Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
In general about armor in 5e; Both medium and heavy armor exists at various price points from cheap to expensive, of course AC increases with price. (Lae'zel's half plate is actually a top-tier medium armor that should cost 900 GP, weird for a 1st level character to have)
Typically heavy armor users will have 1 better AC than a medium armor user with same tier gear, that's nice but not a huge advantage. The main benefit of heavy armor is that it doesn't require any investment in DEX, so you have more points for other attributes.
Yeah but also STR armour requires high STR right? So you get to dump DEX, but you need high STR instead.

And DEX saves tend to be more important than STR saves I think
There's a movement speed penalty for not satisfying the STR requirement of your armor, but it rarely matters much. A caster in heavy armor will usually have no problem getting in range to use his spells even if he's a bit slow, while a melee character is going to be focusing on STR anyway.

It's true that DEX is useful for saves an initiative rolls, but the difference between say DEX 8 and DEX 14 is only +3, so in both cases it mostly comes down to the luck of the D20, you won't notice that much difference from having shit DEX.
I disagree, with that, +3 is a significant bonus in 5E because of bounded accuracy.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I disagree, with that, +3 is a significant bonus in 5E because of bounded accuracy.
+3 is a huge bonus on attack rolls since you roll so many of them, but saves are much less common so the bonus is less meaningful. Even with the bonus you're going to be failing most DEX saves unless you're proficient.

Gargaune

Magister
It's already been confirmed that the entire Kagha side of things is being rewritten
Cool, that's good to hear.

1) I'm gonna have quite a bit of heavy armor users in my party, are there a lot of heavy armors in the game so far or are they rare?
I've found a couple of mundane Ring Mail suits so far, but they're not worth it for anything. It's got the same AC 14 as the much more common Scale Mail, but that's Medium armour which allows you up to a +2 Dex bonus. The best armour I've found thus far has been the Githyanki Half Plate with AC 15 and +2 from Dex, Lae'zel has one and you can loot a second if you defeat a Gith party later on, but keep in mind all of these I've mentioned have Stealth Disadvantage if that's relevant to you.

Say *no* to him and then talk again to choose via special dialogue branch.
Thanks, must've missed it in dialogue.

Codex Year of the Donut
People who've played a bit of the EA, I have a question, I'm trying to decide between the Knowledge Domain and the Life Domain for my Wiz/Cleric

1) I'm gonna have quite a bit of heavy armor users in my party, are there a lot of heavy armors in the game so far or are they rare?

2) Do skills like Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion come up often, or rarely? What about Investigation?
1) There's no almost no heavy armor worth wearing, they obviously didn't place any yet.
2) Yes to all of this, all the time.

There's some heavy armor near the very end of the EA
at the Gith path, the dead flaming fist guys are wearing decent heavy armor iirc

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Half-plate at lvl 1, +2 from DEX, and +2 from shield is 19 AC at level 1. Nobody is going to be touching you for quite a while.

In general about armor in 5e; Both medium and heavy armor exists at various price points from cheap to expensive, of course AC increases with price. (Lae'zel's half plate is actually a top-tier medium armor that should cost 900 GP, weird for a 1st level character to have)
Typically heavy armor users will have 1 better AC than a medium armor user with same tier gear, that's nice but not a huge advantage. The main benefit of heavy armor is that it doesn't require any investment in DEX, so you have more points for other attributes.

Also, cRPGs tend to have a bomb ass suit of heavy armor somewhere in it so my blind approach to most of these games is to have someone ready for it.

Some intrepid codexer should collect statistic of the most viable armor and weapon proficiencies across the lineage of d&d-like cRPGs!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Also, cRPGs tend to have a bomb ass suit of heavy armor somewhere in it so my blind approach to most of these games is to have someone ready for it.

Some intrepid codexer should collect statistic of the most viable armor and weapon proficiencies across the lineage of d&d-like cRPGs!
There's also very likely to be one or more bitchin' longswords or greatswords that nobody can use if you have a DEX focused party.

Gargaune

Magister

There's also very likely to be one or more bitchin' longswords or greatswords that nobody can use if you have a DEX focused party.

Padzi

Arbiter
I noticed that "new" BG fans have metal poles stuck up their asses. I made a meme that pokes fun at the unoriginality of Tav (that basic human male on that Larian presented as an amalgamation of player choice) but not mamy people over at reddit understood the joke. :lol:

a0fzgfrz6gw51.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine thinking BG1 and 2 are good games

What was the good part?
The shitty story?
One of the worst villains in cRPG history?
The terrible encounters?
Making romances a main feature of cRPGs ever since?
The absolute dogshit rape of D&D combat implemented like an RTS which was a fad at the time?
Wait, no, I got it: One of the worst inventories ever implemented in a cRPG.

Oh right, the good part is your nostalgia

purupuru

Learned
BG1 legitimately has a decent story and excellent narrative design on top of that. Even the bandit bounty quest and Ankheg hunting are tied in with the underlying main plot, really make the world feel alive.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yas bruhs, are ya all pumped up for some BALDURS GAYTEEEEEEEEE? YAAAAAAH!

Anyway, that was years ago. Fast forward to 2020, and it looks like my worst nightmare has come to pass. Developer Larian has confirmed that it's upcoming RPG Baldur's Gate 3 will have sex scenes. Not only that, but it will have multiplayer sex scenes. You read that right, friends. For the first time in a Baldur's Gate title, you'll be able to sex up your mates online thanks to a cocktail of multiple origin characters and multiplayer dialogue systems.

https://www.ladbible.com/technology/gaming-baldurs-gate-3-has-multiplayer-sex-scenes-to-enjoy

bruh?

baldurs-gate-3-races-confused-900x506.jpg

...lets go slay some-

love-and-sex-in-baldurs-gate.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

not like this bruh...

purupuru

Learned
BG1 legitimately has a decent story and excellent narrative design on top of that. Even the bandit bounty quest and Ankheg hunting are tied in with the underlying main plot, really make the world feel alive.
how much did those nostalgia goggles cost?
I didn't even like it as a kid (mostly due to the rtwp combat, which I still don't like that much), but I finished a playthrough last week, it was good, very coherent and polished.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
how much did those nostalgia goggles cost?
Indiscriminately shitting on anything that was made in the past isn't any better than nostalgically glorifying it.

Mojobeard

Augur
Finally gave in and bought it.
Man there's so much good stuff, and even more to complain about, but it's so incomplete it's almost not worth thinking about. People seem to have voiced the most pressing problems by now anyway.

hell bovine

Arcane

What was the good part?
The mods. At this point I'd rate BG3 combat above vanilla BG1&2, but below the SCS mod. Larian needs to work on the ai, because it's... patchy. Sometimes the enemies work together nicely, sometimes they act like table legs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing as how the early access already has mods, there might be a possibility for an SCS-like mod down the road. There are difficulty mods for D:OS1 and 2, so it's not like there isn't a precedent. Also, BG1 is great with no nostalgia factored in. I've mentioned this multiple times already, but I never played the BGs as a kid, I played them for the first time the year I joined the 'Dex.

Harthwain

Magister

What was the good part?
You are trying a bit too hard.

The reasons why BG2 is one of my personal all-time classics are:

• It's pretty long and offers a lot of varied environments. Back then, when I had a lot of time on my hands, the length was a positive factor.
  • DnD setting (although to me it was more "medievalistic feel + magic" more than anything else. DnD just fits right in).
  • They managed to pull the impression of the world being alive (companions badgering you to do their quests and leaving you when you took too long, etc.). It's not that impressive now, but back then it was huge.
  • Combat layer was adequate. And that's it - I never thought there was any problem with it. I didn't hate it then, I don't hate it now. Even though I am strongly in favor of turn-based games overall nowadays.
  • The writing was decent. Although I must mention the translation I had contact with was hailed to be one of the best in the gaming industry of my country ever (and rightfully so), so I can't really say much about the original English version.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

What was the good part?
The shitty story?
One of the worst villains in cRPG history?
The terrible encounters?
Making romances a main feature of cRPGs ever since?
The absolute dogshit rape of D&D combat implemented like an RTS which was a fad at the time?
Wait, no, I got it: One of the worst inventories ever implemented in a cRPG.

Oh right, the good part is your nostalgia
Based

dab-gifs-2l7VTF.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom