Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Look buddy, I actually let spiders run around in my place, as it keeps women away, but if you keep being this impertinent I might actually squash you and replace you with a woman. Shit is funny once but then you have to change tonality a little. Don't fucking get comfortable

At any rate, the reception to this Total Garbâge game seems lukewarm at best - a good sign, perhaps?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Look buddy, I actually let spiders run around in my place, as it keeps women away, but if you keep being this impertinent I might actually squash you and replace you with a woman. Shit is funny once but then you have to change tonality a little. Don't fucking get comfortable

At any rate, the reception to this Total Garbâge game seems lukewarm at best - a good sign, perhaps?

Honestly, from skimming this thread, it seems like the codex is actually warming up to the game. Especially the adherence to 5e in combat.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Then you'll probably enjoy uncontaminated by previous games experience. Maybe you're the only person who is going to judge BG3 as BG3 not as DOS3.
I had the weirdest experience with DOS2. I went from really liking it, to really hating it as time went on. Which is strangely enough, the exact opposite of my reaction to Kingmaker.

I tried to finish this game four fucking times either in solo or coop, but never managed to do so. This game, like you said, starts really strong, but then the HP bloat, the shitty itemization, the slog of a story, and the balance really start to shit up your experience, until you finally decide to quit mid or end act 2. I certainly will avoid DiV3 like the plague, if they ever decide to make another game in this series.

The itemization has a lot to do with the DOS games falling off, for me.

The D:OS games have bleh itemization and the Pillars games have you reach level cap very early.

This is one of the reasons Kingmaker will be looked back upon as the GOAT

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there much to talk about this game, though? We've been playing it for years, it's called 5E. We know how it's going to play. The only thing remaining is the content. We have also seen a lot of that when Swen played it. How long is the EA? Has someone finished it yet? How are the encounters? Exploration?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Uuuh, the classes I have seen women play most oftenly are Druid and Ranger.
hm in my experience I've seen very little druids, and a ranger, but girl made a male ranger with 5 o clock shadow who said "blyat" a lot.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
I want to make a Drow but I don't want the Codex to think I'm a beta bitch.

That's right, better make a dwarf!

SazbASZ.png

Magic items are very common, and tiered with colour rarity.
oh for fuck's sake

The itemisation was probably the one thing I was looking forward to from the ruleset.

Fuck sakes Larian.

They just couldn't help themselves.
Every vendor in the first level 2 "city" sells at least one +1 magical item. Prices are low enough that I could buy one in the first hour, if I sell all the space grenades I got from the tutorial.
Also I already found one dose of a very potent poison, which shows off as blue rarity in my inventory. They probably made +1 and equal power enchantments green, +2 blue and +3 red. Stronger orange or so.
Utter decline, but if they put so much work into this shit they sure as hell are not gonna remove rarity now.
At least most magic items are just cute, like a staff that allows you to cast create water, a noncombat spell, for free.

Sounds pure decline. Magic items are meant to be even rarer in 5e than older editions, a +1 weapon is supposed to be a powerful treasure at low levels not something thrown around willy nilly.

I was really hoping Larian would restrain themselves this time round.

I knew they would not be able to control themselves, Larian has no restraint at all, they are completely invulnerable to the idea. To them more is always better and always funnier then less. If something is funny said once, saying it 10 times is 10 times as funny. If something is exciting one time, well imagine how exciting it would be 18 times? Its how an autist calculates humor and fun, and misinterprets both in doing so.

Larian is like your fat spastic nerd friend you stupidly decide to bring with you to the popular kids party in HS because you felt bad about leaving him alone on Friday night. Before you arrive to the party you implore him not to start talking about ewoks, comic book collecting, etc while at the party. But eventually he can't control himself, everything reminds him of star wars and D&D sessions, and he can't wait to share this with people. Eventually you manage to both casually and naturally make your way into a group of people talking, two of which include some hot girls you would like to try and get to know, but alas something sets him off. One of the girls looks to him like a comic-con cosplay girl he is infatuated with (the only thing actually similar is they are both girls, its likely almost any girl would have triggered this reaction) and he can't wait to share this with the group, and so it begins--the spaz out.

Enthusiastically, in a high squeaking voice that is both inappropriately loud and demonstrative he starts talking about how much one of the girls reminds him of the hot cos-play chick that he saw at a comic book convention dressed up as a furry fox with 3 tails; he likely truly believes this will be a big compliment. Spittle is flying and jowls flapping as he conveys that he also owns some kitsune action figures and dolls and he continues on about how excited he is to be able to role-play as a hot fox/human hybrid girl with 3 tails in an upcoming D&D computer game......

And so 2.5 of the longest minutes you have ever endured later and the damage is done. The girls looked on in bewilderment and mostly had no idea what he had been talking about. They just heard a bunch of nerd words-- but one thing is for sure, you are now tainted, a big red tattoo reading 'unfuckable' might as well be branded across both of your foreheads..... thanks again Larian.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
He gets up from his seat and continues outlining what to expect of the early access while lifting in a big potato sack bag crudely marked with a sharpie as, "Josh Sawyer's Dreams" and throwing it into the fire

Indeed.

Poor Josh tried and failed twice whereas Swen just shits out a lolrandom D:OS fan-fiction mod with even worse writing and sold millions on the first day. Must sting.

Thonius

Arcane
И
But arent many of them white knight cucks, wouldnt that crowd flock towards paladins.

degenerate class such as Bard.

Degeneracy or no, there is a case to be made that bard builds can be some of the most OP single-class combat builds currently in 5e. Lore bards are straight up insane after a certain level.
Kingmaker made me realize bards are actually good class for vidia. Great force multiplier. Also bards are literally Chads from meme.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
He gets up from his seat and continues outlining what to expect of the early access while lifting in a big potato sack bag crudely marked with a sharpie as, "Josh Sawyer's Dreams" and throwing it into the fire

Indeed.

Poor Josh tried and failed twice whereas Swen just shits out a lolrandom D:OS fan-fiction mod with even worse writing and sold millions on the first day. Must sting.
I think nothing can sting more than some random Russians creating a game more faithful to BG and outselling his baby.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm beyond surprised that they put in ranger, easily the least popular class in the game, in EA over options such as barbarian, paladin and sorcerer.

Rangers are put in because they're a girl class. Girls love to be the ranger. They're not quite confident enough for frontline assaults like a Fighter, they're not quite intelligent enough to know how Wizards work, they likely run into traps so Rogue is out of the question. What do you got? Rangers. It's a perfect balance of independent "I ain't yo healin' hoe" and friendliness as well as being able to list their favored enemy as their dad or another rapist in their family.

A Sorcerer is too much for their silly little brains to handle, a Barbarian is what they want to get fucked by not actually play and a Paladin is out of the question because most of the 5E crowd are godless sodomites.

This makes... a hell of a lot of sense, sadly.

Uuuh, the classes I have seen women play most oftenly are Druid and Ranger.
Ranged Gish style characters seem to be played much by them in general.

I can't find any statistics atm but that might actually not be too off the mark on the reasons for ranger inclusion.
Lots of girls played elf archers in lineage 2, both light and dark. I think only dorf lolis were more popular.

Ninjerk

Arcane
И
But arent many of them white knight cucks, wouldnt that crowd flock towards paladins.

degenerate class such as Bard.

Degeneracy or no, there is a case to be made that bard builds can be some of the most OP single-class combat builds currently in 5e. Lore bards are straight up insane after a certain level.
Kingmaker made me realize bards are actually good class for vidia. Great force multiplier. Also bards are literally Chads from meme.
You should check out bards in Everquest. They run around zones gathering dozens of monsters, charming and singing them to death.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Larian has to step from their comfort zone and make RTwP cRPG, I say !
If we don't talk about game can we at least talk about something tasty, like bread?
Maybe larian studios should step out of their comfort zone and start making bread. Surely they're not incompetent enough to try to make bread, end up with porridge, but stay adamant that their porridge is actually bread while all their larian cultists agree with them and then tell you that they actually like porridge more than bread anyways, but it's still totally bread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom