Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

This happened once. What's the bad feature everybody's mad about in this game?
Swen Vincke seems to have a thing for championing messy solutions ignoring everyone telling them why they work poorly.
Disagreeing with him on a decision and being proved right about it sometimes later is almost a standard at this point.

I disagreed with him about the brilliance of the chain/unchain system to control the party
I disagreed with him on the merits of the armor system in DOS 2.
I disagreed with him about a day/night cycle being superfluous and a low priority for immersion
I disagreed with him about randomly generated loot being better than unique hand-placed items in DOS 1 and 2.

Every single one of these was a feature that made their previous games worse, to a more or less relevant extent.

When I see people bitching about "Larian's writing being silly" I can't help it but groan, because I genuinely don't give a shit. I honestly don't even think their writing is so bad ( and frankly a lot of people complaining seem to make it more an issue of not liking the particular vibe of the setting rather than a matter of specifically poorly written passages).

When we are talking about mechanical issues, on the other hand, they should definitely learn to trust the feedback more. Because your user base in general may be complete garbage in suggesting proper viable solution, but conversely tends to be extremely reliable at spotting the existence of a problem.

Gargaune

Magister
Will the cycle repeat?

Larian: here’s our clever design.
Everyone: Boy, that sucks.
Larian: Nuh-uh, you’ll come around eventually.

*Two years later*

Larian: Boy, that surely sucked, uh? Too bad what’s done is done.
That's what I'm afraid of. If I were to outline my major issues with the game right now:
- Grotesque character selection/grouping mechanism;
- Inadequate camera controls;
- Absurd selective initiative system.

I have other objections, some stemming from 5E itself, others from Larian's adaptation of the ruleset as well as some other general grievances, but none of those are showstoppers. The above three, however, are pervasive problems that will critically hobble the experience if they're not addressed. And yes, I meant it when I said the first two are worse than in NWN2.

The worst part is that all three wouldn't actually be difficult to fix even while accounting for multiplayer, but a quick skim of the official forums gives me little hope for remedial regardless of Larian's willingness to listen.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
EVERYONE hated HP bloat. Not surprised

Ru1D5bQ.png

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...PmuhGl3qdH_eKI0I_zM01Me0q_2q5Dg/viewanalytics

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=712680&page=1

PS : I an the guy who suggested succubus familiar for warlock. Is one of the few things which I miss on AoC
This is the result of "brilliant genius" Swen's Sawyer-like idea of "it's not fun to miss in combat"
"I know, we'll reduce the AC and boost the HP! Players will hit more often but it will take more hits to kill enemies! It will <<balance>> out!" - another designer who thinks he is very smart.

:Sad horn:

Elex

Arbiter
Why'd they make Lae'zel's intelligence so low as a fighter? Isn't fighter/mage gith iconic?
Of corse they are. the origin of the gish term is from the gith gish.
Lae’zel is just a trash tier gith with no value in the gith society.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will the cycle repeat?

Larian: here’s our clever design.
Everyone: Boy, that sucks.
Larian: Nuh-uh, you’ll come around eventually.

*Two years later*

Larian: Boy, that surely sucked, uh? Too bad what’s done is done.

This happened once. What's the bad feature everybody's mad about in this game?

Elemental surfaces caused by cantrips, weapon dipping, bonus action shove, jump and stealth promoting cheese (having trouble with a fight, stealth/shove/jump at the end of every turn) , AC/hp rework...
I could go on but those are my main gripes.

Codex Year of the Donut

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Not sticking to core rules and thinking they can improve upon a tested system with inelegant and crude sweeping changes?
5e is garbage

It has many faults, but to call it garbage is stretching it.
5e is complete trash for negative IQ retards with no interest in actually playing an RPG but just interested in LARPing.
There, are you happy now?

Oh, the edge.

4e was garbage. 5e is just mediocre.

Codex Year of the Donut
Not sticking to core rules and thinking they can improve upon a tested system with inelegant and crude sweeping changes?
5e is garbage

It has many faults, but to call it garbage is stretching it.
5e is complete trash for negative IQ retards with no interest in actually playing an RPG but just interested in LARPing.
There, are you happy now?

Oh, the edge.

4e was garbage. 5e is just mediocre.
At least 4e was designed for people who wanted to play a game

Shrimp

Arbiter
EVERYONE hated HP bloat. Not surprised

Ru1D5bQ.png

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...PmuhGl3qdH_eKI0I_zM01Me0q_2q5Dg/viewanalytics

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=712680&page=1

PS : I an the guy who suggested succubus familiar for warlock. Is one of the few things which I miss on AoC
This is the result of "brilliant genius" Swen's Sawyer-like idea of "it's not fun to miss in combat"
"I know, we'll reduce the AC and boost the HP! Players will hit more often but it will take more hits to kill enemies! It will <<balance>> out!" - another designer who thinks he is very smart.

:Sad horn:
Larian themselves are also partially responsible for it. DOS2's generally despised armour system was in place mostly to prevent fights from delving into a contest of whoever could stun the enemy first. However, one of the other less cited reasons for its implementation was also to take away as much randomness from the combat as possible. Even though DOS1 also used one of their own homemade combat systems it still had hit chances depending on various modifiers and proficiencies. Apparently the reception to that system must've been negative enough for them to feel the need to completely do away with this for their following game. I can only assume that the success of DOS2 compared to DOS1 is their assurance that a high hit chance with bloated health apparently is preferable to a lower hit chance with an adjusted health pool (or AC in the case of DND games)

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The idea of moving out of fire blows the 5etard's brain
Yes that's the problem, not giving everyone extra bonus actions, making Rogues useless, HP bloat/AC nerf shit, enviro surface memes, etc. Many such cases.
BG3 is still not a bad game, but the rules changes are almost all for the worse.

Codex Year of the Donut
The idea of moving out of fire blows the 5etard's brain
Yes that's the problem, not giving everyone extra bonus actions, making Rogues useless, HP bloat/AC nerf shit, enviro surface memes, etc. Many such cases.
BG3 is still not a bad game, but the rules changes are almost all for the worse.
The idea of an early access game having experimental features to get feedback blows the 5etard's brain

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The idea of an early access game having experimental features to get feedback blows the 5etard's brain
This 100% accurate assessment blows the lariannigger's brain:
Swen Vincke seems to have a thing for championing messy solutions ignoring everyone telling them why they work poorly.
Disagreeing with him on a decision and being proved right about it sometimes later is almost a standard at this point.

I disagreed with him about the brilliance of the chain/unchain system to control the party
I disagreed with him about a day/night cycle being superfluous and a low priority for immersion
I disagreed with him about randomly generated loot being better than unique hand-placed items in DOS 1 and 2.

Every single one of these was a feature that made their previous games worse, to a more or less relevant extent.

When I see people bitching about "Larian's writing being silly" I can't help it but groan, because I genuinely don't give a shit. I honestly don't even think their writing is so bad ( and frankly a lot of people complaining seem to make it more an issue of not liking the particular vibe of the setting rather than a matter of specifically poorly written passages).

When we are talking about mechanical issues, on the other hand, they should definitely learn to trust the feedback more. Because your user base in general may be complete garbage in suggesting proper viable solution, but conversely tends to be extremely reliable at spotting the existence of a problem.

Codex Year of the Donut
This 100% accurate assessment blows the lariannigger's brain:

Trusting codex feedback: get 50 sales on your CYOA book with PS1 graphics
Trusting superior Rusty feedback: become one of the best selling RPG franchises of all time

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It wasn’t the best mechanic ever, but it beat DOS1 and taking turns initiative. If NJClaw likes the game good enough for me.

I’ll play it in three years Definitive modded.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It wasn’t the best mechanic ever, but it beat DOS1 and taking turns initiative. If NJClaw likes the game good enough for me.

I’ll play it in three years Definitive modded.
You shouldn't trust me, man. I notoriously have the shit-taste.

This game is like the polar opposite of Kingmaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom