Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
XCOM 2 comes to mind.
For all the inane bitching people love to do about "missing 90% shots", it takes a couple of ranks and then the game gives countless tools to rarely ever have to rely on luck.
By mid game a competent player can go through a mission hardly ever even attempting stuff below a 95% chance to hit.
Ironically enough X-COM 2 had cheating built in: Yes, XCOM 2's RNG cheats - in your favor. Here's how.

XCOM 2 comes to mind.
For all the inane bitching people love to do about "missing 90% shots", it takes a couple of ranks and then the game gives countless tools to rarely ever have to rely on luck.
By mid game a competent player can go through a mission hardly ever even attempting stuff below a 95% chance to hit.
Ironically enough X-COM 2 had cheating built in: Yes, XCOM 2's RNG cheats - in your favor. Here's how.
Only on poamole difficulty levels.
But yeah, given where the complaints came from, it's somewhat ironic that the game actually cheated in the player's favor and not the other way around as some people guessed.
EDIT- Then again it should be stressed that even on lower difficulties if you actually start benefitting from these hidden bonuses, chances are you are a fucking awful player.
There's no way to get "three misses in a row" unless you are playing like a spastic.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Steam reviewers may not like it but D&D's swingy nature is part of the appeal.

And hence why this types of rule alterations needs to be optional.

I only played 3e with a group once and having the DM describing how a crit managed to hit on enemy neck, he is bleeding a lot and heavily injured was so dope. on P&P, you know that a single crit can flip the table in your on in your enemy favor and make the combat fells more risky is a huge part of the appeal. I get that Larian needs to please Greeks(D&D fans) and Trojans(DOS2 fans) but making things optional will be a perfect middle ground. Being able to one shot an goblin small army when you get a AoE spell which was a trouble before was also part of the appeal of spell circles on almost every game with tier based spell progression.

Larian don't get it since they are too used to DOS2 and probably most people there din't even played BG1/2...

Hamlet

Novice
Larian's handling of Advantage largely breaks the 5e system, it's rather fragile really. In short, they hand Advantage out like candy. For example, one can get Advantage by simply walking behind the target, that's Advantage at no resource cost. This invalidates a host of abilities and spell effects that have a resource cost, or are unique aspects of certain classes. Largely, the sole utility of these abilities and spell effects is to offer Advantage to yourself or your team-mates, usually with the target getting a saving throw in the process, now it's free at no resource cost. This is some newb-ass design by folks that don't know how the various spells and abilities of 5e interact. The unholy union of D&D 5e and DOS has a host of other problems as well, but this handling of 5e's key system is the worst.

Codex Year of the Donut
For example, one can get Advantage by simply walking behind the target,
5L7IqTc.png

Yosharian

Arcane
Larian's handling of Advantage largely breaks the 5e system, it's rather fragile really. In short, they hand Advantage out like candy. For example, one can get Advantage by simply walking behind the target, that's Advantage at no resource cost. This invalidates a host of abilities and spell effects that have a resource cost, or are unique aspects of certain classes. Largely, the sole utility of these abilities and spell effects is to offer Advantage to yourself or your team-mates, usually with the target getting a saving throw in the process, now it's free at no resource cost. This is some newb-ass design by folks that don't know how the various spells and abilities of 5e interact. The unholy union of D&D 5e and DOS has a host of other problems as well, but this handling of 5e's key system is the worst.
wait you mean advantage from flanking right? or are you saying that you get adv from just walking behind a target?

kreight

yall talking about xcom here. there this nice little game Phoenix Point which was supposed to bury xcims ridiculous rng. Remember that game!

bec de corbin

Educated
Remember how pathfinder was lauded for being the true tabletop experience even though they broke flanking to such a degree that almost every attack I made in my last playthrough got flanking bonuses

Hamlet

Novice
I mean Advantage just by walking behind the target. Regarding flanking, or facing for that matter, they are not in the Core Rules for reason. Only a newbie DM would allow it, with no inkling of how spells and abilities interact in 5e. You would be giving Advantage at no resource cost, while all the abilities and spells earned by leveling up require an action/bonus action and a precious resource to use.

Codex Year of the Donut
I mean Advantage just by walking behind the target. Regarding flanking, or facing for that matter, they are not in the Core Rules for reason. Only a newbie DM would allow it, with no inkling of how spells and abilities interact in 5e. You would be giving Advantage at no resource cost, while all the abilities and spells earned by leveling up require an action/bonus action and a precious resource to use.
They're in the optional rules because using a grid is optional.

Regarding flanking, or facing for that matter, they are not in the Core Rules for reason.
That reason is that doing all those calculations on situational modifiers manually would become exceedingly elaborate and tedious for very little payoff, above anything else.

Baldurs Gate has never rewarded standing behind someone before, this is new and very shocking
Baldur's Gate never had opportunity attacks either.

Last edited:

Hamlet

Novice
Yeah, I don't it's think optional to screw the entire character system, regardless of the reasons why WOTC created some variant rules, nearly all of which are pretty awful. This all is fairly obvious if you've played this system for any amount of time, which the folks at Larain haven't done.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, I don't it's think optional to screw the entire character system, regardless of the reasons why WOTC created some variant rules, nearly all of which are pretty awful. This all is fairly obvious if you've played this system for any amount of time, which the folks at Larain haven't done.
5e is poo so I don't really care either way.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Remember how pathfinder was lauded for being the true tabletop experience even though they broke flanking to such a degree that almost every attack I made in my last playthrough got flanking bonuses
Video game adaptations are only considered faithful to the source material by those who like the changes.

Varnaan

Augur
Larian don't get it since they are too used to DOS2 and probably most people there din't even played BG1/2
Bro Larian's reference when it comes to RPG has always been Ultima but how the fuck would you assume a studio that has been making games for 30 years has had no contact with BG?
This is the weirdest shit I have ever read.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bro Larian's reference when it comes to RPG has always been Ultima but how the fuck would you assume a studio that has been making games for 30 years has had no contact with BG?

What, Ultima? Maybe divine divinity had Ultima influences but all modern Larian games doesn't.

And did you watched the stream of then? Then mention spells which literally BG2 implemented as a "impossible to work in a video game" example.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
This is the weirdest shit I have ever read.

The average Larian employee is a twenty-something grunt like at every other game studio, and by probability a normie to boot. You could likely count the number of them who have played BG and BG2 on one hand.

Codex Year of the Donut

What, Ultima? Maybe divine divinity had Ultima influences but all modern Larian games doesn't.

And did you watched the stream of then? Then mention spells which literally BG2 implemented as a "impossible to work in a video game" example.
You know there are a ton of high level spells that BG2 never implemented, right?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The average Larian employee is a twenty-something grunt like at every other game studio, and by probability a normie to boot.

I an 29 yo and played both some years ago(EE first)

You know there are a ton of high level spells that BG2 never implemented, right?

But the two which they criticized and mentioned as obvious examples that can't work even with adaptations are this

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Time_Stop

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Wish

If they had played BG2 at least once, they would known that there are a quest which limited wish can give to you.

Varnaan

Augur
The average Larian employee is a twenty-something grunt like at every other game studio, and by probability a normie to boot. You could likely count the number of them who have played BG and BG2 on one hand.
I don't know, and frankly even if that were true as long as the management knows all about D&D the code monkeys could be My Little Pony fans for all I care.
Also honestly I think it's not really doing anyone a service to look at the IE games as "good" implementations of D&D.

Codex Year of the Donut
The average Larian employee is a twenty-something grunt like at every other game studio, and by probability a normie to boot.

But the two which they criticized and mentioned as obvious examples that can't work even with adaptations are this

If they had played BG2 at least once, they would known that there are a quest which limited wish can give to you.
You realize 5E Time stop is different from 2E, right?
Without creative interpretation of an actual DM its usefulness is really low. Basically limited to healing yourself and delayed blast fireballs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

You realize 5E Time stop is different from 2E, right?
Without creative interpretation of an actual DM its usefulness is really low. Basically limited to healing yourself and delayed blast fireballs.

And wish much more limited. But they din't mentioned as examples of spells that needs to be different than P&P, they mentioned as spells that can't exist period.

Also honestly I think it's not really doing anyone a service to look at the IE games as "good" implementations of D&D.

At least IE games din't made Sleep worthless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom