Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Magister
Saradush doesn't really have survivors other than (potentially) Viekang. The city gets razed and butchered by Yaga Shura's army. Still, it's fine to assume that not every Bhaalspawn ended up in Saradush. It seems like a really dumb oversight.
This was BioWare's mistake, implying there were hordes of Bhaalspawn running around like locusts in ToB. The original line was that Bhaal had sired "a score of mortal progeny", should've stuck to that and it would've made their story more manageable.

Going back to BG3 for a minute, has anyone sided with Kagha in the Druid Grove? I decided to give it a shot, told Zevlor to GTFO which got him to dive on my sword, but now that I go back to Kagha she just says I should have "no trouble removing the rest of the tieflings." How, am I just supposed to go play muderhobo through camp? There's no quest entry or anything, am I going off track or down an incomplete quest branch here?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Saradush doesn't really have survivors other than (potentially) Viekang. The city gets razed and butchered by Yaga Shura's army. Still, it's fine to assume that not every Bhaalspawn ended up in Saradush. It seems like a really dumb oversight.
This was BioWare's mistake, implying there were hordes of Bhaalspawn running around like locusts in ToB. The original line was that Bhaal had sired "a score of mortal progeny", should've stuck to that and it would've made their story more manageable.

Going back to BG3 for a minute, has anyone sided with Kagha in the Druid Grove? I decided to give it a shot, told Zevlor to GTFO which got him to dive on my sword, but now that I go back to Kagha she just says I should have "no trouble removing the rest of the tieflings." How, am I just supposed to go play muderhobo through camp? There's no quest entry or anything, am I going off track or down an incomplete quest branch here?

Only the ending of Baldur's Gate (the one with the statues) shows that there indeed were A LOT of Bhaalspawn around.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume there might be a lot of people interested in going around hunting down bhaalspawn, especially certain religious sects and paladins.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume there might be a lot of people interested in going around hunting down bhaalspawn, especially certain religious sects and paladins.

The problem is that there is no real way to detect whether someone is a Bhaalspawn or not, until they start going around murdering people. That's the whole point of the "Taint" character in your dreams - its goal is to corrupt Bhaalspawn from within and turn them into killers, so that heroes would rise up and slay them in turn.

Gargaune

Magister
Only the ending of Baldur's Gate (the one with the statues) shows that there indeed were A LOT of Bhaalspawn around.
Yes, and it was stupid to build on that for ToB's plot, wherein Melissan herds all of them into Saradush like it's Woodstock. If they'd stuck with Alaundo's original line, they'd have had an easier time tying up loose ends.

Codex Year of the Donut

The problem is that there is no real way to detect whether someone is a Bhaalspawn or not, until they start going around murdering people. That's the whole point of the "Taint" character in your dreams - its goal is to corrupt Bhaalspawn from within and turn them into killers, so that heroes would rise up and slay them in turn.
Disagree with this, bhaalspawn are supposed to carry a piece of bhaal's essence. There are suitable arcane and divine magics throughout various editions for detecting them in various ways.

Basically, if a bunch of high level paladins, clerics, and wizards decided to erase Bhaalspawns and the bhaalspawns didn't work together to protect themselves(most likely), there's a good chance they'd succeed at it.

I can imagine that in a setting like FR, Bhaalspawn would be a hot commodity once word got out. Divine essence isn't exactly easy to come by, so harvesting and bottling all the little errant Bhaalspawn would be a really profitable.

PS: What is the explanation for the caulky twink, Astarion, being able to walk around in full daylight, no problemo?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Disagree with this, bhaalspawn are supposed to carry a piece of bhaal's essence. There are suitable arcane and divine magics throughout various editions for detecting them in various ways.

Basically, if a bunch of high level paladins, clerics, and wizards decided to erase Bhaalspawns and the bhaalspawns didn't work together to protect themselves(most likely), there's a good chance they'd succeed at it.

Apparently only you came up with it, since even Bhaal's original plan went so poorly Amellisana had to basically groom several Bhaalspawn into warlords, herd as many as possible into a single city, and have them slaughter one another.

Codex Year of the Donut

Apparently only you came up with it, since even Bhaal's original plan went so poorly Amellisana had to basically groom several Bhaalspawn into warlords, herd as many as possible into a single city, and have them slaughter one another.
That was just shortly after the bhaalspawn crisis began though. There would have been ample time since for this to happen. Doubt it's canon, but it would be one way to explain it away if it really bothers your autism.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I see nothing that would contradict Imoen being dead.

Bhaalspawn are biologically immortal, or at least very long lived. So her dying of old age is unlikely, considering that:
1. She's younger than Abdel.
2. She's a mage.

EDIT: Baldur's Gate I, Volrath, during CHARNAME'S first conversation with Imoen. She states that she's younger than you.
What does Imoen's age have to do with supposed immortality?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Bhaalspawn are biologically immortal, or at least very long lived. So her dying of old age is unlikely, considering that:
2. She's a mage.

EDIT: Baldur's Gate I, Volrath, during CHARNAME'S first conversation with Imoen. She states that she's younger than you.
What does Imoen's age have to do with supposed immortality?

I meant that, even in the case that Bhaalspawn are not biologically immortal, but "just" extremely long-lived, her being younger AND being a mage rather disqualifies death of old age.

Varnaan

Augur
She was found dead and naked in a Beregost Inn room after being seen in company of Gorion's ward and a couple of excentric mages and dwarves.

I can imagine that in a setting like FR, Bhaalspawn would be a hot commodity once word got out. Divine essence isn't exactly easy to come by, so harvesting and bottling all the little errant Bhaalspawn would be a really profitable.

PS: What is the explanation for the caulky twink, Astarion, being able to walk around in full daylight, no problemo?
Asstarion is a very weird case.
Mechanically in the game he is still hurt by running water, he can still drink blood for sustenance, and he confirmed that prior to the tadpole he couldn't go out in the sun.
Yet he is not qualified as an undead, doesn't have the Vampire Spawn abilities and traits (regeneration, spider climb, forbiddance).
I suppose we'll learn later on that the tadpole through the magic infusion it was subject to somehow resurrected him or something.
I think it's interesting.

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

2. She's a mage.
Where is this stated?
In the aforementioned Murder in Baldur's Gate, set more than a hundred years after ToB, Grand Duke Abdel Adrian is remarkably spry for an ~140-year old human.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
yo Stalin
quit stallin' and get back to your market stall
the commoners clamor for such lore
but Bhaal aint no 'thal
to make it worth the while

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What is the explanation for the caulky twink, Astarion, being able to walk around in full daylight, no problemo?
The tadpole.

God I hope it won't be something completely retarded, like "the tadpoles were suffused with Bhaal's divine essence."
They...

...have been altered with Netherese magic, which is all the explanation we have right now. So while it's possible...

...I am hoping it's unlikely.

Bruh, Bhaal had way more than a score (eighty twenty what's wrong with me) children. Look at the original (not the crappy EE, which ruined it) end scene of BG1. There looked like there were hundreds, if not thousands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gargaune

Magister
God I hope it won't be something completely retarded, like "the tadpoles were suffused with Bhaal's divine essence."
Well, you know, you're sitting at a bar, nursing a scotch, and then this chick asks you for a light and she's got an hourglass figure and tentacles for days. What's a poor Lord of Murder to do?

Bruh, Bhaal had way more than a score (eighty) children. Look at the original (not the crappy EE, which ruined it) end scene of BG1. There looked like there were hundreds, if not thousands.
Yeah, I know it, I'm just saying it was a bad call on BioWare's part at least as far as ToB's plot went later, if they'd kept to the original line (a score is twenty, by the way), they'd have had a more manageable scenario to build on. The EE cinematic still illustrates the horde of Bhaalspawn, for the record.

I hope we can ally with the Zhentarim and finally buttfuck those morons.
You actually can get friendly with a Zhent company in the EA and their members indicate they're about to return to Baldur's Gate. So, yes, I'm also hoping we'll have an opportunity to fuck Harper shit up, the only other game I've played that let you chum up with the Zhentarim was Tyrants of the Moonsea, albeit at the end.

a score is twenty, by the way
there were more than 20 though.

the point is, I think you're just taking one word, and as I've demonstrated, someone can be mistaken about the meaning of, and taking it as original intent and then suggesting that tob changed it.

there were always scores of bhallspawn. Not millions, not even hundreds of thousands, but quite a few, with some exceptionally powerful ones as the cream of the crop.

You also need to take into account 2nd generation spawn, which I find a bit unrealistic given the time constraints, but are a part of tob nonetheless...
The EE cinematic still illustrates the horde of Bhaalspawn, for the record.
No, compare them. The scene is completely different because it doesn't pan over all of them the same way.

Clearly more than 20 and the EE conveys it better since otherwise you're just looking at a giant hall and who knows how many other statues are there.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom