Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Robber Baron

Savant
U sure you're not confusing charisma with boobs or just thinking with your dick or smthing?

What's wrong with thinking with your dick. If a character is written so good you get a boner while reading its lines - an achievment in itself

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looks like there's some ghost talking implementation. Is it anywhere near as extensive as Arcanum?
Of course it has one, since DOS2 did. and of course its shallow, since its Larian.
Yeah ,dos2 was filled with such gimmicks. In the first act you could use your special skill to heal a few people and then the game never acknowledge that you could do it. later on you could talk to spirits for a chapter and then never use it again.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Have you guys ever wondered what Githyaki pussy juice tastes like? *sniiiiiiffffffffffff*

fEgN64C.png

this list is incomplete, please help expand the list

Dudes, come on, it's not like BG/II had the greatest writing ever, or even remarkable writing.

What we were lucky that BG/II didn't have, thanks to technical limitations was that their mediocre writing was not being shoved in our faces constantly with retarded animations and voiceovers. Also, we were too young to notice how corny it was, especially for those who are not native English speakers.

What, you didn't enjoy solving the riddle of the talking chicken? Or getting rid of the dude who constantly interrupted you by initiating dialogue?

In principle I agree, but at least Irenicus delivered some muahaha monologue while torturing you. This drag cthulhu just shoves his worm in your eye and flies away. Did the writers spend all their attention on copying the Arcanum intro?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In principle I agree, but at least Irenicus delivered some muahaha monologue while torturing you. This drag cthulhu just shoves his worm in your eye and flies away. Did the writers spend all their attention on copying the Arcanum intro?

Well, at least you get a hilarious scene with cthulhu guy. When you both look at each and realize you both are fucked because you will soon splatter against the mountains.

Gargaune

Magister
So, this game is BG3 in name only, isn't it?
Oh, no, the thread split... All my valuable "it's not Baldur's Gate" posts! I shall have to do it all over again, and then once more after Early Access ends!

:negative:

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I watched some gameplay videos and I predict that the githnose girls is gonna be the best character.

Btw, how can this be DOS2.5 if the armor mechanic is gone and initiative is fixed?
Thats already not DOS2.5...

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I watched some gameplay videos and I predict that the githnose girls is gonna be the best character.

Btw, how can this be DOS2.5 if the armor mechanic is gone and initiative is fixed?
Thats already not DOS2.5...
It's not anything like D:OS, that won't stop edgy dumbfucks from spouting that meme though.

Robber Baron

Savant
It's not anything like D:OS

It's the renderer/shaders that DoS games share with BG3 along with UI design philosophy. Honestly considering that similarity spreads even up to the menu logic and layout, I'd say the game started as a separate DoS2 build that was expanded upon.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Just saw a scene on stream that seemed to imply that something about the brainworm can awaken extra powers (mimicking the "new power each chapter" of Baldur's Gate perhaps?).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just saw a scene on stream that seemed to imply that something about the brainworm can awaken extra powers (mimicking the "new power each chapter" of Baldur's Gate perhaps?).
More like mimicking the source abilities in Divinity OS. I thought they'd be ways for party members to link with each other, but in reality they are like ultimate abilities for the character. Gay-vampire-rogue-politician-man has a smoke bomb. How exactly being able to link into the hivemind allows you to create a smoke bomb isn't very intuitive to me.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I watching a stream for this game and didn't quite understand how the Long Rest and Short Rest work because it seems both are infinite without any penalty or time limit.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I watching a stream for this game and didn't quite understand how the Long Rest and Short Rest work because it seems both are infinite without any penalty or time limit.

Were there any limits on resting in BG 1/2? Only a handful of quests were on a time limit...

In any case, in the PnP a short rest lasts 1 hour, a long rest is 8 hours.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmmh, 4 hours in, mixed opinions so far.

Mechanically a lot is very faithfull, which is nice. They nerfed firebolt significantly and grafted their gay surface system onto it, but that cantrip was an autochoice before so ok.
Mirror Image change is odd, it got a lot weaker for pure mages and a lot better for any sort of hybrid/high AC playstyle. Meh, but still a good spell.
A lot of spells missing which I would like to see still.
My biggest gripe mechanically is push on a bonus action. It makes the Battlemaster pushing attack hilariously redundant and it makes it so that your ranged doods are never really threatened in melee. Just push your enemy away, then do your ranged attack and walk away. I think I am gonna complain about that to them later. I see no benefit from the change.

Still that is a rather small complaint. Combat is good, very very lethal and yet still fair. The AI plays pretty ruthless, has no qualms about trying to kill downed allies. Game is quite easy, even with the unoptimised mess that are your default companions. A +3 Cha Warlock with agonizing blast massacres all early game threats.
Generally combat is rare, a lot of talking and puzzle solving and general rpg shit inbetween.

Magic items are very common, and tiered with colour rarity. This is kind of aids and goes against the whole ethos of DnD, but it will be impossible to change their minds on that. At least most enchantments are fittingly small in impact, gloves giving +1 Athletics or inflicting curse on enemies on hit as an example. Too early to tell if itemisation will be as shit as in the DOS games, but it sure as hell won't be as good as in BG and IWD.

Dialogue, skill checks and stuff are okayish. Checks are rolled often and to great effect, and succeeding or losing has great effect. But you can not see the DC of a check before attempting to roll. So you might see attempt to investigate or insight, you try insight because your bonus is +2 instead of +1, but the DC is 5 points higher.
Also the game does not automatically use the check that is highest in your team. This is incredibly cancer and I really hope they change it. Currently you run into the situation, see you can only roll arcana here, back out again if the game lets you, restart it with the wizard and then roll arcana.
Feels incredibly unintuitive and clunky, in a game that is ultra unintuitive by default due to a lot of shitty UI grandfathered in from DOS2.

Also some DCs and decision paths absolutely have to be redone by someone with a basic grasp of stochastic.
In the early game you get poisoned. Convincing the healer to give you the antidote are three DC 11 cha checks in a row. 12% success chance for someone untrained, and less than 50% success chance for someone with the maximum possible starting persuasion of +5. And it even tests Persuasion and Deception, making it harder still to get the antidote peacefully. I doubt that way is supposed to be so hard, they just didn't calculate how much harder making to succeed three times makes the check.

Overall it feels like a much better game than both DOS games, thankfully. But there is a lot of stuff in there that I really would like to see overhauled, so that this game may become worthy of wielding the name of BG without getting collective cringe like Siege of Dragonspear.

I think I am gonna start complaining to Larian about push on a bonus action and use highest team skill by default first, those are needed changes. Maybe something bigger comes up.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
A short rest doesn't seem to have any impact, a "long rest" has the flavor text of being done for the day and going somewhere else to spend the night, so a full night's sleep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom