Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If these "companions" are so unhappy with how you do things, why do they hang around and complain instead of leaving to do things their own way? Why don't they kick you out of the party, if the others want to solve the tadpole problem in an evil and edgy way?

Quillon

Arcane
If these "companions" are so unhappy with how you do things, why do they hang around and complain instead of leaving to do things their own way? Why don't they kick you out of the party, if the others want to solve the tadpole problem in an evil and edgy way?

Too much additional work to account for every possible scenario.

Slaver1

Savant
It's better than DOS2 but the tone is still too cartoony. My male fighter makes the stupidest faces like he is shitting out a fiery boulder when he speaks to anyone. Every encounter is just tonally off somehow despite being "mature" in places. I do think BG3 has lots of potential but I'm not sure how Larian are going to add "gravity" to their presentation.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Not gonna lie.... The Early access feels more like an rpg than 3 hours of cyberpunk gameplay!

vazha

Arcane
they stop being companions when they are too edgy and confrontative towards pc
The fact that the concept of "agree to disagree" and "we can work together without being friends" is alien to Larian fanbase speaks volumes by itself. Comfort zone gaming, lol.

Efe

Erudite
from what I've seen they dont "agree to disagre". they tell you to "fuck off" in no uncertain terms.
And what you propose would work with temporary characters, not adventuring companions you go on a grand adventure with.

also, vampire that you dont get alogn with? invite him over to camp! what could happen? or evil cleric that don't tell you shit? Surely she means well!

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Something that works to make asshole companions more likable is bringing them down a few notches.

You save Viconia from certain death when you recruit her in both BG1 and BG2.
Edwin has that thing where he gets his sex changed for several in-game weeks.
Morrigan gets humiliated by her mother when you recruit her.

Do the BG3 companions have anything similar?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Most companions in CRPGs are just bored people who want to go on an adventure and you are just the first chance they got.
Your companions in BG3 have actual obligations/plans and only stick with you because they need the tadpole removed ASAP and even a vampire knows that there's strength in numbers.

My biggest issue with that they don't talk enough, it's even possible to miss their content when you rest too little for some reason. I don't know how to trigger their stuff or if it has simply not been implemented but all you know of you supposed companions at the moment that they behave like assholes. I have read from other players and data miners that they have interesting stories but for some reason, I couldn't find those. And then people complain about the unlikeable companions and Larian wanted to improve them and made their reactions more sensible and editing their dialogue but it doesn't fix their main issue.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It certainly makes sense for the BG3 companions to band together to get rid of the tadpole infections. What doesn't make sense is for them to always defer to the PC for decision making. Realistically Lae'zel or Astrarion would take charge of the party if nobody agreed with the PC. If you want to write somewhat realistic "companions" for an RPG where these characters are not allowed to display any real agency of their own, you need to make them at least somewhat deferential/sycophantic by nature.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had zero problems with the NPCs being particularily confrontative in dialogue. I think it is interesting when they challenge my decision making.

I think the bigger problem for everyone scarred from rude npcs (c'mon ppl) was that they all have very similar values. So when you do something one disagrees with often everyone disagrees, and noone backs you up. Also the UI prompt for reputation change is very intrusive for how little it does in the game, and there being no clear values attached to the rep loss makes it feel worse than it is.

Getting [Pic related] on every dialogue choice can get old fast.
1YSFF3A.jpg

But that will naturaly get better as NPCs of more alignments get introduced. And maybe they spice up the UI for reputation loss a bit aswell. Rewrites for this are excessive and a waste of good budget and writer time.

Efe

Erudite
good point and maybe problem also lies with larian's everyone is a protagonist approach.
they should be somewhat compatible as characters. ıts not jsut rudeness, like astarion tries to kill you and you are forced to take it as is? are you roleplaying a cuck or what? you are together to fix tadpoles. asking a healers opinion causes negative reaction. what the fuck shadowheart?

These are very shitty for a game of this budget.

Delterius

Arcane
I wish I was the narrator lady. Imagine, cracking into laughter every time you get into the dubbing booth to read about a tadpole fuccboi elf's phantom fingers going up and down some rando lady's legs.

Efe

Erudite
and what does the grumpy sheriff think about companions so far? or the fact that they are getting changed after community grumbling?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Talk about the companions, talk about the companions' races, talk about the companions' companions' races for all I care -- but do so as it relates the the actual game, please.

Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom