Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Infinitron, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Murk Arcane

Murk
    I would say the opposite, where-in failures on rolls often just change things.

For example -- if you fail to defuse the fight between Aradin and the Tiefling leader, Aradin might storm off (I think you find him near the ambush site). If you do defuse it, you can talk to him for more information and learn about the thing that drew Halsin's attention (nightsong was it?).

Similarly, if you fail your roll with the druid being converted to the shadow druids, you can fight it out with some druids supporting you and some not. If you succeed, all the druids will help out in the fight against the three shadow druids.

If you fail to realize the healer wants to poison you, you can convince her to give you the antidote. If you succeed, she gives you the poison but you just get it as an item (and it's quite a nice poison too).

I'd say they've REALLY gone deep into giving you multiple different outcomes -- some good, some bad -- but rarely win/fail.

You can also bypass rolls via gameplay. The first mindflayer after the ship crashes... you can just kill it without even going into dialog and that's a legitimate resolution (on par with killing him via dialog). The tadpole crawling away if you fail to crush it aspect, which happens a few times, etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If that's the case, then people should let things play out rather than immediately reloading.

I guess the instinctual reaction for a lot of players is to reload whenever they fail a roll.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Black Arcane

Black
    There wouldn't be so much whining about dice rolls in dialogue if only Friends actually worked in BG3.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. hell bovine Arcane

hell bovine
    The case is that most players play good characters and it just so happens that saving the tiefling girl is one the toughest checks in the game. So if you want to succeed, you'll likely have to reload quite a few times. And it's at the beginning of the game. Same with the save the goblin prisoner option (though why would you want to save that one...). So people complain, even though in either case you can experience a different version of the story playing out. But people don't want that, they just want easy heroics.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Pretty sure it does right now (unless it's bugged)... but you have to cast it on the character in advance which makes it difficult for when scripted conversations take place before you can get in range to do it.

^ Top  
  6. Black Arcane

Black
    Last time I checked when you have an advantage in dialogue (roll twice, keep higher) the dice is green and it says you're rolling at advantage. Nothing like that happens if you cast Friends.

^ Top  
  7. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Well, they already said that the "cast social spells during dialogues" feature is supposed to be on its way, so that's not really the problem.

Anyway, I think the discussion about 5th Ed. proficiencies being far less influential that they should be for some of this stuff is a fair one.
    And also, YES, I'd be all for an automated pass when the roll is below a certain threshold and/or you are competent enough in that area.

^ Top  
  8. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    would be glorius

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    I wonder if we can come up with a probability-based equivalent to Engagement Attacks, suggest its implementation to Larian, and ruin the final experience for him.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Murk Arcane

Murk
    I remember being able to roll twice in some dialog checks... but I maybe it was inspiration points? It's been a few weeks since I last played so I may be misremembering.

^ Top  
  11. Black Arcane

Black
    Yeah, inspiration lets you roll twice, if you choose to do so, advantage automatically rolls twice and takes the higher result.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    ^ Top  
  12. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    I think I have it. My idea is based on the following criteria (as informed by the engagement mechanic):
    1. Solves a problem that either doesn't exist or doesn't reflect the experience of most people who play the game
    2. Punishes players severely for the slightest infringement of the mechanic
    3. Exacerbates other problems
    The mechanic, that for now I'm calling "Ataraxia": Any time a player fails to meet a skill or ability check by 2 or more points or exceeds the check by 2 or more points, reroll until the roll falls within the aforementioned range (+/-2 of the DC) or rolls a 1. If the PC rolls a 1, this is considered a critical miss and the player will suffer additional consequences as defined by the specific scenario.

The bonus of implementing this mechanic is that the possibility for critical misses will require extra resources to implement.

Sensuki please give me your blessing and let me know if this is the kind of thing that would ruin gameplay.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Swen Learned Shitposter

Swen
    "It's finally here, but was it worth the wait?"

What do these phaggots not understand about early access? They act like it's a legit release even IGN already giving a score, fucking gaming "journalism".

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kirkpatrick Arbiter

Kirkpatrick
    There's no dual-classing in D&D 5, right? And you could multi-class anything into anything? So, barbarian-sorcerer in some weird instance? And you pick and choose which class you advance during level up, so fighter lv. 6/cleric lv. 2 possible?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You can go 1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1 if you want.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    Isn't there a limit of having up to 4 Classes? Or was that a 3.0/3.5 thing?

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    Is this not only for gender?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There's no limit in 5E. I said the 1/1/1/1/1 thing in jest but it's not the worst possible build up to a certain point, especially depending on which class comes after the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Game journos can't pass cuphead tutorial. I an not surprised about then not understanding what EA is.

However, when they gave a high score for DOS2 and criticized pathfinder kingmaker cuz insect swarms require torches, bombs, aoe spells, etc instead of being enemies which can be dealt with fast swinging blades, you praised then. While I said that if game journos consider a game good, is a point AGAINST the game.

They are doing it only to get more "clicks" and ad revenue.

--------------------

However, one critique that can be made against BG3 EA is that other RPG's seems to have way more content for EA. Solasta has far more dungeons and you can reach lv 6 on EA of it. The alpha of PF:WoTR seems to have more content too and is not even beta or EA. The spell fly which devs on stream said that are near impossible to implement, exists in Solasta.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    In what world does Solasta have more content than BG3? Have you been drinking from the toilet, or are we just reducing 'content' to a unit of measurement based on 1 level = 1 content?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    I dunno about Fly being easy to implement

^ Top  
  23. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    So is this shit?

• No No x 7
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Amount of spells, amount of enemies, amount of subclasses, light/darkness, amount of dungeons to explore, length of the dungeons(...) BG3 only lasts long cuz the combat is far slower in animation speed and the fact that enemies has hp bloat.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Black Arcane

Black
    It has the potential of being a giant pile of shit if they don't fix the issues THAT HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE DOS 2

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.