Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hellbent

Augur
Oh, I remember just one thing - my companions, all of them, tried to fuck me in my camp after defeating goblin chieftan and rescueing tieflings.

Wait, so you mean that mage didn't just want to share a cup of wine with me? I...I feel dirty.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Only thing I remember is Shadowhearts weird ass "SHTAAP!" when you meet her at that door on the beach.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since this came up in Solasta's thread - did they remove combat maneuvers as bonus actions for everyone yet?

Are they planning on changing anything that isn't the writing of the waifus?
Well, who the hell knows.
It's hard to tell, given that they never seem to address what they are going to do next in their updates.
What we know so far it's just that we'll allegedly get a "bigger" update in January, next. no clue on the content.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I suppose it's good we can mod the rules however we wish. Hopefully they don't hardcode anything dumb like they did in D:OS2.

I was being somewhat unfair saying they didn't change a thing.
They DID change how cantrips work, removing the DOT/surface effects, as people asked them to.

i just hope that's not going to be the full extent of their concessions to the community, because quite frankly it was also one of the issues I cared the least about.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Firebolt spam is already pretty powerful bordering on op in the first place, adding a surface AND a burning effect on it is just garbage design.

Firebolt spam is already pretty powerful bordering on op in the first place, adding a surface AND a burning effect on it is just garbage design.
It also came at the price of nerfing the base damage by 40% (given it went from 1d10 damage to 1d6 damage plus DOT).
If you ask me, firebolts are arguably more powerful now that they fit the ruleset, at least in terms of burst damage (which is often what really matters).

Still, you won't hear me complain about having less DOTs and surfaces in the game, that's for sure.
It's just that I didn't really give a damn about it, compared to other more fundamental flaws.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It also came at the price of nerfing the base damage by 40% (given it went from 1d10 damage to 1d6 damage plus DOT).
If you ask me, firebolts are arguably more powerful now that they fit the ruleset, at least in terms of burst damage (which is often what really matters).

Still, you won't hear me complain about having less DOTs and surfaces in the game, that's for sure.
It's just that I didn't really give a damn about it, compared to other more fundamental flaws.
It's stronger for the player since the nerfed AC and buffed HP Larian has given NPCs means that you're going to hit most of the time and benefit from the higher base damage. But it's weaker for enemies since a clever player would have high AC and play smart to make it hard for enemies to hit, but the surface damage meant that you'd take damage when targeted by firebolt no matter what you do, often forcing a concentration check for casters.

I agree it's not the biggest problem in the game, but was a good example of how the devs didn't really understand D&D and were instead trying to make Divinity: Forgotten Realms.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

There's a glorious, wonderful party in town this Christmas and our team would like to invite you to become a mind flayer!

Please enjoy this Christmas song performed by the Larian team and sing along with us!
~~~~~~~~
Glorious, wonderful party in town
We'll all be burning Baldur's Gate down!
Give me your brain and lets fly together!
You'll become cool, a brand new Mind flayer.
Tadpole for you and Tadpole for me,
The Holidays are here - the parasites for free!
~~~~~~~~
Happy Holidays from Larian Studios.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
People ask me all the time why it's such a big deal that larian is making baldurs gate 3. In 6 months baldurs gate will be synonymous with bad larian writing, elemental puddle gameplay, and whatever the fuck that video was. It's fine though. I've found a new favorite series and have disassociated myself with baldurs gate before things get too bad. Wouldn't want people thinking I'm a bg fan after larian is through with it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
People ask me all the time why it's such a big deal that larian is making baldurs gate 3. In 6 months baldurs gate will be synonymous with bad larian writing, elemental puddle gameplay, and whatever the fuck that video was. It's fine though. I've found a new favorite series and have disassociated myself with baldurs gate before things get too bad. Wouldn't want people thinking I'm a bg fan after larian is through with it.

Like people associate fallout with BUGthesda's games? Or associate neverwinter with the generic wow clone and not nwn1/2?

Harthwain

Magister
Or associate neverwinter with the generic wow clone and not nwn1/2?
NWN1 was designed to be an MMO:

Neverwinter Nights is set in the fantasy world of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, with the game mechanics based on the Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition rules. The game engine was designed around an Internet-based model for running a massively multiplayer online game (MMOG), which would allow end users to host game servers. Up to 64 players could connect to a single server. The intent was to create a potentially infinite massively multiplayer game framework. This game was named after the original Neverwinter Nights online game, the first graphical massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), which operated from 1991 to 1997 on AOL.

Robber Baron

Savant

There's a glorious, wonderful party in town this Christmas and our team would like to invite you to become a mind flayer!
Please enjoy this Christmas song performed by the Larian team and sing along with us!
~~~~~~~~
Glorious, wonderful party in town
We'll all be burning Baldur's Gate down!
Give me your brain and lets fly together!
You'll become cool, a brand new Mind flayer.
Tadpole for you and Tadpole for me,
The Holidays are here - the parasites for free!
~~~~~~~~
Happy Holidays from Larian Studios.

Belgium HIV clinics Christmas songs when

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
NWN1 was designed to be an MMO:

Not every mmo is a wow clone. Neverwinter, from 1991 is not a wow clone. When I mean wow clone, think in a ""RPG"" where everyone is the same character, has his strength and intelligence 100% determined by how carnavalesque his pants and boots are, and the game is just managing cooldown to farm gear 24/7 in a low lethality game.

Harthwain

Magister
Not every mmo is a wow clone. Neverwinter, from 1991 is not a wow clone. When I mean wow clone, think in a ""RPG"" where everyone is the same character, has his strength and intelligence 100% determined by how carnavalesque his pants and boots are, and the game is just managing cooldown to farm gear 24/7 in a low lethality game.
You're not wrong, but NWN1 is still a very generic game with MMO-like structure in its own right. Just wanted to point that out.

The reason why Neverwinter 2013 is associated with World of Warcraft (and not with NWN1 or 2) is very simple - it IS a WoW clone:

neverwinter-review-3.jpg
It's also the most recent game of the bunch and it being a WoW clone makes for a much stronger and familiar reference point for most people. Especially when a game's release date is approaching 20 years (NWN1). At this point it's ancient history - in gaming - and you shouldn't expect too many people to remember it.

By the way, I am surprised that developers (in general) to this day don't get that making your own thing is going to produce better results than trying to copy-paste someone else's design, if you try to carve out your own niche.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom