturiel is located pretty close to Baldur's Gate, iirc. Err. Was. Before the Avernus thing.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Looking forward to 2030-2040 when the BG2 remake in BG3 engine comes out and I finally get to see Viconia's tits.
If the BG3 devkit is released I bet on release date + 2 years for BG2 and NWN total conversions to pop up.
That's some exceptionally ambitious timescales. There's a Baldur's Gate port to NWN2 which took some seven years to come out, and the same (admittedly small) group is still working on Baldur's Gate 2 with a view to release next year.

Elturiel is located pretty close to Baldur's Gate, iirc. Err. Was. Before the Avernus thing.

SO? What does that have to do with BG3? So far I've heard pretty flimsy connections.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

SO? What does that have to do with BG3? So far I've heard pretty flimsy connections.

Elturel and BG were having a constant standoff until the whole Avernus thing and now the same people try to find refuge in Baldur's Gate except they're also demons.

Varnaan

Augur
It's one of the main events of the recent time-line, is tied to the current stats of Baldur's Gate (influx of refugees and vampires) and has already been woven into the overarching narrative through various quests and encounters.
I don't know if it's going to be super mega relevant to the main plot but it's already prominent in the background.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Shadowheart's box looks like another very popular puzzle box with ...peculiarities inside. Angels to some, demons to others.

Elturel and BG were having a constant standoff until the whole Avernus thing and now the same people try to find refuge in Baldur's Gate except they're also demons.

Insert "why the fuck would I care about any of that" meme.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Mmmmm yeah, the EA can definitely be soloed as a rogue. Using all the tools, speccing into thief with dual wield, the arrowheads are phenomenal, the grease bottles, the shove etc. Max level is 4, once you get enough xp, the text changes to "maximum level reached" or something like that. If it wasn't a limit, with all the content in this EA, could easily get to like level 6, probably more. Also, fuck that dwarf ambush in the Underdark in the decrepit village. That was the most annoying. Also the itemization is fantastic. Actual unique items, useful even and finding them requires searching quite thoroughly. Cool stuff. And playing solo is actually even better (at least for me) as it gives you more control and allowing you to micromanage only one char properly. And if you kill all the companions, the camp is kinda like a ghost town, so don't do that. Collect all the scrolls and magic items, pickpocket as much as possible (gold and weapons, not armors or trinkets as you find them in the wild and they're better than the vendor merchandise) and you suddenly have access to a wide variety of tools to control the battlefield.
Pro tip: when the fight against Bernard starts, you can shove him through the window and he'll lose like 50% of his HP and stay there which you an kill with arrows from up top. You can do the same with Spaw or use a roaring thunder arrowhead. Ah, I love this stuff.

Love the older games.
which of them had good writing again

shunthenonbeliever.png

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The monster models in this game are outstanding. I dunno what demonic pact their artists have made since OS:2 and this... But god bless their eternal souls because the tithe will be high.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom