Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Infinitron, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Bara Magister

Bara
    I'd agree but only for the reason that by the creation of the OGL letting they let the genie out of the bottle. From which the older editions will live on forever via retro-clones no longer just bound to the original books.

But 5e's pretty alright not my main meal but its a pretty good as a side dish.

^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Funny x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • No x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
  4. Bah Cipher

Bah
    It does a good job of highlighting how poorly they've thought out their jump implementation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Kleptocratic debt serf Scholar

Kleptocratic debt serf
    ^ I'd rather have a mechanic than can be exploited, which ultimately is up to the player, than a game that has been "balanced" to mitigate all "exploits". How many people are going to play the game, just to break it via speed run/exploit? Why waste any time/resources adjusting something that most people won't exploit?

I don't mind the jump/climbing aspect, as it is necessitated by the games verticality (exploration/ect).

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Just because there is a couple of people out of a million who can break the game, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the game. Speedrunners are a different kind of niche, devs shouldn't base their design around their exploits. I mean, Fallout is not a worse game just because a speedrunner can break it and finish it in 10 minutes.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bah Cipher

Bah
    I specifically said "jump implementation". That doesn't have anything to do with speed running in itself, nor was it a claim that the game is bad.

When jump essentially makes your character invisible, allowing enemies to not see you as you fly over them, the mechanic has a problem. Jump is not stealth, nor should it be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Not if it is balanced for that.

In the best game ever made, the players had invisibility, and invisibility to undead. The undead could see you even if you were invisible and you couldn't use both at the same time so you had to be careful! You could invis and sneak past orcs and wolves and stuff. But then there would be a ghoul or some icebone skeletons or something that could see you, so you had to wait for there to be enough space to remove your invisibility and then use invis vs undead before anything saw you... And that's just before you even got to where you were going. You could also levitate and jump off a roof or something and the enemies would have to go all the way around. And if the worst came to the worst, my guy could pretend to be dead and enemies would stop attacking and go home. And yet everyone died all the time and the game was brutal.

^ Top  
  9. Bah Cipher

Bah
    What part of that video make you believe the game was balanced for that?

^ Top  
  10. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    I have no idea if it is balanced or not, I'm just saying it 'could' be easily balanced. It is far too early for me to care. For all we know they could make it so you become even more visible when you fly instead of invisible. Or they could remove the flying completely. Or make it so you are stunned when you land or whatever.

^ Top  
  11. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Swen Learned Shitposter

Swen
    • Funny x 4
    • Shit x 3
    • Racist x 2
    • honk honk! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth

Modders putted lv 5/6 content into the game before Larian.

I don't care about balance. Fly is extremely cool and should be in the game.

Also, everything that a PC can use, a NPC can use. I wanna fight dragons that can fly. We have great dragon fights in ARPG's like Dragon's Dogma and Gothic 2 - RETURNING(not confuse with vanilla G2), why not finally having great dragon fights on CRPG's topo?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    The real problem with jumping and exploration is the fact that it takes no real skill investment and the AI is too retarded to follow you, making it incredibly tedious.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Self-Ejected
    Worship being actually necessary for a god's power was Ao's decree after the Time of Troubles - that is to say, it's a VERY recent development, some 150 years old.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Mebrilia Liturgist

Mebrilia
    However even in that 5ed changed a lot of things. For example after the second sundering the Gods went from silent to quiet. They do select a few mortals to represent them however they have no more direct connection with the clerics like it was in the 3.5 so a cleric could retain his power even if it does something technically contrary at the divinity it follows. As long he does that believing it was the right thing to serve his god.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. makchanka Learned

makchanka
    BG I and II weren't balanced at all, which is a huge part of what makes them so enduring.

If they'd had a balanced magic system it would have been boring as shit

• Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Mebrilia Liturgist

Mebrilia
    Balancing D&D... Yeah sure :D

^ Top  
  19. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Balanced doesn't have to mean everything the same and boring.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mitleser2020 Novice

Mitleser2020
    Modder must add the Sorcerer armor.

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    ^ That guy's a qt. Needs to show more skin, though.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Gorgeous, reminds me of me.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Why is he dressed up as an Elf. Is this a hint to other gays?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    That was started in Eberron and was basically a nod to the dramaqueen cunts who want to be Evil while putting Lawful Good on their character sheets. Remember that one of the Cardinals of the Church of the Silver Flame (LG deity) is downright Evil.

^ Top  
  25. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    When I read the Avatar series, the impression I got was that the relationship already existed (hence the Greater, Intermediate, Lesser and Demi statuses already existed), but the gods are not as badly affected as they will be when Ao modified the rules. Now, they can actually die, which was a new thing to them. Previously, it was just a measure of prestige and power.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.