Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
In PnP as a player, you don't know whether there's going to even be a check in most situations. You also don't know what your goal roll is ever, you just know whether you succeed or fail.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Magic items are very common, and tiered with colour rarity.
Hype felt good while it lasted. Gonna wait for cyberdunk.

TOS1Wxo.jpg

This guy is in the first dungeon you visit, at level 2. But I think its the only magical item I've found at all there.
Unless talking with the dead will be an important part of the first act I imagine speaking with corpses is mostly just going to be for random flavour/worldbuilding dialogue

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Then you'll probably enjoy uncontaminated by previous games experience. Maybe you're the only person who is going to judge BG3 as BG3 not as DOS3.
I had the weirdest experience with DOS2. I went from really liking it, to really hating it as time went on. Which is strangely enough, the exact opposite of my reaction to Kingmaker.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Then you'll probably enjoy uncontaminated by previous games experience. Maybe you're the only person who is going to judge BG3 as BG3 not as DOS3.
I had the weirdest experience with DOS2. I went from really liking it, to really hating it as time went on. Which is strangely enough, the exact opposite of my reaction to Kingmaker.
To be fair Fort Joy and its escape are probablly the game's peak quality wise. One thing I noticed about Larian games is that they start decent, even good sometimes but the quality drops from a cliff as you get farther in, in pretty much all aspects from story to level design to how their gameplay systems crumble super hard at high level.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm beyond surprised that they put in ranger, easily the least popular class in the game, in EA over options such as barbarian, paladin and sorcerer.

Rangers are put in because they're a girl class. Girls love to be the ranger. They're not quite confident enough for frontline assaults like a Fighter, they're not quite intelligent enough to know how Wizards work, they likely run into traps so Rogue is out of the question. What do you got? Rangers. It's a perfect balance of independent "I ain't yo healin' hoe" and friendliness as well as being able to list their favored enemy as their dad or another rapist in their family.

A Sorcerer is too much for their silly little brains to handle, a Barbarian is what they want to get fucked by not actually play and a Paladin is out of the question because most of the 5E crowd are godless sodomites.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Magic items are very common, and tiered with colour rarity. This is kind of aids and goes against the whole ethos of DnD, but it will be impossible to change their minds on that. At least most enchantments are fittingly small in impact, gloves giving +1 Athletics or inflicting curse on enemies on hit as an example. Too early to tell if itemisation will be as shit as in the DOS games, but it sure as hell won't be as good as in BG and IWD.
I hated that in D:OS, skills in character progression practically didn't mater, what mattered was your money bag. Frankly how can an armor give + on something unrelated.

Also the game does not automatically use the check that is highest in your team.
That shouldn't matter, as long as other party members can try that as well. And when they try something as a group, they should use special rules and say characters are trying it as a group.

Also some DCs and decision paths absolutely have to be redone by someone with a basic grasp of stochastic.
In the early game you get poisoned. Convincing the healer to give you the antidote are three DC 11 cha checks in a row. 12% success chance for someone untrained, and less than 50% success chance for someone with the maximum possible starting persuasion of +5. And it even tests Persuasion and Deception, making it harder still to get the antidote peacefully. I doubt that way is supposed to be so hard, they just didn't calculate how much harder making to succeed three times makes the check.
I'm pretty sure they wanted to force player into some kill. The problems is load save procedure that allow to redo check.

I think I am gonna start complaining to Larian about push on a bonus action and use highest team skill by default first, those are needed changes. Maybe something bigger comes up.
Push should be contested action.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm beyond surprised that they put in ranger, easily the least popular class in the game, in EA over options such as barbarian, paladin and sorcerer.

Rangers are put in because they're a girl class. Girls love to be the ranger. They're not quite confident enough for frontline assaults like a Fighter, they're not quite intelligent enough to know how Wizards work, they likely run into traps so Rogue is out of the question. What do you got? Rangers. It's a perfect balance of independent "I ain't yo healin' hoe" and friendliness as well as being able to list their favored enemy as their dad or another rapist in their family.

A Sorcerer is too much for their silly little brains to handle, a Barbarian is what they want to get fucked by not actually play and a Paladin is out of the question because most of the 5E crowd are godless sodomites.

This makes... a hell of a lot of sense, sadly.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

This makes... a hell of a lot of sense, sadly.

Uuuh, the classes I have seen women play most oftenly are Druid and Ranger.
Ranged Gish style characters seem to be played much by them in general.

I can't find any statistics atm but that might actually not be too off the mark on the reasons for ranger inclusion.

Thonius

Arcane
Worst of all it's the only class available in EA that's not taken by any companion. They added Ranger but did not bothered with Druid who could've been cool MC.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I'm having a similar experience. Struggling to find motivation to keep playing it after I just got to Arc City(sp?).

Generic-Giant-Spider

But arent many of them white knight cucks, wouldnt that crowd flock towards paladins.

In a just society, in the days of yore, yes. But because the modern day white knight is also a heathen that is strictly prohibited from entering any Holy ground unless it is for confession the white knight of today will most likely flock to a degenerate class such as Bard. The whimsical, romantic, and lovable Bard that steals hearts with a song and a smile is what they see themselves as.

Of course the white knight cuck, AKA the Bard, will be singing tales of legend as soon as a dashing Swashbuckler chad enters the midst or a Barbarian bro swoops in to decapitate most monsters in a single cleave which will make the Ranger Girl's loins quake with base ecstasy.

Ninjerk

Arcane
But arent many of them white knight cucks, wouldnt that crowd flock towards paladins.
Pretty much anyone that could define themselves along x pill or x cel lines. Rigid, dogmatic thinking who organize themselves into orders and spend more time debating theories in their echo chambers than testing them on reality. The white knight cucks would just be Knights of the Blue Tablet that must come to the aid of females no matter what.

Robber Baron

Savant
So what happens when you play 4 player coop and Laezel autojoins you in the beginning? She joins as a guest or smth?

Thonius

Arcane
Yeah, Larian tend to front load ( Who does not atm? Anyone member good late game? Unbuggy, good, not a chore to march trough?) so if that's their front loading I dread to see what's expect us later in the game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So right away here's what I'd change about BG3.

When you load the game up you're greeted by Swen reading a book by a lit fireplace, the book is the Necronomicon in case you're wondering, and he seems caught off guard when he notices the camera. He bids you a good evening like Alfred Hitchcock and takes off his glasses to lurch forward and welcome you to John Romero's Baldur's Gate III and he hopes you will have a fun time. He introduces himself as your narrator for the upcoming epic storyline that will involve mindflayers, tadpoles, mindflayers and tadpoles, sex with Shadowheart, sex with Shadowheart while a tadpole directs you how to do it, and all the barrel exploding action you can handle.

He gets up from his seat and continues outlining what to expect of the early access while lifting in a big potato sack bag crudely marked with a sharpie as, "Josh Sawyer's Dreams" and throwing it into the fire. Bad CGI spirits come flushing out of it but they are treated nonchalantly by Swen who proceeds to light a pipe and open a door, inviting you to walk with him. The camera goes through the blackness and the title screen is hit.

More will come as I actually, like, play this game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

degenerate class such as Bard.

Degeneracy or no, there is a case to be made that bard builds can be some of the most OP single-class combat builds currently in 5e. Lore bards are straight up insane after a certain level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom