Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Takamori

Learned
So what's the overall take on the game? Good, bad, indifferent?
There is some tumblr tier fanfic shit rolling but at least im numb with that sort of stuff, I tend to ignore. But like Lawn said, the quests are very open so thats incline in general.
My personal concern is the implementation of 5e rules and character creation in the current state is very raw and we have no transparency from Larian side on their ideias on how to implement it.

There is some tumblr tier fanfic shit rolling but at least im numb with that sort of stuff, I tend to ignore. But like Lawn said, the quests are very open so thats incline in general.
My personal concern is the implementation of 5e rules and character creation in the current state is very raw and we have no transparency from Larian side on their ideias on how to implement it.

Hmm..I'm not quite immune to that kind of BS or NuPolitics... So I'll probably never touch this.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
is the implementation of 5e rules and character creation in the current state is very RAW

I wish.

:negative:

Killing the joke: In 5e RAW for rules as written means that you play your adventure exactly by the book, enforcing every rule to its extreme. It is often opposed to Rules as Intended, where you give small leeway and ignore retarded rules like the loading restrictions on hand crossbows when their consequences are obviously not intended. Rule of cool is ignoring every rule when you think you know better.

Gargaune

Magister
Don't forget about the Toilet Chain controls. Beyond everything, that's my biggest concern with the game after EA and it doesn't look like Larian are willing to take feedback in this regard.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do you think they will do something akin to NWN with this game and stay on it very long, releasing new class options and campaigns for the engine? Or return to DOS 3 after it? Or make a completely new DnD game?

I got myself Tasha's Cauldron, and the rules in that are amazing. Apart from a few broken shenanigans like Peace and Twilight Cleric and my eternal nemesis Bladesinger the rules are smooth, and there is a lot of stuff I would like to try digitally.

It depends on the level cap. If it's 10 in BG3
We know for a fact that it will be at least 11, given that they originally announced the intent to cap at level 10 and then subsequently declared that "Plans changed because it turned out they are building way more content than originally planned".

Do you think they will do something akin to NWN with this game and stay on it very long, releasing new class options and campaigns for the engine?
I would normally expect so, but it's hard to tell with them, given that Larian never released a single DLC or expansion pack for ANY of their past titles.
Their track record shows that the only times they went back to their titles, it was always just to release some type of "definitive edition" as free update (Divinity 2 and DOS 1 and 2).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you think they will do something akin to NWN with this game and stay on it very long, releasing new class options and campaigns for the engine? Or return to DOS 3 after it? Or make a completely new DnD game?

I got myself Tasha's Cauldron, and the rules in that are amazing. Apart from a few broken shenanigans like Peace and Twilight Cleric and my eternal nemesis Bladesinger the rules are smooth, and there is a lot of stuff I would like to try digitally.
Larian don't have a track record of releasing DLC, though. At least not meaty content DLC like classes and campaigns. The gift bags in D:OS2 don't really count.

We know for a fact that it will be at least 11, given that they originally announced the intent to cap at level 10 and then subsequently declared that "Plans changed because it turned out they are building way more content than originally planned".
We'll see then. 3 levels in Rogue don't sound bad due to cunning action even with a higher level cap. Well, unless they don't remove cunning action for everyone, but I intend to mod that shit out anyway.

Harthwain

Magister

Do you think they will do something akin to NWN with this game and stay on it very long, releasing new class options and campaigns for the engine?
I would normally expect so, but it's hard to tell with them, given that Larian never released a single DLC or expansion pack for ANY of their past titles.
Their track record shows that the only times they went back to their titles, it was always just to release some type of "definitive edition" as free update (Divinity 2 and DOS 1 and 2).
Honestly, that sounds like an incline to me. Adding more content than planned? No paid DLCs? Definitive Edition being a free (and toggleable) update?

Codex Year of the Donut
Those re-releases typically have enough content for multiple DLCs in any other games.
DOS2's even included a massive rework of the final act.

Honestly, that sounds like an incline to me. Adding more content than planned? No paid DLCs? Definitive Edition being a free (and toggleable) update?
I wasn't complaining, just pointing at a plain fact: Larian has no history of going back to develop/sell additional content for their previous releases.
Well, if not in the form of the already mentioned "enhanced/definitive editions", usually in correspondence with some type of re-release (i.e. the launch of a console version etc).

Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean they won't start doing it for BG3.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
SO WHERE'S THE DAY AND NIGHT CYCLES???
We already established the answer to this back in March, in the predecessor to the current BG3 thread:

The Consolidated Codex Consensus Process has arrived at three important conclusions:
  • Larian should drop the "III" from the title and simply call the new game "Baldur's Gate", as this is more respectful to its predecessors and will avoid confusion.
  • A day/night cycle is too complicated to add despite it having been part of both real-time and turn-based CRPGs since the 1980s.
  • The group of romanceable companions should be expanded to include a giff.

BXhpmKx.png

Yosharian

Arcane
Videogames... sigh. What the fuck happened, man. I had such dreams. 'Gaming will be incredible in 2020!' I thought to myself, all those years ago.

Instead we got Fortnite and fucking Cyberbug 2077, and the sequel to Baldur's Gate is being made by people who think cheese is funny. Kill me now

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Videogames... sigh. What the fuck happened, man. I had such dreams. 'Gaming will be incredible in 2020!' I thought to myself, all those years ago.

Instead we got Fortnite and fucking Cyberbug 2077, and the sequel to Baldur's Gate is being made by people who think cheese is funny. Kill me now

My first RPG was might & magic VII - for blood and honor. I was expecting that the future will have detailed physics for firearms, archery and spells, thousands and thousands of weird things to chose, advanced AI capable of talking in text to the players, scenario destruction, realistic graphics, weather effects affecting armor and long range weaponry/spells and .... We got dialog wheels, repetitiveness cooldown managing/gear farming gameplay loop, bows that can't hit a elephant at 14m and carnavalesque nonsensical armor... And hence spend most of my free time playing (g)old games.

BG3 is a decent game if compared to modern games, and a great masterpiece if compared to recent AAA games, but still extremely inferior compared to BG2. Mostly due :
  • Larian homebrew stuff - disengage as a bonus action, hp bloat, etc
  • Inferior ruleset - 2e is the best D&D ruleset.
  • Modern politically correctness messing with the story
  • Dungeons & kobold aka low level in gameplay but mid to high level on theme
Serious guys. When I reached underdark on BG2, I was lv 14 with my main char and on ch 5. You enter in the underdark on ch 1 of BG3 and escape a mindflayer spelljammer ship at ch 1/lv1. On Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager, this mindflayers was a pain in the ****. Lv 1 chars escaping then is awful.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

On the plus side, 2020 granted us two wonderful "SRPGs", one from Korea and one from France, which were voted the Codex's #3 and #4 CRPGs of the year.

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

7duqac.jpg

Anonona

Learned
SO WHERE'S THE DAY AND NIGHT CYCLES???
A day/night cycle is too complicated to add despite it having been part of both real-time and turn-based CRPGs since the 1980s.

I think the lack of day and night cycle may actually be a design decision seeng how they are handling the tadpole and its effects on the game. It seems that Larian wanted to create a sense of urgency on the player but without sacrificing exploration. So instead of relying on time limits to avoid forcing players to rush through, the focused instead on resource management to create this sense of urgency. Each time you do a long rest, a day passess, and this makes certain quest change while also probably having an effect on what the tadpole does to you. So in this manner the lenght of a day relays on how good the player manages his resources, letting players explore at their pace and forcing them to consider taking or avoiding certain risks as to not having to do a long rest after.

Also, if what I say is right, then making day and night cycles but having long rest being what defines how fast the tadpole advanced would have look quite silly, as you character can stand in place for days and nothing would happen.

Another reason could be about the level design and the focus on stealth mechanics. It seems to me that when designing the levels they may have taken a more careful approach, perhaps similar to a stealth game, specially seing as how shadows play a big part on stealth now, similar to games like Splinter Cell. So they may prefered more carefully crafted levels with well define challenges and opportunities to go stealthy rather than a day and night cycle. Of course they could have actually done both, which would have been very interesting, specially if enemies changed at night.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Uh... Anyone know where I can find Halsin in my camp?

Decided to come back to the EA and wrap up, and I already rescued the druid, my journal says he'll meet me in camp, but I don't see him anywhere. I only killed Priestess Gut in the goblin stronghold, not Dror whatever and the drow, but my Save the Refugees quest is already complete since I sided with the elf and she closed off the grove. Halsin was all broken up about it, but he still said he'd meet me in my camp to discuss the tadpoles. Volo showed up, but no druid.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Uh... Anyone know where I can find Halsin in my camp?

Decided to come back to the EA and wrap up, and I already rescued the druid, my journal says he'll meet me in camp, but I don't see him anywhere. I only killed Priestess Gut in the goblin stronghold, not Dror whatever and the drow, but my Save the Refugees quest is already complete since I sided with the elf and she closed off the grove. Halsin was all broken up about it, but he still said he'd meet me in my camp to discuss the tadpoles. Volo showed up, but no druid.

He should be at the most western part of that map (somewhat to the south). He's standing by a weird cage. On the mini-map, he's a green dot, if that helps.
https://imgur.com/D7DzNI7

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Horrible. Crime against art. Shouldn't exist. larian ineptitude strikes again.

BG3 is a decent game if compared to modern games, and a great masterpiece if compared to recent AAA games
If this is the best recent AAA games can offer, at what point do we all just stop playing any AAA games? If anyone is relying on larian to be the savior of video games then we should make a list of them and check on them daily to see if they haven't given up on life yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom