Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
create a system by which commoners can kill easy, self replicating monsters for exps

create the revolutionary guard of level 20 commoners

overthrow the monarchy in lacrymas' world, install an egalitarian regime

Inziladun

Magister
Aasimar had some interesting thematic choices in earlier additions. Once played a campaign in Mulhorand as an Aasimar which was a descendant of the Avatar of Osiris. It was definitely different, even if it was still kind of the tired "Chosen One" trope. But that's most DnD campaigns i've played honestly. To this day though, the homebrew lifestealing class I played with him, was my favorite. But this new unofficial Echo Knight is pretty dope so far.

5e kind of killed the race just by making them glorified half angels, which is pretty boring and lame. I like the idea that they came from divine heritage and the flexibility that came from that. Also aside from the Eberron races they're one of the strongest.
Aasimar were introduced into D&D by the 1995 Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II, which defined them as the plane-touched counterpart of tieflings, differing in that, whereas tieflings have partial ancestry from something in the Lower Planes of evil, aasimar have partial ancestry from something in the Upper Planes of good.

qo9hm1.jpg

h8x79a.jpg

Is that not what I said? Or were you just adding for more detail?

Inziladun

Magister
What is the point of BG3? Except in graphics, there are anything which BG3 is superior to solasta or wotr?

Multiplayer

It's funny you say that because I can't stand the multiplayer in BG3. Anytime my buddies or I run into a battle, half of us are out of position in and forced to come into the fight late, and along the battle map borders, needing to burn whole turns just to get into range even.

Yosharian

Arcane
Advancing both fighter and mage classes simultaneously is a completely different thing to a wizard picking up a sword now and then. I'm simply making the point that you don't need to visit Eldritch Knight school or sell your soul to the devil in order to figure out how to wield a sword properly and also cast a few spells.

Wizard 1/Fighter 1 is not something that requires visiting the Red Wizards of Thay, or going on a special quest to unlock the secret power that will enable you to... swing a sword without forgetting how to cast mage armor.
No, but the average commoner can't just pick up a sword one day and instantly become an L1 fighter. It's the easiest class to qualify for, and it still needs effort, practice and training. Newly created characters got those in the background, but multiclassing mid-campaign can't be as convenient as "oh, a new level. I am now suddenly a wizard despite knowing absolutely nothing about spellcasting up till five minutes ago:.
You can adapt to things like that on the fly quite easily, for example you can say that your character discovered a power within themselves during the last fight and it has begun expressing itself in wild spellcasting power (Sorcerer) or they've been studying the spellbook of a fallen enemy Wizard and they've finally figured out how to use it to cast basic spells (Wizard) or they've been practising with a blade with the party fighter and they've finally got to a point where they are able to wield it competently (Fighter).

There is nothing in the rules which says that in order to multiclass you have to visit a special trainer or whatever, but neither does that mean I'm saying players should just become Wizards out of nowhere. It's your job as DM to facilitate the players to build the character they want to use. That's the one thing they get to be in charge of, but noooo you've arbitrarily decided that Fighter 1/Wizard 1 is just too OP and they can't do it unless they go on a special quest or go visit a special trainer. Because 'reasons'.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just dreadfully boring. I pity Lacrymas' group for having such a DM.
That idea came to me because a friend of mine always likes mundane shit in his fantasy. He once wrote a Warcraft fanfiction in which the main character was a blood elf ranger trying to get a steady government job.

There is no monarchy in my world. Unless you mean the feudal lords thing. Yeah, that's going to be set in Forgotten Realms probably.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's the easiest class to qualify for, and it still needs effort, practice and training

I talk about mid and high level stuff, but would be interesting to play as a lv 0 character.
I am currently in the process of creating a one-shot in which the players play level 0 commoners trying to pay their feudal lords their due.
Once I played a very short campaign where my friends played hobo versions of themselves. During the first session, one of them stole a peach and then broke his leg jumping off a wall. Another one got fatally injured by a cat. I think the last one ate a magic berry and died, but I'm not sure.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
You can adapt to things like that on the fly quite easily, for example you can say that your character discovered a power within themselves during the last fight and it has begun expressing itself in wild spellcasting power (Sorcerer) or they've been studying the spellbook of a fallen enemy Wizard and they've finally figured out how to use it to cast basic spells (Wizard) or they've been practising with a blade with the party fighter and they've finally got to a point where they are able to wield it competently (Fighter).
I prefer to actually roleplay this kind of stuff instead of handwaving it with a "Yeah, guys, we've been playing for half a year and I never told this to anyone before, but I've been secretly studying the way of the blade behind your back all this time". Probably a difference in perspective, proof of the importance of choosing who to play with.

There is nothing in the rules
Yes you idiot, and that's exactly the problem.

Codex Year of the Donut
I propose the following amendments to multi-classing in the rules:
remove everything referencing multi-classing, then add a section titled "there is no multiclassing" with nothing in it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
install an egalitarian regime

No. That would be awful.

It's your job as DM to facilitate the players to build the character they want to use.

Nope. Your job is to promote ROLE PLAY.

Back to my survivalist example, I would't allow create food/water in this fictional worlds. Cuz both spells would END with all of the need for survival mechanics and all intrigues about "who owns the water sources?" This doesn't mean that the player can't for eg, create a wizard or druid which his goal is to learn a way to make infertile sands fertile terrain and to discover how to transmute, create and purify water and solve the starvation problem, but I as a DM would only allow him to succeed on late stages of the campaign, so we can end a campaign with the player character being the guy who solved a great problem plaguing the world.

If the PC wanna play as a dragon born in a world without dragon born, is up to the DM to not allow it.

Multiclass is often used to bypass character weakness or create pun pun builds
What is the greatest weakness of mages on 2e? Very low survivability, worthless without spell slots or in anti magical field and very innefective against high MR mobs.
What is the weakness of Fighter/Mages on 2e? None.

remove everything referencing multi-classing, then add a section titled "there is no multiclassing" with nothing in it.

What about prestige classes? Make it "kits" like on 2E times?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yosharian

Arcane
It's your job as DM to facilitate the players to build the character they want to use.

Nope. Your job is to promote ROLE PLAY.

Back to my survivalist example, I would't allow create food/water in this fictional worlds. Cuz both spells would END with all of the need for survival mechanics and all intrigues about "who owns the water sources?" This doesn't mean that the player can't for eg, create a wizard or druid which his goal is to learn a way to make infertile sands fertile terrain and to discover how to transmute, create and purify water and solve the starvation problem, but I as a DM would only allow him to succeed on late stages of the campaign, so we can end a campaign with the player character being the guy who solved a great problem plaguing the world.

If the PC wanna play as a dragon born in a world without dragon born, is up to the DM to not allow it.

Multiclass is often used to bypass character weakness or create pun pun builds
What is the greatest weakness of mages on 2e? Very low survivability, worthless without spell slots or in anti magical field and very innefective against high MR mobs.
What is the weakness of Fighter/Mages on 2e? None.
Actually's it's the DM's job to create the game world within which the players play the game. Promoting role play is a secondary concern.

So if a player expresses a desire to play a Fighter / Mage then a good DM would facilitate that instead of saying 'no you can't because it's too OP'. Again, I'm not saying players should just become Wizards or Fighters out of nowhere. But creating arbitrary restrictions is not what a good DM does.

I mean unless it is an important part of your game world that such restrictions exist. But then, those wouldn't be arbitrary.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
create a system by which commoners can kill easy, self replicating monsters for exps

create the revolutionary guard of level 20 commoners

Noooo, their lords aren't wizards so it's actually ok regardless of what they do.

Since the Steam moderators for some unspecified reason decided to lock a previous feedback thread about how the Larian Chain is unmitigated trash, I'll take the chance to bump another old one I started on the same topic: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/1/3010053344554980425/
Just in case you care to any degree about the topic, that would be your chance to give a bump to the thread and keep it visible.

Not for my sake, but to let Larian know that "sucking ass by design" is not a good excuse.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wow, you're lucky. My dad thought I was regularly engaging in gay group sex since he couldn't believe anyone would play this Dungeons&Dragons game so much.
Oh, my mother says I'm a punishment from god because I'm not straight, so parents are gonna parent ;d

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
biggest dfference from your past purchase would be amd cpus heat less, cost less and perform better than intel now.
do keep in mind if you have the old intel = better sentiment

An old guy and an ex-con in an old house in a bad neighborhood overflowing with computer parts.

Perfect.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So if a player expresses a desire to play a Fighter / Mage then a good DM would facilitate that instead of saying 'no you can't because it's too OP'.

I din't said that. I said that I prefer more specialized characters and settings which encourages more specialization. Of course, if the player wanna plays as a F/M, I would allow that, mainly on 2e where there are trade offs. On 5e, I don't know. Can F/M learn high level magic spells like Stop Time, Wish and etc? I know that comparing magic on 5e with 2e is like comparing a airsoft gun with a cannon but I an curious.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Since the Steam moderators for some unspecified reason decided to lock a previous feedback thread about how the Larian Chain is unmitigated trash, I'll take the chance to bump another old one I started on the same topic: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/1/3010053344554980425/
Just in case you care to any degree about the topic, that would be your chance to give a bump to the thread and keep it visible.

Not for my sake, but to let Larian know that "sucking ass by design" is not a good excuse.

You are so upset about chaining and unchaining, when you should be upset about reactions.

Codex Year of the Donut
So if a player expresses a desire to play a Fighter / Mage then a good DM would facilitate that instead of saying 'no you can't because it's too OP'. Again, I'm not saying players should just become Wizards or Fighters out of nowhere. But creating arbitrary restrictions is not what a good DM does.
it's the dm's responsibility to tell them to play an eldritch knight or one of the other dozens of subclasses that enable this playstyle
multiclassing is dumb

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom